> CCTV hub will move to Maidenhead, Outsourcing CCTV
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 14 2009, 10:12 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 10 2009, 09:09 AM) *
I would imagine there will be operators feeling bad about the loss of their jobs, but while there might be a saving of £100,000.00, it might come as a reduced service as well.

I have heard that the cameras will not be operated at night; only on record mode. Also, we lose the local knowledge the current operators might have, which under certain circumstances, can help to save police time.

I'm not sure of the relevance of where the CCTV is located and whether it is recorded or someone is looking at it 'Live'. In this day and age if a violent crime takes place such as GBH, Assault, attemped Murder or Murder the Police would not 'intervene' until the crime had finished taking place. Elf & Safety don't you know.

http://www.womenagainstrape.net/war%20webs...rverMarch07.htm

....So you may as well just record 'crime' on tape.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 14 2009, 10:41 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 14 2009, 10:12 AM) *
I'm not sure of the relevance of where the CCTV is located and whether it is recorded or someone is looking at it 'Live'. In this day and age if a violent crime takes place such as GBH, Assault, attemped Murder or Murder the Police would not 'intervene' until the crime had finished taking place. Elf & Safety don't you know.

http://www.womenagainstrape.net/war%20webs...rverMarch07.htm

....So you may as well just record 'crime' on tape.

I would like to refer you to my previous post in this thread.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 15 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I was interested in reading in the Newbury Advertiser today that WBC have said that the CCTV team's move was a good idea and was a potentially a 'win win' situation. But I've talked to a few police officers and they have told me that they disagree with the move, and our resident forum patrolling police officers also don't think it is a good idea. Talking to people in the street (which I have done) and seeing the replies on here nobody thinks it is a good idea other than WBC. Either they know something we don't or they are totally out of tune with the people they represent in Newbury and surrounding areas.

it is also interesting to note that when the NWN asked Thames Valley police their take on it they decided not to comment. So reading between the lines not even the police back this 'brilliant' idea of theirs. The conclusions one can draw from this is that this is a money exercise only and the public's welfare must take second billing.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 16 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (GMR @ Dec 15 2009, 06:57 PM) *
I was interested in reading in the Newbury Advertiser today that WBC have said that the CCTV team's move was a good idea and was a potentially a 'win win' situation. But I've talked to a few police officers and they have told me that they disagree with the move, and our resident forum patrolling police officers also don't think it is a good idea. Talking to people in the street (which I have done) and seeing the replies on here nobody thinks it is a good idea other than WBC. Either they know something we don't or they are totally out of tune with the people they represent in Newbury and surrounding areas.

it is also interesting to note that when the NWN asked Thames Valley police their take on it they decided not to comment. So reading between the lines not even the police back this 'brilliant' idea of theirs. The conclusions one can draw from this is that this is a money exercise only and the public's welfare must take second billing.

The answer is that West Berks Council are £1m in deficit, probably because they have not planned their budget very well.
Losing the CCTV department will save them money. Never mind putting the public at risk.
So you can expect your Council tax to be rising again next year to compensate for the "oversight"

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 16 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 16 2009, 09:20 AM) *
The answer is that West Berks Council are £1m in deficit, probably because they have not planned their budget very well.
Losing the CCTV department will save them money. Never mind putting the public at risk.
So you can expect your Council tax to be rising again next year to compensate for the "oversight"
How could they have planned for the current recession?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 16 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 16 2009, 06:22 PM) *
How could they have planned for the current recession?

How would the recession affect the council?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 16 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 16 2009, 06:55 PM) *

Their costs go up and receipts go down, mainly.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Dec 16 2009, 07:27 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 16 2009, 09:20 AM) *

So it is not a 'win-win' situation but a hope that they save money and sod everything else.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 16 2009, 08:44 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 16 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Their costs go up and receipts go down, mainly.

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Council tax is unchanged, as are the costs. There might be more people claiming benefits and therefore a little more help being given out but other than that I don't see it.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 16 2009, 09:13 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 16 2009, 08:44 PM) *
I'm sorry, I just don't see it. Council tax is unchanged, as are the costs. There might be more people claiming benefits and therefore a little more help being given out but other than that I don't see it.

Whether you see it or not, doesn't matter, but it is true.

