IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weekly bin Collections or not??, Local & National Tories at odds...
Richard Garvie
post Sep 30 2011, 08:17 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

So the Tory led Government are saying we should reinstate weekly bin collections across the country. At the same time, our local Tories are scrapping weekly bin collections. Do they not speak to each other?

For the record, I wouldn't mind fortnightly collections providing the proposals were realistic and well consulted on. I don't think the proposals are effective enough, and certainly have not been consulted upon. Maybe the council should delay changes for six months until a consultation has taken place and national policy becomes clearer?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gel
post Sep 30 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Agree there was nowhere near enough consultation on this & blink.gif Benyon blink.gif
should speak to Minister Pickles on this, which WBC have tried to slip through unnoticed. angry.gif

Pickles is committed to return of weekly collections, where they've been discontinued.

Localism not in action at WBC!

Prior to this stealth action, there was a committment to remain weekly which is what majority want,
& the recycling programme already shows a substantial improvement in recent years, in amount
WBC residents recycle.

Of course Cameroon pronounced yesterday, war on Supermarket's plastic bags yesterday too,
which in this household are all recycled anyway, and used to place rubbish in prior to dumping in bin.

If they then are no longer issued we'll then have to buy plastic bags to do same job;
with all the current issues relating to economy/immigration/unemployment/European interference in all matters/
UK troops dying weekly in foreign **** holes, he has clearly no idea of what concerns taxpayers have.

wink.gifUPDATE
New funding made available by Pickles to return to weekly collections.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8...ollections.html
WBC: Get with it; stop the change.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 30 2011, 09:14 AM
Post #3

Guests

Mr Pickles looks like a full moon.

Fortnightly is enough. My flatmate and I probably throw out 3 bags over a fortnight. Our bin is fairly small. A larger family may use more but then I'm sure if they were more efficient with their waste it wouldn't be half as bad.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 30 2011, 09:24 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Sep 30 2011, 09:17 AM) *
So the Tory led Government are saying we should reinstate weekly bin collections across the country. At the same time, our local Tories are scrapping weekly bin collections. Do they not speak to each other?

For the record, I wouldn't mind fortnightly collections providing the proposals were realistic and well consulted on. I don't think the proposals are effective enough, and certainly have not been consulted upon. Maybe the council should delay changes for six months until a consultation has taken place and national policy becomes clearer?

We do get weekly bin collections, and will continue to do so.

It is a shame. The waste disposal arrangement is one of the things I thought this council had done well, but now it might not be as convenient as it used to. The problem Newbury has is the election bribe council tax is lower than it aught to be, or the settlement isn't enough.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 30 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 30 2011, 10:14 AM) *
Fortnightly is enough.

In your opinion.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Sep 30 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

West Berkshire have been very slow to react to improving recycling and waste collection processes in other areas. I don't see the problem with having the black bins collected one week, recycling the following week. But there was no consulation on this, just like the day centre closures. Why not?

+Quote Post
Jack
post Sep 30 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 283

I am quite content for a fortnightly collection, my black bin is scarcely used, as my wife and I do our best to recycle as much as we are able to. I just wish WBC were better at it. What we don't want is a rediculous proliferation of recepticles which rather litter the streets and front gardens and provide an unwelcome sight.
I pity the people who have small gardens and no proper bin storage. What happens in the many blocks of luxury and not so luxury flats that we have in Newbury ?

Housing associations, developers and planners should be building in proper waste storage provision to remove the unsightly black bins, greens bins, green boxes, green bags etc. I wish Government would introduce a national standard for recepticles and recycling methods

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 30 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I'm not sure how the changes make much saving. Willing to be enlightened, but the amount of waste presumably does not change, and the contract with Veolia presumably has no 'saving' clause if the serviuce level is reduced (as Veolia will have staffed and equipped for the collection arrangements in place)?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 30 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 30 2011, 10:37 AM) *
In your opinion.

Yup, conceed. But it is enough. We don't even really recycle, most of our rubbish is packet food (say the bags to some chips or chicken or something), pots of supernoodles and packets of instant crap.

We have recycling bins as it's a community bin area. We don't contribute to the pile all that much however last time I checked it was quite overflowing. I'm not actually sure what our bin day is and I've livered there for nearly a year.

huh.gif

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Sep 30 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

I'm presuming the reduced service will enable Veolia to deliver the waste contract without overspending. Once again, instead of enforcing a contract it would appear WBDC are willing to change the goalposts to suit anyone other than the local residents!!! As long as they hit those target then...

My concern is that this will be backed up when the budget for next year is decided. It's not always about cost, some services have huge value to the local community (like day centres) and the council would rather take a punt on the future care of the elderly and disabled rather than properly researching and consulting on something. Now they have axed weekly bin collections because they are overspending, what next? The remaining day centres? Libraries?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Sep 30 2011, 05:34 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Sep 30 2011, 02:12 PM) *
I'm not sure how the changes make much saving. Willing to be enlightened, but the amount of waste presumably does not change, and the contract with Veolia presumably has no 'saving' clause if the serviuce level is reduced (as Veolia will have staffed and equipped for the collection arrangements in place)?

I'm not sure this is about saving money. The benefit as I see it is that the amount of biodegradable waste going to landfill is halved. With the land-fill tax it's possible that there's a cost incentive to compost biodegradables, but there's certainly an environmental incentive as biodegradables in landfill produce methane which is twenty times the carbon footprint of the carbon dioxide that aerobically composted biodegradables generate.

I thought the idea was sound (if WBC had addressed the pooh-problem, which they hadn't), and I'm disappointed that Eric Pickles has stuck his big fat central government nose into our local business.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 30 2011, 06:57 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I haven't gone into the detail, but hasn't the Govt simply said 'if people want weekly collections they should have them'? And then offered to pay the cost which the Councils had had taken away?
Waste disposal, like so many 'good things' is becoming a massive earner for not much overall benefit to the communities. Much of what I throw out is unwanted newspaper inserts, flyers, junk mail, stuff thrust through the letterbox, obscenely excessive packaging.
Half the business world is creating waste, the other half is making a mint getting rid of it 'for us'.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Sep 30 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

I, as do most of those on here from previous posts do my utmost when it comes to recycling.

I have noticed though that many businesses who are high end users of plastics and glass (I'm thinking pubs) seem to have either no incentive or inclination to recycle!

Some years ago I worked in a pub where every other day, we used to crate up the Non returnable bottles and take them to the recycling bins at Tesco.

Call me cynical but don't think any local pub does that or similar!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Sep 30 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Cynical maybe...

Are WBC simply withdrawing weekly collections in order to obtain Govt. funding to put it back?

as I said, cynical...

+Quote Post
gel
post Oct 1 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

And perhaps our dry.gif MP dry.gif would seek to justify this waste of £100k plus,
his Government Dept has justified re recyling congratulation
messages to the residents of Bolton, a well known Conservative stronghold (not!).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ng-bins-out.htm

Benyons Boss is supposed to be reining in expenditure.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 2 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...g-bins-out.html

+Quote Post
gel
post Oct 2 2011, 08:35 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 2 2011, 01:37 AM) *

Same link as my earlier post;
try this one instead:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegra...he-rubbish.html

WBC & Cllr Hilary Cole, get on message angry.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 2 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Your link didn't work, you didn't copy and paste the whole thing.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 2 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 2 2011, 11:01 AM) *

It works for me.

+Quote Post
gel
post Oct 2 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Oct 2 2011, 11:01 AM) *

Incorrect comment!

The board s/ware shortens link you see but when clicked on uses whole URL.

+Quote Post

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:54 AM