Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stolen Red Blackberry 9300, wifes phone stolen in town from pocket
Strafin
post Nov 30 2011, 11:00 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 55

I don't think people really ever realise how their horrible actions really affect people.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
biggus_richus
post Dec 1 2011, 08:20 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 59

QUOTE (mungo @ Nov 30 2011, 10:49 PM) *
I wouldn't worry about having a spare Andy, whilst it isnt insured in any way I can replace it in time, it may be a couple of months or so but I will work something out.

No joy with home contents insurance?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 1 2011, 08:57 AM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Nov 30 2011, 08:45 PM) *
The last few years I have noticed a decline in morality, respect etc in Newbury. The left of your blackberry is sadly a common occurrence now in Newbury. The police are either nowhere around or ineffective. Criminals have rights and the common person has to stand by and watch in disgust.

lol. yeah everyone in newbury is a thief.

on topic; it's possible it was lost. unfortunately it's one of those things. you have 2 options either way, try and claim on your house insurance or buy a new phone. to be fair anyone who has a handset worth more than £100 and has no insurance for it is a bit of a numpty to be honest, it's £5 a month or so..

QUOTE (Strafin @ Nov 30 2011, 11:00 PM) *
I don't think people really ever realise how their horrible actions really affect people.

Yeah I agree. But in an equal matter.
A murder of a relative = horrible.
Death of a dog = bit of a shame.
Theft (or loss, who knows) = oh well.

Being bumped is not proof of theft. Newbury is busy and and it's something that will happen in town.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 1 2011, 08:57 AM) *
Yeah I agree. But in an equal matter.
A murder of a relative = horrible.
Death of a dog = bit of a shame.
Theft (or loss, who knows) = oh well.

We all have our cross to bear. Theft shouldn't be treated as a minor crime; to many, it is not.

Being bumped is not proof of theft. Newbury is busy and and it's something that will happen in town.

I agree, but it is no-more likely than having your pocket picked. I grant you, carrying a a valuable object in an outer coat pocket is daft, and we all do daft things, but even if this was a simple case of carelessness, I would be very surprised if anyone hands the phone in if it is found - which is still technically theft.

+Quote Post
mungo
post Dec 1 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 1,257

We have no home or other insurance, to some that may be daft but we simply can not afford it. I found in the past that most of them try and decline any claim anyway like when we did have some over 5 years ago.

as for £5 a month insurance, multiply that by x phones, and how many years you have it and it is no longer cost effective is it.

It was NOT simply lost or dropped, it was my wifes pride and joy and as strange as it seems the most important gift I have ever given her over the last 12 years, it WAS most definitely taken from her pocket.

+Quote Post
mungo
post Dec 1 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #26

My apologies, I will not post anymore now.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

I'd delete that information if I were you, including what appears to be your real name. You don't need to explain to anyone your affairs. There is more than one person on here that have personal details that they would be embarrassed for others to hear.

Just like there are thieves, there are people that arrogantly think they know best (including me). This is a public forum, and people do tend to post what they think, and that isn't always something that is intelligent. Notwithstanding this is a Tory town and we know what they are like. tongue.gif

Like I said, it doesn't help you, but regardless of the truth, I like to think your thread serves as a warning for people to be vigilant, especially at this time of year.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Dec 1 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

...to be fair anyone who has a handset worth more than £100 and has no insurance for it is a bit of a numpty to be honest, it's £5 a month or so..

I would suggest that anyone that posts ignorant comments like yours is "a bit of a numpty".

Anyway, you are suggesting that, if you have a handset worth £100, you should pay £60 a year (+ excess should you claim) to insure it?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 1 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (mungo @ Dec 1 2011, 11:43 AM) *
Actually, ok we are on benefits, I dont do drugs, drink or any other sort of thing, I dont cheat the system and rarely go out because of heart and lung problems, knowing the flames and presumed hatred to people like myself who "normal" people seem to hate I prefered not to tell, now you know why we can't afford its loss or the insurance premiums, I hope you are all happy now, its also why I know my wife did NOT just lose it, she looks after such things as best as she can, we all lose out when I buy something as costly as this and she knows I get angry at any waste.

