> WBC cuts.
Petra
post Mar 3 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,567

Dear All,

Many people have criticized the salaries of the Heads of West Berkshire Council. Approximately £2 million pounds per year is paid out to those at the top of the tree. Critics are saying that if cuts are introduced to services the Heads of WBC’s wages should also be cut. Balderdash! CEO’s, Directors’, Heads, etc. are paid such wages because they are the best skilled (well qualified) to making the proper decisions for the right cuts. If you did not have such trained and well paid people, then such cuts could be all over the place or implemented in such a way that it could do greater damage. I would even go as far to say that the Head of Services should be paid even more, in line with the Private sector.

You take Nick Carter (a brilliant tactician), he is paid approximately £150,000 per year. This is far lower than he would get if he worked in the Private sector. It could be anything from hundreds of thousands to millions. So the public should be very grateful that WBC only pays a sicking minimum wage to their highly-educated and well-skilled management organizers. We owe a great debt to those at WBC for accepting such a low wages, not banal attacks. It is almost paupers wages for the qualified. Without them accepting such pittances councils’, such as WBC, would be running around like headless chickens and making indiscriminate cuts without care or thought, then who would be complaining?

So let us show a little respect and praise to those that work hard for the benefit of those they represent, you, the tax payer.

Yours,

Petra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Mar 3 2016, 05:49 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

Dear Petra,

I'm not sure about local government but in terms of national government I would be much happier if our MPs were paid a proper wage i.e. upwards of £100k a year but in return they would work a proper working year i.e. 25 days of annual leave per year.

This would reduce the need to call MPs back in an emergency during the summer recess and would greatly speed up decision making and offer much fewer excuses for not debating matters of importance.

Kind regards,

James Trinder

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 3 2016, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Dear Petra

To a great extent, I'd agree. After all, with massive budget cuts and the loss of various other roles, WBC is actually a declining organisation. In commercial terms, ripe for take over at best. So, as we see with the banking industry, those in charge should be well rewarded for their failure.

Tick tock

On the edge

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Mar 3 2016, 07:05 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

If they're that good go get jobs in the private sector where you get judged on results, ah, I see the problem with that!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 3 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Petra @ Mar 3 2016, 05:40 PM) *
Dear All,

Many people have criticized the salaries of the Heads of West Berkshire Council. Approximately £2 million pounds per year is paid out to those at the top of the tree. Critics are saying that if cuts are introduced to services the Heads of WBC’s wages should also be cut. Balderdash! CEO’s, Directors’, Heads, etc. are paid such wages because they are the best skilled (well qualified) to making the proper decisions for the right cuts. If you did not have such trained and well paid people, then such cuts could be all over the place or implemented in such a way that it could do greater damage. I would even go as far to say that the Head of Services should be paid even more, in line with the Private sector.

You take Nick Carter (a brilliant tactician), he is paid approximately £150,000 per year. This is far lower than he would get if he worked in the Private sector. It could be anything from hundreds of thousands to millions. So the public should be very grateful that WBC only pays a sicking minimum wage to their highly-educated and well-skilled management organizers. We owe a great debt to those at WBC for accepting such a low wages, not banal attacks. It is almost paupers wages for the qualified. Without them accepting such pittances councils’, such as WBC, would be running around like headless chickens and making indiscriminate cuts without care or thought, then who would be complaining?

So let us show a little respect and praise to those that work hard for the benefit of those they represent, you, the tax payer.

Yours,

Petra

Correct: they should be paid more, but only if they can use their skill and judgment to maintain service levels on reduced income. As for WBC over all, I just see frequent kock-up after kock-up. Not impressed. I particularly don't like Mr Carter's PR style: "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!" was one crass statement. The other offensive one was the (not verbatim): 'you won't recognise Newbury by the time we've finished' (re: Newbury Vision).

Meanwhile, if Mr Carter et al. are worth £150,000.00, then the NHS would be bankrupt with the salaries they would have to pay.

