IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Deception Training at Newbury Station, Undercover reporter at Station uncovers truth
Cognosco
post Jun 7 2015, 02:00 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 7 2015, 07:35 AM) *
I wouldn't disagree about this forum either same old same old is frankly unproductive. Dare I also say, the 'other place' has all but ceased. Anyway, serious question, what would you feel like debating?

Just to remind you - "For Evil Men to Accomplish Their Purpose, It Is only Necessary That Good Men Do Nothing."

Are you implying we just forget all the wrongs that have been committed by our rabble of Local Authorities? Surely they have been getting off very lightly over the years for their mishandling of precept payers monies and some of the dreadful decisions, or lack of, that should have been more considerately made by them.
Just try and imagine what would be happening if even our small efforts to hold them to account via this forum were no longer available?
I expect we would have not even got a whopping £1 for Parkway land and it would be costing us more than the £100000 costs ratcheted up with legal fees as alleged so far?
Therefore so long as our Local Authorities are not performing to a decent standard and actually operating in a transparent way with the best interest of precept payers then this should be debated to try and ensure they are held to account , even on this small forum, because it appears to be the fact that very few are prepared to suffer the Kirby treatment that the Councils are prepared subject you to. angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 7 2015, 02:01 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 6 2015, 10:16 PM) *
Me again despite post #33!
FGW swindlers??
Not exactly robbing OAP's of their life savings are they?

I never said they were; however, mine was meant to be a general comment about investigative journalism.

One example in the piece was of being sold a ticket return to London which came to an excess of £12 per week over 2 singles. If you were going to London for that number of journeys then this would not be the case, you would be sold a weekly season saving yourself around £40! As is often the case, only selected stories are told to make it saleable to the television companies and the public.

Unless you were going once a week; or a few times a week, then they would be diddling you out of said amount then.

No rattle AC, just feel that forum is dying with just a few regulars now debating the same old topics. Mainly NTC and WBC . Plus the odd few who still insist on doling out the insults (more akin to F/B). So I don't "feel like" posting.

And thanks to people like you that will continue. And regardless of whether I agree, I like reading your posts, especially when related to rail matters.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 7 2015, 03:55 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 6 2015, 08:11 AM) *
You can say that again! wink.gif

If you insist, but then again you can always read back wink.gif

Accuracy is important. I have a friend who's wife asked if she should go and put some petrol in the car. Without a thought he just replied "yes please" so she did...................... It was a diesel!.

I wouldn't hardly call saying "British Rail," instead of the proper term, as devastating as putting petrol in a diesel car. I also don't think the thought or mind police will seriously take such comments as being worthy of being thrown into Guantanamo Bay detention camp for subversive comments.

No, you did!

Oh, then I must have been right! wink.gif

According to you I am both unintelligent and unwise. dry.gif Anyway you'll be pleased to know I'm off for a bit. (See above post.) Leave it to the bright ones eh? biggrin.gif

"Pleased?" I wouldn't say that, it takes all sorts to make this forum go around with a smile. And seeing that the trusty few forced the likes of Petra out there is only us to entertain ourselves. So please hurry back and play your part in the Today circus.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 7 2015, 07:12 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jun 7 2015, 03:00 PM) *
Just to remind you - "For Evil Men to Accomplish Their Purpose, It Is only Necessary That Good Men Do Nothing."

Are you implying we just forget all the wrongs that have been committed by our rabble of Local Authorities? Surely they have been getting off very lightly over the years for their mishandling of precept payers monies and some of the dreadful decisions, or lack of, that should have been more considerately made by them.
Just try and imagine what would be happening if even our small efforts to hold them to account via this forum were no longer available?
I expect we would have not even got a whopping £1 for Parkway land and it would be costing us more than the £100000 costs ratcheted up with legal fees as alleged so far?
Therefore so long as our Local Authorities are not performing to a decent standard and actually operating in a transparent way with the best interest of precept payers then this should be debated to try and ensure they are held to account , even on this small forum, because it appears to be the fact that very few are prepared to suffer the Kirby treatment that the Councils are prepared subject you to. angry.gif

Well, thanks for the wake up call Cognosco!

I suppose the response was born out of frustration, seemingly nothing changes or if it does, imperceptibly. Or perhaps it does; but the time lag makes it seem endless. This is at least a voice and one of the few we have. It's public and looked at, so is still in the shop window so to speak. Yes, I've been on Facebook; an interesting experience and one that is really rather more like a pub conversation.

