Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Northbrook street car park, Vandalism forces early closure
Bloggo
post Nov 25 2009, 12:04 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

Isn't it so disappointing that in the run up to Christmas and the late night shopping opportunities the Council will be closing the Northbrook street car park at 7pm due to vandalism. ( also stated that the car park is underutilised after this time)
Once again the authorities have surrendered to the vandalism problem rather than face it and deal with it. What sort of message does this end out to the yobs in this Town.
So shoppers and retailers will be inconvenienced because the Council and Police can't control the Yobs culture.
It is unbelievable how much ground is being given up to the thugs. At what point do we say enough is enough and deal with it.
What a bl**dy disgrace.

--------------------
Bloggo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 25 2009, 12:49 PM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 25 2009, 12:04 PM) *
Isn't it so disappointing that in the run up to Christmas and the late night shopping opportunities the Council will be closing the Northbrook street car park at 7pm due to vandalism. ( also stated that the car park is underutilised after this time)
Once again the authorities have surrendered to the vandalism problem rather than face it and deal with it. What sort of message does this end out to the yobs in this Town.
So shoppers and retailers will be inconvenienced because the Council and Police can't control the Yobs culture.
It is unbelievable how much ground is being given up to the thugs. At what point do we say enough is enough and deal with it.
What a bl**dy disgrace.

Fair enough, but if extra resources were drafted in to keep the car park secure ( a neccessary evil I'm afraid ), would people then start complaining about the cost?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 25 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Nov 25 2009, 12:49 PM) *
Fair enough, but if extra resources were drafted in to keep the car park secure ( a neccessary evil I'm afraid ), would people then start complaining about the cost?

Bill, you have missed my point.
What concerns me is the apparent ease with which the core problem, vandalism, is not dealt with.
Shutting the carpark will move the problem elsewhere, maybe your street!

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 25 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I suspect the 'small scale' vandalism is a more of an excuse.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 25 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 25 2009, 12:04 PM) *
What a bl**dy disgrace.

I have to admit something Bloggo - The other day a young mans dog crapped all over the pavement in front of my house. Instead of picking it up he just left it there. So I followed him at a discreet distance and found out where he lived. I then went home and picked up the aforementioned crap walked round to his house and deposited it outside his house. It was wrong but it made me feel a lot better. laugh.gif

As for Vandals. If they are caught I think they should be prosecuted and their parents fined the value of the damage they have caused. And if they can't afford the fine get an attachment to earnings (if they are employed) or a reduction in their benefits by the value of the damage.
I think you might find that Vandalism declines....

I'm afraid its that or Vigilantes. Harry Brown anyone?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 25 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

[quote name='TallDarkAndHandsome' date='Nov 25 2009, 01:24 PM' post='11381']
I have to admit something Bloggo - The other day a young mans dog crapped all over the pavement in front of my house. Instead of picking it up he just left it there. So I followed him at a discreet distance and found out where he lived. I then went home and picked up the aforementioned crap walked round to his house and deposited it outside his house. It was wrong but it made me feel a lot better. laugh.gif
[\quote]
Good for you. You should have stuffed through his letterbox. laugh.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Nov 25 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 25 2009, 01:09 PM) *
Bill, you have missed my point.
What concerns me is the apparent ease with which the core problem, vandalism, is not dealt with.
Shutting the carpark will move the problem elsewhere, maybe your street!

I haven't Bloggo, I agree with you on vandalism completely.

It's the public complaining about the cost of trying to stop it that worries me.

It's been down our street many times already I'm afraid sad.gif

+Quote Post
Gumbo
post Nov 25 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 25 2009, 01:24 PM) *

Brilliant.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Nov 25 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

The car park will be closed only in as far as new customers are concerned - yoo will not be able to enter the car park after 7pm.

