IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gay Marriage?
Gay Marriage?
Change the law to allow same-sex marriage?
Yes [ 19 ] ** [51.35%]
No [ 18 ] ** [48.65%]
Total Votes: 37
Guests cannot vote 
Simon Kirby
post Mar 11 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

The Catholic Church seems a bit angry about the idea of same-sex marriage, but what do you think?

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Mar 11 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Since when did the church start owning marriage? Pretty sure something similar existed long before the Christian church came along?

The catholic church seem to jump on this subject as a way of deflecting criticism from the horrific and continuing long term abuse of children by the clergy.

Cherry-Picking the bible? You're doing it right.

+Quote Post
stewiegriffin
post Mar 11 2012, 09:23 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,387

It'd be nice if those voting 'NO' would identify themselves and explain their reasons......

I voted yes, because who cares if 2 men or 2 women want to get married. Whose business is that other than theirs? Who are you to say they shouldn't?

And please don't go quoting the bible in your defence. Believing in the tooth fairy is not rational and will only lead to you being mocked for living in another century.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 11 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't think it should be, (and voted no), because marriage is basically a religious institution. If you want to be part of that group, you follow that groups rules. The civil partnership law allows you to have the same recognition in law so that side of it is covered which to me seems fair. I don't think it's all that important though, I care about it in the same way that I care about whether a news presenter wears a tie. It's really not that big of a deal, I just preferred it when gays weren't so in your face all the time.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 11 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #5

Guests

What kind of incessantly moronic moron would say no? Marridge is no more religious than taking a dump. All it means is showing your commitment for someone and you can be committed whether you are a man, a woman, or a monkey.
I know some gay people are they are not in your face and even don't mind the odd joke about being bummers.

So I am with stewiegriffin..if you vote no state your reasons and prepare to be shot infront of your families.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 11 2012, 06:28 PM) *

It is ironic that the Church is against gay marriages and kick up a fuss but when priests bugger and abuse children not a Dicky bird (they actually try to obstruct the police in bringing the perpetrators to justice); in fact they keep their mouth shut. The Catholic church has a history of atrocities (Inquisitions, buggering children, abuse etc) but when it comes to two homosexuals wanting to marry like heterosexuals they start getting on their high horse. Before worrying about two gay people wanting to get married maybe they should get their own house in order.

The Catholic Church is the biggest hypocrisy. Those priests that condemn gay marriages and their congregation who supports them should be lined up against a wall and shot.

We all should be treated as equals and those that try to divide should be removed from a decent society.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 11 2012, 09:52 PM) *
I don't think it should be, (and voted no), because marriage is basically a religious institution. If you want to be part of that group, you follow that groups rules. The civil partnership law allows you to have the same recognition in law so that side of it is covered which to me seems fair. I don't think it's all that important though, I care about it in the same way that I care about whether a news presenter wears a tie. It's really not that big of a deal, I just preferred it when gays weren't so in your face all the time.

And here lies the problem; "religious institutions". The Church isn't the cure, but the problem. Remove that and we will be on the road to a better society.

i voted that gay people should be able to get married.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2012, 10:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Mar 11 2012, 09:59 PM) *
What kind of incessantly moronic moron would say no? Marridge is no more religious than taking a dump. All it means is showing your commitment for someone and you can be committed whether you are a man, a woman, or a monkey.
I know some gay people are they are not in your face and even don't mind the odd joke about being bummers.

So I am with stewiegriffin..if you vote no state your reasons and prepare to be shot infront of your families.

The moron is the bigot. Remove them and you are on your way to a better society.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2012, 10:26 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (stewiegriffin @ Mar 11 2012, 09:23 PM) *
It'd be nice if those voting 'NO' would identify themselves and explain their reasons......

I voted yes, because who cares if 2 men or 2 women want to get married. Whose business is that other than theirs? Who are you to say they shouldn't?

And please don't go quoting the bible in your defence. Believing in the tooth fairy is not rational and will only lead to you being mocked for living in another century.

Good post.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 11 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (GMR @ Mar 11 2012, 10:19 PM) *
And here lies the problem; "religious institutions". The Church isn't the cure, but the problem. Remove that and we will be on the road to a better society.

i voted that gay people should be able to get married.