My apologies, I will not post anymore now as I know just what vitriol is coming.

Mungo, from what you have written you are exactly the sort of family that the benefit system was designed to support and protect. I guess your position is not one of choice but of circumstance. You have nothing to be ashamed of and have every right to complain about the loss of the phone by a criminal act.
I hope that it gets returned but I doubt it will.
Chin up mate as you seem to be wealthy in other respects.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Dec 1 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

Not quite in the same league, but I have a BlackBerry Storm which you and your good lady are more than welcome to have. It's not new, but, tbh, I never quite got on with it. So wasn't used for very long. (comes with a charger).

Send me a p.m. and I'll arrange for it to be delivered / dropped off / handed to you anywhere / anytime you want.

p.s. I'll even get it unlocked for you if that helps. (if it needs it)

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2011, 12:23 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Dec 1 2011, 12:21 PM) *
Not quite in the same league, but I have a BlackBerry Storm which you and your good lady are more than welcome to have. It's not new, but, tbh, I never quite got on with it. So wasn't used for very long. (comes with a charger).

Send me a p.m. and I'll arrange for it to be delivered / dropped off / handed to you anywhere / anytime you want.

Well done DSB! smile.gif

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Dec 1 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

Sorry to hear about that Mungo - like you said Christmas is coming and those lazy layabouts will steal from people who have scrimped and saved to get a little luxury without any qualms.

My son's car was broken into on Monday night. Parked behind RBS and they stripped out his stereo and speakers (£700 worth). He won't claim on his insurance because he will lose his first year's no claims bonus and as he already pays £5,000 insurance can't afford to make a claim. I am just glad he did not catch them in the act as he would have probably ended up with a smacking as well !!! If only we could get these crooks to be honest would be happy to deliver some corporal punishment. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 1 2011, 12:29 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 1 2011, 12:23 PM) *
Well done DSB! smile.gif

Me too DSB. This reminds me of Dicken's A Christmas Carol. Good man.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
mungo
post Dec 1 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #34

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 1 2011, 12:08 PM) *
Mungo, from what you have written you are exactly the sort of family that the benefit system was designed to support and protect. I guess your position is not one of choice but of circumstance. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

But that is just the point, I am ashamed of my self and our situation, my family go without so much because of me and say nothing of it, I watch my wife as I struggle up the stairs having to stop halfway or less and I see the look in her eyes, it rips me to bits, I see her turn friends away at the door because of the shame that our home is not nice like theirs or have the nice furniture, I see the look in peoples eyes when they hear we are one of "those" families and the hurt it brings my wife or the kids are turned away or go without for the stigma. People tell me to go after "other" benefits but I don't want them, they wont make me better, a car or mobility won't give me my health back, and as I said to my wife there are others out there worse than me who need the money. I just want to be able to play football or such with my kids, a new car won't give me that !.

I paid for my kids to go to firework night at the local school for the first time in ten years and I felt so proud I had been able to do that, its simple things like that that hit me and hurt.

I defy anyone here to show I take drugs or all the other so called things chav's or the like do with their money and that is what hurts, the presumption and social exclusion over it.

I don't want anything from anyone and I just wish I was normal. I can't explain how I feel about how I feel over my wife or what happened, it was cruel, and I guess we got what we deserved for not being more alert.

Thanks for letting me post the theft/loss whatever you wish to call it here though

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 1 2011, 12:32 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Dec 1 2011, 12:27 PM) *
Sorry to hear about that Mungo - like you said Christmas is coming and those lazy layabouts will steal from people who have scrimped and saved to get a little luxury without any qualms.

My son's car was broken into on Monday night. Parked behind RBS and they stripped out his stereo and speakers (£700 worth). He won't claim on his insurance because he will lose his first year's no claims bonus and as he already pays £5,000 insurance can't afford to make a claim. I am just glad he did not catch them in the act as he would have probably ended up with a smacking as well !!! If only we could get these crooks to be honest would be happy to deliver some corporal punishment. angry.gif

Yep and I will have a go when you get tired.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 1 2011, 02:02 PM
Post #36

Guests

Mungo feel free to post whatever, at the end of the day that's what a forum is about.

