> Kippers for Breakfast
Andy Capp
post Apr 30 2017, 08:37 AM
Post #161

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 30 2017, 12:18 AM) *
And you have the utter gall to sneer at UKIP. Unbelievable, I hope (personal opinion) that the person responsible finds a couple of squadies tap dancing on his liver very soon. In a satirical manner of course. Free expression and all that.

That's the trouble with a democracy: people voicing different opinions. It is a facist state that would beat someone trying to expose the ugly side of war.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 30 2017, 10:25 AM
Post #162

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

If we were really honest, we have absolutely no need for our own armed forces. The most we need is, for want of a better description, an upgraded fire, paramedic and police service capable of operating at an international level. Nothing more.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Apr 30 2017, 10:31 AM
Post #163

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 30 2017, 11:25 AM) *
If we were really honest, we have absolutely no need for our own armed forces. The most we need is, for want of a better description, an upgraded fire, paramedic and police service capable of operating at an international level. Nothing more.

And it's curious that you can join the Army at 16, but you have to be 18 before you can join the Fire Service.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 30 2017, 02:12 PM
Post #164

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 30 2017, 11:25 AM) *

We need our armed forces. I think the above is at best naieve.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 30 2017, 02:26 PM
Post #165

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 30 2017, 03:12 PM) *
We need our armed forces. I think the above is at best naieve.

Care to explain why; or is that too hard?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 30 2017, 04:10 PM
Post #166

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 30 2017, 03:26 PM) *
Care to explain why; or is that too hard?

NATO. Or do you think the USA should pay for everything? You really think Putin etc would not take advantage if he knew we were defenceless??? Do you???? Really????? Id rather not take the chance but perhaps you would. Care to explain why you think thay getting rid of all the armes forces is a good idea ? Or is that tooo hard????

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 30 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #167

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Apr 30 2017, 11:31 AM) *
And it's curious that you can join the Army at 16, but you have to be 18 before you can join the Fire Service.

I blame old people. Logans run with a twist. Thats the answer. Get to 85. Stone in hand turns red. 🔥 works display at wembley. And it would get rid of all those **** brexit voters....

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 30 2017, 07:13 PM
Post #168

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 30 2017, 05:14 PM) *
I blame old people. Logans run with a twist. Thats the answer. Get to 85. Stone in hand turns red. 🔥 works display at wembley. And it would get rid of all those **** brexit voters....

Even better, for the election every voter gets a stone, those who vote for the losing party get the nice ride to a 'processing' plant somewhere in the country. No more dissemination, no more dissent. Easy.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Apr 30 2017, 07:16 PM
Post #169

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 30 2017, 05:10 PM) *
NATO. Or do you think the USA should pay for everything? You really think Putin etc would not take advantage if he knew we were defenceless??? Do you???? Really????? Id rather not take the chance but perhaps you would. Care to explain why you think thay getting rid of all the armes forces is a good idea ? Or is that tooo hard????

That's easy! The loony tunes would rather take their chances with a flask of cocoa, two verses of the red flag and an invite to the other side to pop round for a cosy chat. Works every time you know. Guaranteed.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Apr 30 2017, 08:19 PM
Post #170

Advanced Member

Calm down dear, it's only a discussion!

It would be very nice if the Americans did pay, some of us are old enough to remember they weren't exactly quick off the mark during certain other significant conflicts.

As for NATO, there are significant European nations not members, Sweden and Switzerland for example. There is also no reason why NATO should have its own capability no I'd have no objection in paying for that and letting British subjects be trained and based in UK. But the very existence of NATO demonstrates we do not need an independent armed force of our own under our political command. Mr Blair has clearly demonstrated the dangers of military independence.

As for Putin, if you have really been following events for the past few years, he has been somewhat more stable than certainly the latest American President. He has his own reasons for any aggression and has often been willing to parly than other dictators. On one occasion he even upset a puffed up Mr Cameron by implying he thought we are an irrelevance. What reason would be have to attack us? So no, I don't think he'd do anything to us at all.

Sure, there is a nuclear worry with North Korea, doubly worrying because their reason for a nuclear arsenal is because America has one. Oh dear, but again, loosing off nuclear weapons means both sides get it, so either way you are dead.