If you remove the church and the religious element, you just have the legal side, which would then be a civil partnership. Which is what we already have

+Quote Post
GMR
post Mar 11 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 11 2012, 10:44 PM) *
If you remove the church and the religious element, you just have the legal side, which would then be a civil partnership. Which is what we already have

Under the law it is recognised as two different entities. Under a fair society we all should be treated equally; currently we are not. On top of that the changes will come in some point in history (why continue the unfairness?). Don't forget that the Church at one time didn't recognise interracial marriages. The Church is the biggest bigotry body in the world. The Church should be leading the way in fairness, not trying to hold it back. As i said; they are hypocrites; they condemn gay marriage but turn a blind eye to their own buggering and abusing small children. It is not gay marriages that should be stamped out but bigotry and hypocrisy in the church.

+Quote Post
urZah
post Mar 12 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 378

Of course 'yes'.

There is no argument against it. And equal marriage is happening anyway so those that voted 'no', educate yourself for your sakes.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 12 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 11 2012, 09:52 PM) *
I don't think it should be, (and voted no), because marriage is basically a religious institution.

Pair-bonding is social, gender-intolerance is religious. In my view you should be free to marry who you want (siblings excepted), and as has already been said I think it would be a good idea for the fiddly-fathers of the Catholic Church to wind their necks in and not suppose that a professed belief in delusional make-believe fantasies gives them a legitimate platform to comment on the real world.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Mar 12 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Quick question. what does the world of Islam say about gay marrieage ? or are are all gays supposed to be Christian ? Try telling a Muslim that religion is irelevent in the 21st century and see where you get.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Mar 12 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Can someone tell me what the difference is in law between a marriage and a civil partnership? When my wife and I came out of the register office had we married or entered a civil partnership?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 12 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 12 2012, 09:43 AM) *
Can someone tell me what the difference is in law between a marriage and a civil partnership? When my wife and I came out of the register office had we married or entered a civil partnership?

What did it say on the bit of paper you had in your pocket?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Mar 12 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

I'll admit to being largely ignorant of the origins of marriage as we have it in this country. If it is indeed solely a Christian/Church-based ritual then my views would be broadly in line with Strafin's. In the same way that I can't understand why people who are not religious want to get married in a church, or have their kids christened.

If a civil partnership gives all the same rights under law that a marriage does, then surely the only difference is the descriptive term for the partnership - simply the word 'marriage'? It seems to me (and I may just be cynical here) that the descriptive term is important to many, but not the institution itself, given the rate of divorce in this country.

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Mar 12 2012, 09:09 AM) *
...I think it would be a good idea for the fiddly-fathers of the Catholic Church to wind their necks in...

A bit of a huge generalisation there, don't you think?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 12 2012, 09:52 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ Mar 12 2012, 09:45 AM) *
A bit of a huge generalisation there, don't you think?

Hey, I didn't start this fatwah.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 12 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Mar 12 2012, 09:43 AM) *

I believe that marriage and civil partnership create equivelent rights in law. Both marriages and civil partnerships can be solemnized in a variety of sanctioned locations. I don't think there's any legal reason why a civil partnership can't be solemnized in a church, though I have a feeling it's only the Quakers that will currently allow it in their churches. I don't believe there will be any obligation on churches solemnizing wedding for same-sex couples in the same way as churches already have the discretion whether or not to allow a particular opposite-sex couple to marry in their building, though it does create the anomolous situation of allowing the church to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in the supply of goods and services in a way that would be illegal for any other service provider.

A marriage in a register office is still a marriage, though if you feel the need to differentiate where the ceromony took place it's called a civil marriage rather than a religious marriage.

The crucial difference between a civil partnership and a marriage is that only opposite-sex partners can be married, and only same-sex partners can become civil partners - it simply discriminates against same-sex partners calling themselves "married" and enjoying the social and cultural significance of the word in order to placate the gender-intolerance of religious bigots.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Mar 12 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Hmm, so people who are religious are automatically Bigots are they. Thats interesting, didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:59 PM