+Quote Post
user23
post Mar 3 2016, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Mar 3 2016, 07:05 PM) *
If they're that good go get jobs in the private sector where you get judged on results, ah, I see the problem with that!
Yes, if you're a banker then you get to keep your job and huge bonuses after wrecking the global economy, whereas if you're a Junior Doctor in the NHS you'll have a new contract forced on you for working long hours, looking after people.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 3 2016, 09:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Petra @ Mar 3 2016, 05:40 PM) *
Dear All,

Yours,

Petra

Dear Petra

Please may I have a look through your rose detailed glasses.

You know full well that the majority of WBC employees would never survive in the private sector, even supposing they managed to get through the first round interviews of course rolleyes.gif
I agree that a fair remuneration for a job well done is warranted, but on the gaffes that has been forthcoming from officers lately, with not being held to account by our inept Councillors, then if any officers had an ounce of decency they would be paying a large chunk of salary back. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Petra
post Mar 4 2016, 05:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 3 2016, 08:16 PM) *
Correct: they should be paid more, but only if they can use their skill and judgment to maintain service levels on reduced income. As for WBC over all, I just see frequent kock-up after kock-up. Not impressed. I particularly don't like Mr Carter's PR style: "You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs!" was one crass statement. The other offensive one was the (not verbatim): 'you won't recognise Newbury by the time we've finished' (re: Newbury Vision).

Meanwhile, if Mr Carter et al. are worth £150,000.00, then the NHS would be bankrupt with the salaries they would have to pay.

Mr Capp,

Whether you like the statement “You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs” or not does not change the fact that’s “eggs” will always be broken when making harsh decisions. Of course, you could dress it up in other terms, but one of the criticisms of the public is using waffle when straight talking is preferable.

When one is making cuts, it is obvious there will be victims, therefore, you need the right professionals in place. WBC does that admirably. I do, though, understand that those that look in from outside will never be pleased and will always speak emotionally when making such critical comments. WBC’s duty is to do the best for the greater good, rather than the individual.

It is always going to be easy for people, like yourself, to sit at your computer terminal and criticize, a sort of fantasy football. But the women and men of WBC do not have the luxury of your fantasy football fishbowl viewpoint, but have to work in the real world, with real money that could create a chain effect. Trust me when I say that all options are on-board and from there the people in the loop dwindle it down to a working hypothesis.

Yours,

Petra

+Quote Post
Petra
post Mar 4 2016, 05:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 3 2016, 09:56 PM) *
Dear Petra

Please may I have a look through your rose detailed glasses.

You know full well that the majority of WBC employees would never survive in the private sector, even supposing they managed to get through the first round interviews of course rolleyes.gif
I agree that a fair remuneration for a job well done is warranted, but on the gaffes that has been forthcoming from officers lately, with not being held to account by our inept Councillors, then if any officers had an ounce of decency they would be paying a large chunk of salary back. rolleyes.gif

Mr Coqnosco,

I noticed that when one does not like what has been said, then the term “rose glasses” pops up. May I suggest, and going by what you had written, it is you that is wearing those glasses.

For a start, you would not know whether they would survive in the public sector or not. Your comments are hypothetical, which is based on ignorance of the people you are talking about. In other words, you know nothing, other than follow my leader. I can tell you many have been approached by the private sector, but turned them down (not in all cases) because they would rather work in the community. People of West Berkshire should be grateful that a dedicated group of professionals is working for the greater good. Not everything will go right, or not everybody will be satisfied, but the best option is always taken for the majority, if not always for the individual.

Yours,

Petra

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 4 2016, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Petra @ Mar 4 2016, 05:16 PM) *
Mr Coqnosco,

I noticed that when one does not like what has been said, then the term “rose glasses” pops up. May I suggest, and going by what you had written, it is you that is wearing those glasses.

For a start, you would not know whether they would survive in the public sector or not. Your comments are hypothetical, which is based on ignorance of the people you are talking about. In other words, you know nothing, other than follow my leader. I can tell you many have been approached by the private sector, but turned them down (not in all cases) because they would rather work in the community. People of West Berkshire should be grateful that a dedicated group of professionals is working for the greater good. Not everything will go right, or not everybody will be satisfied, but the best option is always taken for the majority, if not always for the individual.