So for defence purposes, an independent military force isn't necessary, unless you feel we still have a need to independently attack and subjugate other people? I'm sure this won't help you sleep soundly, but Britian lost it's great military power status in the mid 1950s a Mr Eden was Prime Minister at the time.

So no, I don't think we need our own independent armed forces and so long as we maintain a professional competent Police force, I'll feel quite safe.

How is the shelter coming on; presumably you'll need a biggish oil tank for when the mains go?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Apr 30 2017, 09:01 PM
Post #171

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Apr 30 2017, 09:19 PM) *
Calm down dear, it's only a discussion!

It would be very nice if the Americans did pay, some of us are old enough to remember they weren't exactly quick off the mark during certain other significant conflicts.

As for NATO, there are significant European nations not members, Sweden and Switzerland for example. There is also no reason why NATO should have its own capability no I'd have no objection in paying for that and letting British subjects be trained and based in UK. But the very existence of NATO demonstrates we do not need an independent armed force of our own under our political command. Mr Blair has clearly demonstrated the dangers of military independence.

As for Putin, if you have really been following events for the past few years, he has been somewhat more stable than certainly the latest American President. He has his own reasons for any aggression and has often been willing to parly than other dictators. On one occasion he even upset a puffed up Mr Cameron by implying he thought we are an irrelevance. What reason would be have to attack us? So no, I don't think he'd do anything to us at all.

Sure, there is a nuclear worry with North Korea, doubly worrying because their reason for a nuclear arsenal is because America has one. Oh dear, but again, loosing off nuclear weapons means both sides get it, so either way you are dead.

So for defence purposes, an independent military force isn't necessary, unless you feel we still have a need to independently attack and subjugate other people? I'm sure this won't help you sleep soundly, but Britian lost it's great military power status in the mid 1950s a Mr Eden was Prime Minister at the time.

So no, I don't think we need our own independent armed forces and so long as we maintain a professional competent Police force, I'll feel quite safe.

How is the shelter coming on; presumably you'll need a biggish oil tank for when the mains go?

You asked me. I answered. It wasn't hard. And I am quite calm thanks. I find the loony left and liberal types far more aggresive these days than even the right wing.

PS if the wind blows I'll be happy dead rather than the alternative.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Apr 30 2017, 10:06 PM
Post #172

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Better dead than Red.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 1 2017, 05:58 AM
Post #173

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 30 2017, 10:01 PM) *
You asked me. I answered. It wasn't hard. And I am quite calm thanks. I find the loony left and liberal types far more aggresive these days than even the right wing.

PS if the wind blows I'll be happy dead rather than the alternative.

Good! Your post script has it; indeed we'll all be dead no matter what.

So then, for me, it simply makes sense to spend our money on other things to make the best of it in the time we have before Messrs Putin, Kim or Trump push the big red button.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
newres
post May 1 2017, 10:20 AM
Post #174

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

I'd say the world has more to fear from the USA than we do from Russia.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2017, 01:06 PM
Post #175

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Apr 30 2017, 11:06 PM) *
Better dead than Red.

When you are quitter.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post May 1 2017, 04:21 PM
Post #176

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 1 2017, 02:06 PM) *
When you are quitter.

Beginning to wonder if English (like driving) may be one of your 'fail' skills?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 1 2017, 07:51 PM
Post #177

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 1 2017, 05:21 PM) *
Beginning to wonder if English (like driving) may be one of your 'fail' skills?

I'll alert the media!

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 2 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #178

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Apr 30 2017, 05:14 PM) *

Well, Labour have now chosen their candidate and have clearly taken your views seriously. He's young!

The youngsters are said to have stayed away from the referendum because politics doesn't have anything for them, well now is their opportunity, let's hope they take it. What a plus for Newbury if we put in a young progressive MP for once.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 2 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #179

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (On the edge @ May 2 2017, 02:51 PM) *
Well, Labour have now chosen their candidate and have clearly taken your views seriously. He's young!

The youngsters are said to have stayed away from the referendum because politics doesn't have anything for them, well now is their opportunity, let's hope they take it. What a plus for Newbury if we put in a young progressive MP for once.

Amen to that!

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post May 2 2017, 07:39 PM
Post #180

Advanced Member

Good luck to him, let's hope he can handle basic maths.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:53 AM