Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bollarding - A variation on a theme?
spartacus
post Feb 3 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

Bored with attempting to ram raid the town centre when the bollards are up, it seems some motorists have now resorted to water-sports to get their jollies and write-off their motors......
Ooopss... that's deeper than I thought.....

Presumably the same arguments will be used by this errant motorist? "Lack of signs....unfamiliar with the area... following my SatNav which said it would be ok." Perhaps a compensation claim will be submitted against the council too to cover the cost of a written off vehicle?

I would assume warning signs were up (?), but as we know from the bollards, signs are just background noise for some drivers. What idiot goes through a ford at this time of year and at night....(unless you're driving a tractor, or are Jeremy Clarkson road testing some sports car for the BBC rolleyes.gif )

And to be stuck to an extent that it requires two fire tenders, a rescue support vehicle, a water rescue unit from Reading AND the police??! It's scary that they are out there ........and they're using the same roads you and I are using.......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 3 2010, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

In fairness I dobt the driver chose to have all those units there, we know what the emergency are like, look at what happened when someone dropped a pritt stick in the library! Driving through a ford is a bit chancy, but at least you can see it and make your choice. I haven't heard of anyone getting stuck in there for ages though.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 3 2010, 04:54 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (spartacus @ Feb 3 2010, 01:54 PM) *
It's scary that they are out there ........and they're using the same roads you and I are using.......

Like the *wat in the Black 4x4 on the Robin Hood yesterday who came straight through the Red Traffic Lights across in front of me in his haste to turn right toward the town, as i was turning right from the London Rd. to go North Bound. He looked completely oblivious to the Lights whatsoever !! As**ole. angry.gif
While on the subject of the Robin Hood, anyone else notice that the Lights were out around 10.45am this morning, no traffic queues whatsoever ( not even *wats in Black 4x4s ! ). Upon returning around 12.00am Lights back on, usual queues. huh.gif

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 6 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 3 2010, 04:54 PM) *
Like the *wat in the Black 4x4 on the Robin Hood yesterday who came straight through the Red Traffic Lights across in front of me in his haste to turn right toward the town, as i was turning right from the London Rd. to go North Bound. He looked completely oblivious to the Lights whatsoever !! As**ole. angry.gif
While on the subject of the Robin Hood, anyone else notice that the Lights were out around 10.45am this morning, no traffic queues whatsoever ( not even *wats in Black 4x4s ! ). Upon returning around 12.00am Lights back on, usual queues. huh.gif

What's a *wat and what do they do ? laugh.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 18 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Newbury's Infamous Bollards Srike Again.

"I had no intention of going down Northbrook Street"

Que??

"but the next thing I knew this bollard came right up through the car.”

No they didn't YOU impaled your car with them.

Is this an example of a *wat? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
HJD
post Feb 18 2010, 03:38 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2010, 12:03 PM) *
Newbury's Infamous Bollards Srike Again.

"I had no intention of going down Northbrook Street"

Que??

"but the next thing I knew this bollard came right up through the car.”

No they didn't YOU impaled your car with them.

Is this an example of a *wat? tongue.gif

Yep, a first class one especially as ''he and his wife both suffered with whiplash'' laugh.gif laugh.gif
What speed was he doing then !! Hoping for Compensation are we, d***head.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 18 2010, 06:23 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

It's interesting that he claims there are no signs about the bollards. I don't know, I just assume there is. If there isn't then the council should be sued by anyone who has had an altercation with them. The guy does seem to be over egging it a bit, with the implication that the baby nearly dies as a result. I do sympathise more with out of town drivers as well, especially as it is not a pedestrian area, and there are vehicles going up and down all day.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 19 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (HJD @ Feb 18 2010, 03:38 PM) *
Yep, a first class one especially as ''he and his wife both suffered with whiplash'' laugh.gif laugh.gif
What speed was he doing then !! Hoping for Compensation are we, d***head.
Is it still 20mph down there? Can you get whiplash doing 20mph?

+Quote Post
ossy1
post Feb 19 2010, 08:38 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 18 2010, 06:23 PM) *
It's interesting that he claims there are no signs about the bollards. I don't know, I just assume there is. If there isn't then the council should be sued by anyone who has had an altercation with them. The guy does seem to be over egging it a bit, with the implication that the baby nearly dies as a result. I do sympathise more with out of town drivers as well, especially as it is not a pedestrian area, and there are vehicles going up and down all day.

Yes plenty big red ones! Unless due to the building works they had been taken down that day! Unlikely though.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 19 2010, 08:43 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 19 2010, 08:11 AM) *

Yes, try it! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 19 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 19 2010, 08:11 AM) *

If you have a big thick head on a spineless body you can.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 19 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Walked past there today and to be fair there is currently only 1 black & white sign warning of the bollards.

Any others that were on the left hand side are either removed or are hidden by the building site hoarding.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Feb 19 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 18 2010, 06:23 PM) *
The guy does seem to be over egging it a bit, with the implication that the baby nearly dies as a result.

I don't think so.

This was a pregnant woman and the seat belt would have tightened over the 'bump', possibly causing some damage to the baby.

This is because the majority of people don't wear a seatbelt properly. The lap part of the belt should sit across the hips and not the stomach.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 19 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Forgive me if I have missed the answer in this continuing saga of bollard destruction , but does the council reclaim the damage costs from the perpetrators insurance company , or is it the hapless council tax payer that foots the bill ? blink.gif
I would love to be privy to the claim form. tongue.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 19 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 19 2010, 02:13 PM) *
Forgive me if I have missed the answer in this continuing saga of bollard destruction , but does the council reclaim the damage costs from the perpetrators insurance company , or is it the hapless council tax payer that foots the bill ? blink.gif
I would love to be privy to the claim form. tongue.gif

It would be perverse if the tax payer picks up the tab and not the car insurance company.
I don't think anyone has clarified this.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 19 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Feb 19 2010, 02:34 PM) *
It would be perverse if the tax payer picks up the tab and not the car insurance company.I don't think anyone has clarified this.

There was a NWN article that stated that the bollards are a net liability. The council are not able to recover all costs.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 19 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

I don't think the council would have any right to claim as the bollards are connecting with the car, not the other way around.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Feb 19 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 19 2010, 06:24 PM) *
I don't think the council would have any right to claim as the bollards are connecting with the car, not the other way around.

Valid point , though I'm no solicitor , it does seem perverse that I can attempt an illegal maneuver , ie attempting to enter a traffic restricted area causing £ hundreds of damage including writing my car off and all I get is two column inches in the NWN . sad.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 19 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Feb 19 2010, 09:58 PM) *
Valid point , though I'm no solicitor , it does seem perverse that I can attempt an illegal maneuver , ie attempting to enter a traffic restricted area causing £ hundreds of damage including writing my car off and all I get is two column inches in the NWN . sad.gif

Yes, life just isn't fair any more.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 20 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 19 2010, 06:24 PM) *

I don't see it that way.

Surely it is the car that is driven into the bollards?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:18 AM