Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The £30k Home
Simon Kirby
post May 14 2014, 10:17 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

We've talked before about the cost of building a home, and I'd suggested that a perfectly comfortable shed-like structure could be built for £20k. The YMCA are launching a modular building which is designed for single-person occupancy that is craned onto site furnished and completely ready to move into at a cost of £30k.

Called the Y:cube, there's more on the BBC about it here.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 14 2014, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

That's a great idea come to fruition. I must admit, after living in a couple of Central London studio flats, this would be luxury; separate bedroom. Ok, the 'look' is pretty plain, but I suspect once in production, different styles would come. I can quite see how they'd stack too, which would mean even more economical with space. Presumably, the manufactured construction means high quality heat / sound insulation?

F1

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 14 2014, 10:34 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 14 2014, 11:29 AM) *
That's a great idea come to fruition. I must admit, after living in a couple of Central London studio flats, this would be luxury; separate bedroom. Ok, the 'look' is pretty plain, but I suspect once in production, different styles would come. I can quite see how they'd stack too, which would mean even more economical with space. Presumably, the manufactured construction means high quality heat / sound insulation?

F1

I didn't see what they said about sound insulation, but they're well insulated and ecologically sound.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 14 2014, 11:20 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 14 2014, 11:29 AM) *

F1

I really wouldn't want them stacked or put close together.

No garage so of no interest to me.

Garages are a must have for any potential purchase for me. not only that but especially in built up areas it will help reduce cars parked on the road / footpaths.

the idea is good.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
gel
post May 14 2014, 11:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Soon to be available at M4 J12 @ well known Swedish store being built wink.gif
http://www.buildstore.co.uk/news/article_f...s-18449555.aspx.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 14 2014, 12:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (gel @ May 14 2014, 12:37 PM) *
Soon to be available at M4 J12 @ well known Swedish store being built wink.gif
http://www.buildstore.co.uk/news/article_f...s-18449555.aspx.

At £100k for the studio apartment the M4 flats are like 3 times the price of the Y:cube. There's nothing novel about factory built housing, timber-framed housing has been built like that for years. As I understand it the challenge with timber frame is sealing the panels from the ingress of water vapour from the habitable space and the build quality just isn't good enough when it's left to the hairy-assed builders, so constructing the structural panels in a quality-assured factory gets better results, and the extra costs is met by the savings the builder makes in time on site.

But a fully-fitted and furnished home for £30k is pretty radical, and it challenges a mobile home on price and beats it on build-quality.

The challenge is giving people access to land, which is nothing less than a thousand year old class-struggle.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 14 2014, 12:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ May 14 2014, 12:20 PM) *
I really wouldn't want them stacked or put close together.

No garage so of no interest to me.

Garages are a must have for any potential purchase for me. not only that but especially in built up areas it will help reduce cars parked on the road / footpaths.

the idea is good.

There's no reason why you couldn't have a garage. The beauty of the system is that the homes themselves are cheap to buy so if the land could be made available people would actually have somewhere to live, but I agree that people need a quality environment to live in, so garages would be good. Outside of major cities (and sometimes inside them too) there really is no great shortage of land, it's just people who would live there are not given access to it because it's owned by wealthy individuals who want to get even wealthier by selling it sparingly and keeping the demand higher than the supply, and their chums in the establishment who could do something about it won't. Twas ever thus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 14 2014, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Or buy dodging tax by owning multiple properties and renting them out, thus not only keeping a property off the market for people to buy (like me) but earning up to and over £2k a month tax free.

Like the person I rent from.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post May 14 2014, 03:58 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

Presuming the 30k is for the building only it isn't going to make that much more affordable. The land cost is the real killer around here.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 14 2014, 04:10 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (motormad @ May 14 2014, 01:04 PM) *
Or buy dodging tax by owning multiple properties and renting them out, thus not only keeping a property off the market for people to buy (like me) but earning up to and over £2k a month tax free.

I would urge you to "Dob him in" tax evasion gives all genuine landlords a bad name and should be reported. Failure to do so makes you complicit in the act.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 14 2014, 04:16 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ May 14 2014, 04:58 PM) *
Presuming the 30k is for the building only it isn't going to make that much more affordable. The land cost is the real killer around here.

It comes completely furnished and fitted for £30k so it's much more than just the building, but you're absolutely right that the plot is the killer. If you just wanted a house for yourself a single small plot around Newbury would cost you around £200k. The best way to do it would be to get together in a collective to buy a bigger site, but I'd still be surprised if the serviced plot would come in below £100k by the time you'd got planning permission and done the groundwork.

