Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dross, Dross and More Dross in the Newbury Weekly News, Picture Overload
Blake
post Jul 24 2013, 11:31 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

I read the last copy of the Newbury Weekly News in probably the shortest time ever...there was actually not much to read!

There was a puerile series of pages on school prom photos with juvenile captions added across them. PAGES AND PAGES OF THEM!

There was also another series of photo pages on other local events. If I want to buy something full of pointless photos, I will buy Hello or OK! magazines.

In any case, I can honestly say, such photographs are of supreme indifference to readers. Yes, we want something to read, not look at.

It would be good if the editor could restrict the newspaper to a maximum of ten photographs per edition for awhile. The focus has drifted off editorial and news and towards sensation and vacuity.

It's time this once great paper got back to its roots and shunned tacky sensationalism.

Oh, and the use of spell check would not go amiss either.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 24 2013, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 24 2013, 12:31 PM) *
I read the last copy of the Newbury Weekly News in probably the shortest time ever...there was actually not much to read!

There was a puerile series of pages on school prom photos with juvenile captions added across them. PAGES AND PAGES OF THEM!

There was also another series of photo pages on other local events. If I want to buy something full of pointless photos, I will buy Hello or OK! magazines.

In any case, I can honestly say, such photographs are of supreme indifference to readers. Yes, we want something to read, not look at.

It would be good if the editor could restrict the newspaper to a maximum of ten photographs per edition for awhile. The focus has drifted off editorial and news and towards sensation and vacuity.

It's time this once great paper got back to its roots and shunned tacky sensationalism.

I'm guessing that you have not got any school prom age children ....

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 24 2013, 01:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I guess Dannyboy has a once a year point. I must say the idea of outdoing everyone by outlandish snaps is new to me.
But then I don't read Hello either. I did look at the e-page and the other pages of snaps as well.

I have enjoyed looking at the old snap pages on Newbury net. Some give good records of fashion,cars and
1960s architecture. I have one I am thinking of adding. I borrowed and scanned it. Of the Newbury Tennis club
circa 1930-40. Interesting cloche hats the ladies were wearing. One of the faces is of the future father of
Huw Lloyd-Langton. Co-founder of Hawkwind. Does that give "Silver Machine" a tenuous link to Newbury.

These happy kids will have a chuckle from on high when their old prom days are unearthed in a shoe box
in a dusty loft. As for the spell-check. Front page stories, shorter than wot I have wrote sometimes make no sense either.
I know I need a "This is rubbish" checker for some of my well thought out posts.
ce

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jul 24 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Just like most of the posts on this forum then.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 24 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Completely agree on that one Motormad. Posting stops most of us making complete fools of ourselves.
Oh "OK Doctor", it seems that is what is going on anyway!
ce.
Back to Morrisons.... keep the heathen North at bay.
Ey oop, Wrong thread!. Tee Hee.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 24 2013, 03:19 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Blake @ Jul 24 2013, 12:31 PM) *

Don't buy it then! wink.gif
I don't since they applied over-inflation price rises! dry.gif
(How much is it now anyway?)
I've also noticed that the letters page contains either ones from local politicians fighting amongst each other or charity leaders asking or thanking for support and donations.
Very few now from yer average reader.
Perhaps they are all on here!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jul 24 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 24 2013, 04:19 PM) *
Don't buy it then! wink.gif
I don't since they applied over-inflation price rises! dry.gif
(How much is it now anyway?)
I've also noticed that the letters page contains either ones from local politicians fighting amongst each other or charity leaders asking or thanking for support and donations.
Very few now from yer average reader.
Perhaps they are all on here!! tongue.gif

Yes, some local councillors use it to sling mud at each other like children. Gets pretty boring too.

Letters pages can be interesting but now we only normally get one page. We had three pages of them once which was far more interesting and more readers could have a say.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 24 2013, 03:54 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

I looked up the History of NWN . Wiki comes up with an interesting snap of 4 soldiers around a jeep in 1943 Italy.
Reading the NWN. Their prom photo.
My local paper is dominated in both articles and letters by political comment. You can't even set fire to a stolen scooter
without a councilor breathing down your neck for a social angle.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 24 2013, 04:03 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Here's a laugh.I noted that Blake used councilor and I was intending to use councillor,
so looking it up there is this helpful note from gingersoftware on a google page

Keep using councilor instead of counselor? Check out Ginger's spelling book and make sure you never confuse councilor and councilor again
ce.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 25 2013, 02:06 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jul 24 2013, 05:03 PM) *
Here's a laugh.I noted that Blake used councilor and I was intending to use councillor,
so looking it up there is this helpful note from gingersoftware on a google page

Keep using councilor instead of counselor? Check out Ginger's spelling book and make sure you never confuse councilor and councilor again
ce.