So, you are still stuck with me and no I'm not stopping until the wrongs have been put right.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 7 2015, 08:20 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 7 2015, 04:55 PM) *
And seeing that the trusty few forced the likes of Petra out there is only us to entertain ourselves.

Petra was just a WUM and I don't think anyone forced them away.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jun 8 2015, 09:46 AM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

I thought Petra was often correct.
I am impressed that SK and OTE are taking up cudgels.
I am just a travelling player.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 8 2015, 02:33 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jun 8 2015, 10:46 AM) *
I am impressed that SK and OTE are taking up cudgels.
I am just a travelling player.

'Petra' had a belligerent delivery that often masked the message I found. Petra wasn't always right either.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 8 2015, 03:10 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

On the Facebook front, it's quite ironic that a good few of the nay sayers don't actually live anywhere near Newbury, very odd that! I was thinking about sending such a message to my old home town Guildford; which in my view, now has much the same ambience as an unflushed public lavatory. Every time I go, coming back I'm even more grateful Newbury is as it is.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 8 2015, 03:22 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 7 2015, 09:20 PM) *
Petra was just a WUM and I don't think anyone forced them away.

Whatever she was or wasn't she created some good debates/ discussions. People should have challenged her, not shout out "troll" every time they didn't have an answer to her challenges. Getting ride of people who we didn't agree or conform only smacks of elitism on this forum. This forum never gets anybody new on here without the usual comments (and predictable ones at that).

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Jun 8 2015, 03:24 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jun 8 2015, 10:46 AM) *

The result may have sometimes been correct - but it was the "electorate should stay quiet and leave it to Councillors and Officers as they know best" approach that was wrong.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jun 8 2015, 03:26 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 8 2015, 03:33 PM) *
'Petra' had a belligerent delivery that often masked the message I found. Petra wasn't always right either.

If she wasn't right then challenge her or anybody you think is wrong. Not keep throwing the same old rhetoric of "troll" at them. Yes she had a belligerent delivery; which I thought fitted into this forum quite well. Getting rid of people like Petra just means the same old tired voices dictating the same old crap and going around in circles.

+Quote Post
JaneGibbs
post Jun 8 2015, 06:10 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,817

One of the reasons why a lot of us don't come on here anymore (I presume) is because we are concerned that if we express ourselves controversially we might get called a troll or worse. There are many people on here I didn't agree with, such as Petra, but I always appreciated her standing up to the bullies on here. It is always the same members interacting with each other and nobody new allowed to get a look in. Maybe it is just me, but shouldn't we appreciate it when somebody comes along and says something different so that we can challenge and debate sensibly? After all, isn't that what forums for?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 8 2015, 09:01 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 8 2015, 04:22 PM) *
Whatever she was or wasn't she created some good debates/ discussions. People should have challenged her, not shout out "troll" every time they didn't have an answer to her challenges. Getting ride of people who we didn't agree or conform only smacks of elitism on this forum. This forum never gets anybody new on here without the usual comments (and predictable ones at that).

No-one got rid of Petra. Petra stopped posting after a rather silly post and if you took the time to read through Petra's posts you will see they were as insulting as any one has been on here.

I tried to engage with Petra but all I usually got was abuse. Petra become very predictable very quickly.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 8 2015, 09:05 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JaneGibbs @ Jun 8 2015, 07:10 PM) *
One of the reasons why a lot of us don't come on here anymore (I presume) is because we are concerned that if we express ourselves controversially we might get called a troll or worse. There are many people on here I didn't agree with, such as Petra, but I always appreciated her standing up to the bullies on here. It is always the same members interacting with each other and nobody new allowed to get a look in. Maybe it is just me, but shouldn't we appreciate it when somebody comes along and says something different so that we can challenge and debate sensibly? After all, isn't that what forums for?

Yes, but in standing up to the 'bullies', Petra simply became another 'bully' and an abusive one at that.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 8 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Jun 8 2015, 04:26 PM) *
If she wasn't right then challenge her or anybody you think is wrong. Not keep throwing the same old rhetoric of "troll" at them. Yes she had a belligerent delivery; which I thought fitted into this forum quite well. Getting rid of people like Petra just means the same old tired voices dictating the same old crap and going around in circles.

You know what a troll is and Petra's style was that of a troll: someone whose only apparent interest is to wind people up.

And I did challenge Petra, but sadly Petra was big on opinion, but not so great with substance.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 8 2015, 09:16 PM
Post #56

Advanced Member

She certainly knew how to wind people up, but I'm not convinced she was 'scared off'. Her skin wasn't that thin, so I'd hazard she simply became bored with us 'country boys' and what she'd consider to be our limited understanding.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 9 2015, 10:15 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Jun 7 2015, 03:00 PM) *

Are you implying we just forget all the wrongs that have been committed by our rabble of Local Authorities?

