IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sham Weddings, I think it's the reporting that's a sham!
Ben01635
post Oct 25 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 270

Just seen this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/25/i...eddings-arrests and have to say that I think this is media hype to make us believe they are being tough on immigration.
My reasoning for this?..... I got married earlier this year having been with my now wife for 5 years. She was born in the States but moved here with her family at the age of 7 and was granted indefinite leave. She has been educated in this country, has worked and paid taxes since the age of 16 and has now married a British citizen. Despite all this, for her to become naturalised as they now call it she has to pay approx £1000, and take a citizenship test. We have both decided that it's not worth the hassle, but of course she still cannot vote or be issued with a British Passport.

If it is so hard and expensive for a legitimate applicant to be granted naturalisation even after getting married, what on earth does disrupting these weddings do apart from make great headline stories!?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Oct 25 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Ben01635 @ Oct 25 2010, 05:19 PM) *
Just seen this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/oct/25/i...eddings-arrests and have to say that I think this is media hype to make us believe they are being tough on immigration.
My reasoning for this?..... I got married earlier this year having been with my now wife for 5 years. She was born in the States but moved here with her family at the age of 7 and was granted indefinite leave. She has been educated in this country, has worked and paid taxes since the age of 16 and has now married a British citizen. Despite all this, for her to become naturalised as they now call it she has to pay approx £1000, and take a citizenship test. We have both decided that it's not worth the hassle, but of course she still cannot vote or be issued with a British Passport.

If it is so hard and expensive for a legitimate applicant to be granted naturalisation even after getting married, what on earth does disrupting these weddings do apart from make great headline stories!?

I think the difference is asylum seekers, I presume the police suspect he was getting married in a bid to stay in the UK. There was a report in the media last week of a vicar encouraging illegal immigrants to marry in his church to enable them to stay in this country and I recall a Lithuanian marrying a nigerian (may have the nationalities mixed up here) so they were given right to stay, although they both were illegal, because they had got married here. I do agree the authorities are not being tough on immigration, but at least this maqy be a start.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:06 PM