UK recession causes sharp drop in council income

* One in five councils is providing local people with help with their mortgage payments
* Eight in ten councils have concentrated resources on ensuring local people receive take up of the benefits they are eligible for
* Half of councils have set up or supported credit unions to help local people borrow money from a reliable source
* One in four councils has allowed businesses to defer paying their rates
* Seven in ten councils have provided or plan to provide tailored support to local business

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 16 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Dec 16 2009, 09:13 PM) *
Whether you see it or not, doesn't matter, but it is true.

Could you please elaborate a bit? How does a recession affect the council? They have the same income, no matter what, and generally since the recession kicked in stuff has gotten cheaper.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 16 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 16 2009, 09:19 PM) *
Could you please elaborate a bit? How does a recession affect the council? They have the same income, no matter what

No they don't.

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 16 2009, 09:19 PM) *
and generally since the recession kicked in stuff has gotten cheaper.

UK recession causes sharp drop in council income

* Sales of land, council buildings and other capital projects have fallen by £2.7bn since 2007/08
* Interest earned on councils' cash deposits has fallen by £1.3bn since 2007/08 due to low interest rates.
* One in five councils is providing local people with help with their mortgage payments
* Eight in ten councils have concentrated resources on ensuring local people receive take up of the benefits they are eligible for
* Half of councils have set up or supported credit unions to help local people borrow money from a reliable source
* One in four councils has allowed businesses to defer paying their rates
* Seven in ten councils have provided or plan to provide tailored support to local business

Councils feel the pressure as recession deepens

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 16 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Wel that's not really very conclusive, there is nothing there coming from any source other than the LGA, however it did make me think about revenue streams that I hadn't thought about that could be affected. The piece raised some points about expenditure that I wouldn't have thought about either but I don't really believe the figures given. Well done Iommi though, you have certainly raised some good and interesting points.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 16 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 16 2009, 09:32 PM) *
Wel that's not really very conclusive, there is nothing there coming from any source other than the LGA, however it did make me think about revenue streams that I hadn't thought about that could be affected. The piece raised some points about expenditure that I wouldn't have thought about either but I don't really believe the figures given. Well done Iommi though, you have certainly raised some good and interesting points.

I should have added a provision that one should, like you have, treat any information with caution.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 17 2009, 08:28 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 16 2009, 06:55 PM) *
Less income from new housing for a start and Iommi has highlighted many other reasons.

All budgets take into account X amount of growth a year and the income from that is factored into their budget. If that grown doesn't happen, like any organisation there's a shortfall.

As they said, whether you see it or not, doesn't matter, but it is true.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 17 2009, 10:38 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 17 2009, 08:28 AM) *
Less income from new housing for a start and Iommi has highlighted many other reasons.

All budgets take into account X amount of growth a year and the income from that is factored into their budget. If that grown doesn't happen, like any organisation there's a shortfall.

As they said, whether you see it or not, doesn't matter, but it is true.

So basically what we are saying is we should expect a big % increase in our Council tax next year. Great. How about looking at methods of reducing expenditure?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 17 2009, 10:42 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Apart from sale of land and income from investments, all the other examples given are to do with increased outgoings and nothing to do with income.

I imagine that the current disastrously low interest rates have quite a bit to do with reduced income. Perhaps things will improve when we come out of recession and inflation gets going again.

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 17 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 17 2009, 10:38 AM) *
So basically what we are saying is we should expect a big % increase in our Council tax next year. Great. How about looking at methods of reducing expenditure?
Great idea, how about them moving the CCTV hub to Maidenhead.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 17 2009, 01:46 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 17 2009, 01:35 PM) *
Great idea, how about them moving the CCTV hub to Maidenhead.

Brilliant, seldom do you see the thread go full circle laugh.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Dec 17 2009, 01:48 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 17 2009, 10:42 AM) *
Apart from sale of land and income from investments, all the other examples given are to do with increased outgoings and nothing to do with income.

WHICH IS WHY I SAID EXPENDITURE GOES UP AND AND RECEIPTS GO DOWN...WHAT IS HARD TO UNDERSTAND HERE? rolleyes.gif

The examples are just that...examples. There are other items like parking revenue can decline and people default on council tax, etc...

..there are some knuckle heads on this board!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:42 AM