No, not at all, but there seems to be little else discussed here.
Just me, I'm sure everyone else (who is left on here) is fine with it.
Same seems to be happening with NWN the letters page.

By the way, just to correct the title of this thread.
Training by FGW would be done at one of their training schools, NOT at Newbury Station.

There is a response from FGW to the allegations in the programme and, because I doubt if this paper will print it (it is not sensationalist enough!), here it is.......................

The training of First Great Western staff in relation to ticket sales
It is disappointing that the trainer initially got the answer wrong, but we are pleased he clarified the correct position later in the session. We would of course expect the correct advice to be given straight away and we will make sure that our trainers are clear about the correct position in the future.

Offering and selling ‘split tickets’
The conversations shown regarding split tickets accurately reflect the rules every train operator must follow in terms of offering and selling ‘split tickets’ as outlined in the Retail Standards Guide, which all train operators must follow.

We agree that these rules – and many other rules that have their roots in the British Rail era – need reviewing to make the ticket buying process simpler and clearer for customers. As part of the Rail Delivery Group, we are working with other train operators and Government on how to progress this further.

Improper changes to journey times on the public timetable to help improve performance figures and limit the compensation paid for delays
The suggestion that First Great Western improperly changes journey times to improve its performance figures and limit the compensation paid for delays is simply incorrect.

In the journey example given, all but three of the trains on the route have exactly the same public journey time as in the working timetable. The longest difference in journey times is two minutes, and none of them have got longer.

In regards to compensation, this is not based on achieving performance targets, but on trains delayed by 30 or 60 minutes. The additional one or two minute margins would therefore have a tiny impact on reducing compensation paid.

Extending journey times beyond what is operationally required is poor customer service, costs us revenue, and would contravene the franchise agreement which is set and monitored by the Department for Transport. There is simply no other incentive for us to do this than to make sure we get customers to where they need to go at the time we have said they will arrive.

The working timetable is publicly available, published on Network Rail’s website here.

Difficulties in obtaining information from Control during disruption
Providing accurate and timely information to staff and customers during periods of disruption is an issue the rail industry as a whole takes very seriously.

We have issued colleagues with smartphones and tablets, as well as providing additional dedicated resource to help colleagues get accurate information to passengers quicker. We have also developed our own social media team which is able to update customers on a regular basis.

Compensation claims and goodwill gestures
We regularly advertise ways for customers to claim contractual compensation should things go wrong via our website, Twitter feed (@FGW) and other channels. On Twitter, we can even deal with contractual compensation claims immediately via a Direct Message without the need for customers to write in or call an additional number.
When it is the right thing to do, we will also go beyond the contractually stipulated level of compensations, regardless of whether or not we receive a direct complaint from a customer at all. Any customer-focused business would do exactly the same and we are proud of it.

Capacity on trains
Despite the lack of availability of suitable additional trains in the UK, we have worked hard to secure the additional capacity we know our customers want to see. Working with the Department for Transport, we have created 7,500 additional standard class seats into and out of Paddington at peak times every day.

We know however, that this is only a medium-term solution and, as part of the new franchise agreed with the Department for Transport, we will be introducing newer, longer trains across our network from spring next year, which will increase capacity by around 25%.

This increased capacity is part of the £7.5bn Great Western Mainline modernisation programme, the initial phases of which we are currently working closely with the Department for Transport and Network Rail to deliver. This investment is the biggest on the route since Brunel and will transform a key part of the country’s transport infrastructure.

As part of this programme, new or refurbished trains will be seen on every part of the network, resulting in more frequent and faster journeys and an increase in the number of seats to keep people moving across the Great Western network.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 9 2015, 12:18 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jun 9 2015, 11:15 AM) *
No, not at all, but there seems to be little else discussed here.
Just me, I'm sure everyone else (who is left on here) is fine with it.
Same seems to be happening with NWN the letters page.

How would you know! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jun 9 2015, 01:10 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 9 2015, 01:18 PM) *
How would you know! tongue.gif

wink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 9 2015, 02:18 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

That was a pretty good response, no flannel, just the detail. Shame the expensive PR outfit at our beloved local Council can't pick up a few tips.

Interesting comment about Accommodation though, I wonder just how many of the travelling public realise or even know that train capacity is really down to HMG and the real leeches of the operation, the leasing companies. One of the daftest aspects of the botched privatisation; designed simply to make rich bankers even richer. Well done Mr Major.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:39 AM