IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Odd sound around midnight North of Newbury/M4, Sounded like from direction of A34/ Gore Hill E Ilsley
gel
post Jan 13 2012, 10:41 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 337

East/ W Ilsley:

Did anyone else here a strange whining sound last night around midnight; must have gone on for around an hour.?

The way wind was blowing last night we could hear unusually A34 road noise, (We're 3 miles from A34) and I wondered whether there was some planing/resurfacing going on in small hours?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 13 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Guests

It was me burying the dead hitchhiker, sorry if it disturbed you. smile.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 13 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 13 2012, 01:59 PM) *
It was me burying the dead hitchhiker, sorry if it disturbed you. smile.gif

In future can you be quiet about it? I always am.

+Quote Post
user23
post Jan 13 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 13 2012, 10:41 AM) *
East/ W Ilsley:

Did anyone else here a strange whining sound last night around midnight; must have gone on for around an hour.?

The way wind was blowing last night we could hear unusually A34 road noise, (We're 3 miles from A34) and I wondered whether there was some planing/resurfacing going on in small hours?
Perhaps that lot who don't want the incinerator in Chieveley had a meeting?

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 13 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Jan 13 2012, 05:37 PM) *
Perhaps that lot who don't want the incinerator in Chieveley had a meeting?

rolleyes.gif
Had a leaflet from that very organisation through door today;
the impact as illustrated will be overwhelming;

And of course Grundon has no contract regards WBC area waste, but another
fortnightly provider has ohmy.gif)

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 14 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 13 2012, 05:52 PM) *
rolleyes.gif
Had a leaflet from that very organisation through door today;
the impact as illustrated will be overwhelming;

The trouble with the picture is that it shows how overwhelming the incinerator will be on the M4 - forgive me but the M4 is not exactly a feature of the area of outstanding natural beauty that I would feel the need to protect.
QUOTE (gel @ Jan 13 2012, 05:52 PM) *
And of course Grundon has no contract regards WBC area waste, but another fortnightly provider has ohmy.gif)

The issue regarding WBC waste is a total red herring. Grundon have been open enough about the purpose of the facility - it is for the processing of waste from all over the place - quite possibly Veolia will send some WBC waste there, but it is not for any specific area's waste.

Look on it as a national facility - a power station. We use electricity in West Berks - at present we don't have a power station - which is obviously unfair on the poor regions that have more than one. At last we can have a nice big power station, fueled by rubbish - brilliant! wink.gif

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 14 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 14 2012, 12:25 AM) *
The trouble with the picture is that it shows how overwhelming the incinerator will be on the M4 - forgive me but the M4 is not exactly a feature of the area of outstanding natural beauty that I would feel the need to protect.

The issue regarding WBC waste is a total red herring. Grundon have been open enough about the purpose of the facility - it is for the processing of waste from all over the place - quite possibly Veolia will send some WBC waste there, but it is not for any specific area's waste.

Look on it as a national facility - a power station. We use electricity in West Berks - at present we don't have a power station - which is obviously unfair on the poor regions that have more than one. At last we can have a nice big power station, fueled by rubbish - brilliant! wink.gif

Totally inapropriate for a rural setting/ AONB, unlike the Colnbrook one for example.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 14 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 14 2012, 11:22 AM) *
Totally inapropriate for a rural setting/ AONB, unlike the Colnbrook one for example.

Yes, only issue is that it isn't a rural setting now. The showground seems set on expansion and in the proximity is a rather large service station and hotel complex. This will at least be landscaped.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
gel
post Jan 14 2012, 09:54 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 14 2012, 09:30 PM) *
Yes, only issue is that it isn't a rural setting now. The showground seems set on expansion and in the proximity is a rather large service station and hotel complex. This will at least be landscaped.

Compared to Colnbrook (their nearest other Burning Factory) it most certainly is rural.
Is in an AONB, wheras Colnbrook as an area with no beauty..fullstop.

Allowing this, will speed up infill between it & Voadafone, which is currently still undeveloped.

Showground shouldn't have been allowed either IMO.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 15 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (gel @ Jan 14 2012, 09:54 PM) *
Compared to Colnbrook (their nearest other Burning Factory) it most certainly is rural.
Is in an AONB, wheras Colnbrook as an area with no beauty..fullstop.

Allowing this, will speed up infill between it & Voadafone, which is currently still undeveloped.

Showground shouldn't have been allowed either IMO.

Thinking about what you've been saying - you are probably right. Its all the little bit here and a special case there and before your very eyes all fully developed. I seem to remember a famous local politician claiming that there was no chance development would go up to the new bypass! We were also told that the 'Show ground' was an exception and rural in reality. So it goes on. I write this having been along what was the Guildford Bypass (A3) this afternoon. My grandfather was involved with the original construction in the 1930s - after an Act of Parliament, the then Transport Minister said that we've seen what happened in Kingston - Guildford will escape the worst excesses of ribbon development. Given what's happened since - presumably the rotations of his grave could now be used to generate green energy?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Mikey3
post Jan 19 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 8,495

fear that we have wandered off topic somewhat with discussion of the proposed Chieveley EfW. Unfortunately I cannot offer enlightenment to the noise around midnight, but on the subject of Grundon I feel obliged to point out to Gel that his image is not what the thing will look like, but is actually Grundon’s Colnbrook facility superimposed over a picture of the M4.

Attached File  C0830_Scene_7_flat_Rev_A.jpg ( 492.35K ) Number of downloads: 4

I copied this image from the planning application which can be found here: WBC Planning Department WBC are still receiving comments on the proposals up until the 31st of January.

Having seen the application and the visual impact assessment I don't think that it will be that bad. If you consider that it will deal with non-recyclable waste without landfill and produce energy, it actually seems quite a good idea.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:59 PM