Yours,

Petra

Dear Petra

But of course yours are not? rolleyes.gif And of course you know that I am ignorant of any WBC Officers or Councillors? rolleyes.gif

Professional and WBC really do not go together do they? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 4 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

I'd chip in but, probably above my pay grade tongue.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Mar 4 2016, 05:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Mar 4 2016, 05:46 PM) *
I'd chip in but, probably above my pay grade tongue.gif

Yes you would undoubtedly be incorrect as well? You know full well our dear Petra, who has a very highly paid and responsible position, could never be wrong! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Mar 4 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Mar 4 2016, 05:53 PM) *
Yes you would undoubtedly be incorrect as well? You know full well our dear Petra, who has a very highly paid and responsible position, could never be wrong! rolleyes.gif

Aww! Bless! Someone needs her medication checking again. cool.gif

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 4 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Petra @ Mar 4 2016, 05:14 PM) *
Mr Capp,

Whether you like the statement “You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs” or not does not change the fact that’s “eggs” will always be broken when making harsh decisions. Of course, you could dress it up in other terms, but one of the criticisms of the public is using waffle when straight talking is preferable.

When one is making cuts, it is obvious there will be victims, therefore, you need the right professionals in place. WBC does that admirably. I do, though, understand that those that look in from outside will never be pleased and will always speak emotionally when making such critical comments. WBC’s duty is to do the best for the greater good, rather than the individual.

My Mr Carter quotes relate to some time ago and not to the present. I made those comments because you waxed lyrical about the Mr Carter. My feelings are that all major projects in Newbury have been poorly managed. Whether it is a failure to support the NTC over Victoria Park, or the failure to secure the homes in Parkway for those that need them, failing to secure revenue from Parkway parking, giving swaths of public land to private developers for next to nowt, officers misleading councillors, using wrong documents over major town developments, unnecessarily re-paving Newbury town centre to the tune of 2,000,000 quid, giving people insomnia with too bright street lighting, CCTV transition failure, etc...

At the end of the day the cuts are a result of Tory policy and the Tories won the general election, so there's little one can complain about, except for the majority of the electorate who didn't vote for them of course.

QUOTE (Petra @ Mar 4 2016, 05:14 PM) *
It is always going to be easy for people, like yourself, to sit at your computer terminal and criticize, a sort of fantasy football. But the women and men of WBC do not have the luxury of your fantasy football fishbowl viewpoint, but have to work in the real world, with real money that could create a chain effect. Trust me when I say that all options are on-board and from there the people in the loop dwindle it down to a working hypothesis. Yours, Petra

I find decisions are a lot easier when you have little or no choice.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 4 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Dear Petra

I'm not sure if you read Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, it might have given you a rather different take.

Local Councils aren't trading organisations and it doesn't need commercial management, rather good stewardship. The staff are there to do what the Councillors or the Government tell them.

We don't then need this excellent top draw expertise you suggest. Simply people who are competent and adequate. A council like West Berkshire, by virtue of its size, us never going to attract 'top people' anyway. They already recognise that because whenever anything major us required, they do what any small operation would do, call in consultants or contractors. No innovative thinking, strategic or otherwise is needed, or indeed welcome. That's no bad thing, because for the sake of our economy, we hardly want our best brains employed in local councils, let alone small ones like West Berkshire.

So, when it comes to pay, it should reflect the reality of the situation, rather than a self assessed determination. Over the years, collective bargaining has delivered exactly what Adam Smith predicted. Even Mrs Thatcher and Mr Tebbitt failed to grasp that nettle - far too difficult. That's simply because our politicians don't see that good dispassionate HR skills are essential for their role.

Sorry to disillusion you; but I don't think you'll find what I've summarised differs too much from what gets taught these days.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 4 2016, 09:28 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 4 2016, 09:24 PM) *
They already recognise that because whenever anything major us required, they do what any small operation would do, call in consultants or contractors. No innovative thinking, strategic or otherwise is needed, or indeed welcome. That's no bad thing, because for the sake of our economy, we hardly want our best brains employed in local councils, let alone small ones like West Berkshire.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Freudian slip?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 4 2016, 10:05 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Mar 4 2016, 09:28 PM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Freudian slip?

Yes! Well spotted.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:27 AM