If your car is already in the car park, then you will still be able to exit after 7pm.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 25 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Presumably the vandals can stoop under the exit barriers as well, to gain access.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 25 2009, 07:36 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

If they made the car park free after 7pm there would be plenty of activity - which would reduce the vandalism.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 25 2009, 07:37 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 25 2009, 07:36 PM) *
If they made the car park free after 7pm there would be plenty of activity - which would reduce the vandalism.

Free won't help fund the empty cinema! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 26 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

As well as Northbrook Street car park, the Northcroft Lane West car park is also being shut in the evening because of yobbish behaviour.
http://consultationfinder.westberks.gov.uk...&criteria=I

A review of the current position with regard to the Northcroft Lane West car park has shown that this car park is abused to the extent that cars are driving around the car park at high speed and other nefarious acts are being committed. It has therefore been agreed that the Council will fund the installation of entry and exit gates to deter the improper use of the car park at night. It has been agreed that the car park should be locked at 22:00 hours and re=opened at 07:15 hours Monday to Sunday.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 27 2009, 08:24 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 25 2009, 07:36 PM) *
Are you sure. Would people really park ten minutes away from the cinema to save a quid?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Nov 27 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 27 2009, 08:24 AM) *
Are you sure. Would people really park ten minutes away from the cinema to save a quid?

Yes, people don't even do that when parking is free (Bayer on a Saturday).

+Quote Post
Blake
post Nov 27 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

Why aren't the Police taking action here?

It's not like the station is very far away. Were the offenders caught on CCTV?

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 27 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Blake @ Nov 27 2009, 09:48 AM) *
Why aren't the Police taking action here?

It's not like the station is very far away. Were the offenders caught on CCTV?
Unless they place an officer on every floor the whole time the car park is open I don't see how they can catch the offenders every time it happens. CCTV won't cover the whole of the car park the whole of the time and won't identify individuals if their face is covered.

Referring back to the original post, would you be willing to pay more to keep the car park open in the evening?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 27 2009, 04:02 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 27 2009, 01:24 PM) *
Unless they place an officer on every floor the whole time the car park is open I don't see how they can catch the offenders every time it happens. CCTV won't cover the whole of the car park the whole of the time and won't identify individuals if their face is covered.

Referring back to the original post, would you be willing to pay more to keep the car park open in the evening?

Will you be willing to try and catch vandals or is this an admission that the police have washed their hands of this sort of crime and would rather pursue the motorist? (And I don't drive and have NEVER driven).

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Nov 27 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Vandalise a car park - the car park gets shut; vandalise toilets -the toilets get shut; a few youths get drunk - tax alcohol; shoplifters (thieves) get off scot free if they steal under £50 - we pay in higher prices. These are all criminal offences that WE pay for, either in money or inconvenience, not the perpertrator. Rather than complaining about the car park closing, why are we not marching of the powers that be demanding they catch these louts and make them repair the damage?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 27 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Nov 27 2009, 04:32 PM) *
Vandalise a car park - the car park gets shut; vandalise toilets -the toilets get shut; a few youths get drunk - tax alcohol; shoplifters (thieves) get off scot free if they steal under £50 - we pay in higher prices. These are all criminal offences that WE pay for, either in money or inconvenience, not the perpertrator. Rather than complaining about the car park closing, why are we not marching of the powers that be demanding they catch these louts and make them repair the damage?

Its getting to that - I know a large swathe of very angry like minded people who all work and feel that they are having something taken out of them (I won't say it cos it will be modded) by this ridiculous era that we are unfortunate to live in.

The Country is ripe for a charasmatic leader who states what the majority of people think but are afraid to say for risk of being labelled (and before I get accused of being right wing again I don't care if he is a communist as long as he speaks for the hard working hard done to man who works 50 hours a week and not the stay at home scrounger whose kids vandalise properties). Unforunately though I cannot see anyone on the horizon of this calibre. Just a lot of miscreant nefarious politicians looking to line there own pockets with tax payer money.

VIVA LA REVOUTION. wink.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:27 PM