To my mind there is something utterly wrong and immoral when people can't get access to land to live on at a reasonable cost. I'm not much into an intrusive state, but this is an area where I think the state should do something. Giving housing collectives the right to compulsory purchase appropriate land for reasonable cost is one possibility, and a complete overhaul of the planning system to create a presumption in favour of sustainable development is another.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post May 14 2014, 05:06 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 14 2014, 05:16 PM) *
To my mind there is something utterly wrong and immoral when people can't get access to land to live on at a reasonable cost. I'm not much into an intrusive state, but this is an area where I think the state should do something. Giving housing collectives the right to compulsory purchase appropriate land for reasonable cost is one possibility, and a complete overhaul of the planning system to create a presumption in favour of sustainable development is another.

if land costs reduced dramatically there would be a collapse in the housing market leading to mass negative equity and another financial crisis.

So as much as someone waiting to get on the ladder might wish for it it won't happen.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 14 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (MontyPython @ May 14 2014, 06:06 PM) *
if land costs reduced dramatically there would be a collapse in the housing market leading to mass negative equity and another financial crisis.

It would depend on how the market re-normalised, but I would still expect to see a substantial reduction in the cost of buying a home, and there will be some losers. I can't see anyone choosing to address the problem because those in power have too much to lose and those who are suffering don't have a voice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 14 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 14 2014, 08:13 PM) *
It would depend on how the market re-normalised, but I would still expect to see a substantial reduction in the cost of buying a home, and there will be some losers. I can't see anyone choosing to address the problem because those in power have too much to lose and those who are suffering don't have a voice.

I've brushed on this a while ago. Such as the housing policy is, we have now a two tier society. Those with valuable equity in their homes, and those without. No party is going to do anything to devalue homes by the amount they would need to be.

While the OP suggests a practical way to shelter people, just image the ghettos that would be created and the stigma of 'owning' one. This is the first step to a glorified shanty town in the making.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 14 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 14 2014, 08:43 PM) *
While the OP suggests a practical way to shelter people, just image the ghettos that would be created and the stigma of 'owning' one. This is the first step to a glorified shanty town in the making.

Maybe, maybe not. In America living in a caravan has a social stigma (trailer-trash), so I can quite imagine that happening with Y:cube living, but it's not inevitable. Take high-rise living. It works fine in other countries, but the English experience was appalling - and like it or not it was as much about the people who were moved in as much as it was the environment itself - though the built environment was also pretty horrible.

If a Y:cube estate was well planned and designed with really excellent public space - think green and leafy rather than a concrete jungle - then it could be a really desirable place to live. Ironically enough that would drive up the value of Y:cubes, but then you just make sure supply swamped demand.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 14 2014, 10:17 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Indeed rather better than the garden shed suburbs starting to flourish in areas round London.

F2

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 15 2014, 12:46 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

What is it with signing of all your posts with F1 / f2 now mark? mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nerc
post May 15 2014, 04:54 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,319

QUOTE (motormad @ May 14 2014, 02:04 PM) *

Her we go again. Its so sad

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post May 15 2014, 07:36 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 14 2014, 09:02 PM) *
If a Y:cube estate was well planned and designed with really excellent public space - think green and leafy rather than a concrete jungle - then it could be a really desirable place to live. Ironically enough that would drive up the value of Y:cubes, but then you just make sure supply swamped demand.

Do you really believe that this type of shed environment is what we want to see in this country. At the moment, we do not fit into the third world category but my word this could well be the catalyst.

These sheds will have a life expectancy of twenty years, will require main drain, and other services connected and will morph into the shanty town of the future. At least the prefabs that we had post war were decent homes. They in turn replaced nissen hut and horsa glider box living post war.

We then come to who will pay for these units. Will they go out to market. Just look at the options. There will need to be leasehold land to place them, then the prospective buyer will, as well as paying the ground rental, have to find £30k for the privilege of ownership. I can see the mortgage lenders rushing to finance those packages. That followed by the depreciation will make them an unsaleable commodity when the owner wishes to move out of the ghetto. Then of course they don't have a garage. An important factor as most of the prospective owners would drive expensive cars that couldn't be left out at night as the neighbours would vandalise them.

QUOTE (motormad @ May 14 2014, 12:20 PM) *
I really wouldn't want them stacked or put close together. No garage so of no interest to me. Garages are a must have for any potential purchase for me. not only that but especially in built up areas it will help reduce cars parked on the road / footpaths. the idea is good.

+Quote Post
motormad
post May 15 2014, 08:32 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (nerc @ May 15 2014, 05:54 AM) *
Her we go again. Its so sad

You're so sad.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:29 PM