Singularly useless piece of software since it uses American spelling (e.g. turns councillor into councilor and traveller into traveler. Not to mention complaining about colour. Uninstalling.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 26 2013, 10:46 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

It seems that the letters page of the paper, as discussed before, is now devoid of your average "Joe Public".
I just wondered why this is.
Are they edited out by the paper, or are there just not the contributions any more that are worth publishing?
Perhaps the electronic age has superseded the letters page and all now communicate via the internet, such as forums, Twitter, Facebook etc.
Having said that the letters pages of the nationals seem to be full, but then of course they have a much wider audience.
Many of the past contributors to the NWN letters seem to have disappeared. I know GMR is now on here but what has happened to Stan Green, Paul Walter, etc.?
Maybe they have all moved on here and I am talking to them now?! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
DJE
post Aug 9 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,761

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jul 24 2013, 05:03 PM) *
ce.

Um... as far as I can see, councilor is the same as councilor. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 9 2013, 04:12 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Yes DJE.
In some cases I am CJE. A long lost ? ... forget it.
Yes I was quoting Gingersoftware's spiel about their own product on a Google advert.
And they had mistakenly repeated the error that was part of their product to not do.[sic] (I said that.) mellow.gif
Anyway that is my garbled version of what they were trying to sell.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Aug 9 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Joining with another thread from Simon Kirby about censored language.
I posted about soldiers reading a copy of the NWN in wartime Italy.
I wonder if I mention that it was a Willys Jeep if it will be asterisked.
Yup what else is there to do other than make fun at the expense of the forum?
ce

Answer is no.

+Quote Post
Jay Sands
post Sep 9 2013, 11:13 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 894

A few weeks ago I posted a message on this forum about illegal fishing in the River Lambourn. Since then we have had various emails from the Environment Agency, West Berks Council, Newbury Town Council and the local angling association about this matter. I forwarded these a week ago to the Editor of NWN, Brien Beharrall, and also to their chief reporter, John Garvey, as we thought it might be a useful and interesting article for the local newspaper.

Neither one has had the courtesy to even acknowledge my email although I know it's been read. It's fine if they don't think that there is a story here but it seems to me to be extremely ill mannered and unprofessional not to bother to respond, even if it's to say thanks but no thanks.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 9 2013, 01:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Jay Sands @ Sep 9 2013, 12:13 PM) *
A few weeks ago I posted a message on this forum about illegal fishing in the River Lambourn. Since then we have had various emails from the Environment Agency, West Berks Council, Newbury Town Council and the local angling association about this matter. I forwarded these a week ago to the Editor of NWN, Brien Beharrall, and also to their chief reporter, John Garvey, as we thought it might be a useful and interesting article for the local newspaper.

Neither one has had the courtesy to even acknowledge my email although I know it's been read. It's fine if they don't think that there is a story here but it seems to me to be extremely ill mannered and unprofessional not to bother to respond, even if it's to say thanks but no thanks.

I quite agree, that is discourteous of them. Perhaps they have been on holiday or something.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 9 2013, 01:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Neither one has had the courtesy to even acknowledge my email although I know it's been read.

This is nothing to do with your particular case, and whether they are being discourteous or not.

However, I personally find it a bit off if someone sends me an email and requests notification of receipt. It's as though they don't trust me to read my emails, and I certainly feel less well disposed to reply to them.

+Quote Post
Jay Sands
post Sep 9 2013, 01:36 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 894

QUOTE (JeffG @ Sep 9 2013, 02:08 PM) *
This is nothing to do with your particular case, and whether they are being discourteous or not.

However, I personally find it a bit off if someone sends me an email and requests notification of receipt. It's as though they don't trust me to read my emails, and I certainly feel less well disposed to reply to them.

I had sent it more than once and received no response and so I asked for a read receipt to make sure it was actually getting there.

I don't think it's anything to do with trusting the receiver to read their emails but on occasion the person you've sent an email to simply doesn't receive it, if you request a read receipt you at least know that it's been received and read.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Sep 9 2013, 02:07 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

You know read-reciepts, especially if sent and viewed in Outlook, and between different versions of outlook - are very, very unreliable.

People who ask for read receipts, or send as high priority when it's actually not, are by and large idiots anyway.

I suspect as reporters they are very busy and cannot reply to every e-mail ever sent to them, let alone waste their time by saying "no thanks". What a waste of life.

To be honest you sound like a 15 year old girl who's boyfriend didn't text her back immediately.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 9 2013, 03:20 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (motormad @ Sep 9 2013, 03:07 PM) *
You know read-reciepts, especially if sent and viewed in Outlook, and between different versions of outlook - are very, very unreliable.

People who ask for read receipts, or send as high priority when it's actually not, are by and large idiots anyway.

I suspect as reporters they are very busy and cannot reply to every e-mail ever sent to them, let alone waste their time by saying "no thanks". What a waste of life.

To be honest you sound like a 15 year old girl who's boyfriend didn't text her back immediately.

Come on MM, you can't base an argument on your own suppositions then slag the OP of as if it is fact. I very much doubt they are over-run with stories to follow up.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:45 AM