QUOTE (massifheed @ Dec 1 2011, 12:06 PM) *
I would suggest that anyone that posts ignorant comments like yours is "a bit of a numpty".

Anyway, you are suggesting that, if you have a handset worth £100, you should pay £60 a year (+ excess should you claim) to insure it?

The excess on a phone under £200 is about £20. On my iPhone 4 it's a £50 excess, on my old Blackberry it was £25.

If you use, I don't know, a service such as a BANK, you can (for about £7.99) get additionally services, breakdown, etc...INCLUSIVE IS PHONE INSURANCE. I understand money is tight but it's protecting your investment.

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 1 2011, 12:08 PM) *
Mungo, from what you have written you are exactly the sort of family that the benefit system was designed to support and protect. I guess your position is not one of choice but of circumstance. You have nothing to be ashamed of and have every right to complain about the loss of the phone by a criminal act.
I hope that it gets returned but I doubt it will.
Chin up mate as you seem to be wealthy in other respects.

If it was a criminal act (it could be lost as I said.......) either way I generally agree with the post above.

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Dec 1 2011, 12:27 PM) *

lol what does he have a ferrari? I suspect the real reason for not claiming is because aftermarket stereo and speakers are likely not announced the insurance company rolleyes.gif for reference I'm 20 and pay £1550 for a Golf with my mods declared (power increases of 49bhp over standard, suspension and wheels). 1 year no claims and 1 accident. I use Admiral, might be worth getting your son to have a look around.....

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Dec 1 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Dec 1 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Mungo feel free to post whatever, at the end of the day that's what a forum is about.

The excess on a phone under £200 is about £20. On my iPhone 4 it's a £50 excess, on my old Blackberry it was £25.

If you use, I don't know, a service such as a BANK, you can (for about £7.99) get additionally services, breakdown, etc...INCLUSIVE IS PHONE INSURANCE. I understand money is tight but it's protecting your investment.

If it was a criminal act (it could be lost as I said.......) either way I generally agree with the post above.

lol what does he have a ferrari? I suspect the real reason for not claiming is because aftermarket stereo and speakers are likely not announced the insurance company rolleyes.gif for reference I'm 20 and pay £1550 for a Golf with my mods declared (power increases of 49bhp over standard, suspension and wheels). 1 year no claims and 1 accident. I use Admiral, might be worth getting your son to have a look around.....

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Dec 1 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

No not a Ferrari a bog standard Peugeot - he got shafted by the insurance company. He got a quote for me to teach him to drive (aged 19) and he got a good deal of £1,600 - then one month later when he passed his test he phoned them and they added on £5,000 for 10 months. He tried to cancel and was told he would have to pay 60% of the premium in order to do this so he was stuck with it. He got a quote from Aviva at £1,700 but he couldn't afford to pay £3,000 (IN ONE GO) to cancel his current insurance and take out the one with Aviva.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 1 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Dec 1 2011, 07:34 PM) *
No not a Ferrari a bog standard Peugeot - he got shafted by the insurance company. He got a quote for me to teach him to drive (aged 19) and he got a good deal of £1,600 - then one month later when he passed his test he phoned them and they added on £5,000 for 10 months. He tried to cancel and was told he would have to pay 60% of the premium in order to do this so he was stuck with it. He got a quote from Aviva at £1,700 but he couldn't afford to pay £3,000 (IN ONE GO) to cancel his current insurance and take out the one with Aviva.

That sounds very odd. Couldn't post the terms of the contract could you? Sounds very unlikely to be fair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Unfortunately as he's paid there's no getting his money back because the Regulations make the term unenforceable rather than void, but he really should have taken some advice before parting with so much cash.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Dec 1 2011, 07:44 PM) *
That sounds very odd. Couldn't post the terms of the contract could you? Sounds very unlikely to be fair under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Unfortunately as he's paid there's no getting his money back because the Regulations make the term unenforceable rather than void, but he really should have taken some advice before parting with so much cash.

I agree, there is something about this that is wrong, unless maybe he was made aware of all this, or it was in the small print before signing up. This is something I would take to a Watchdog of some kind.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:53 PM