Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury; is it consumer friendly?
Spider
post Mar 3 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,832

I just put a post up in another section saying that Newbury doesn't seem business friendly, or I should say that WBC doesn't make it easy for businesses. Putting signs up that mislead, smaller parking bays, unfriendly traffic wardens (or at least they seem that way) creates a bad character for Newbury. I, like others, do my shopping outside Newbury where I can park easily and without worrying about a traffic warden sneaking up on me so that they can make their masters more money.

Do other people share this view of Newbury or I am out of touch?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 3 2015, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I moved to Wantage in November, I haven't been stuck in traffic since! Doorstep recycling is excellent, there isn't as many shops, but we cope. Free parking is plentiful, I'm pretty sure the grass is actually greener, and I even on occasion still bump into Simon Kirby!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Mar 3 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 3 2015, 06:39 PM) *
I moved to Wantage in November, I haven't been stuck in traffic since! Doorstep recycling is excellent, there isn't as many shops, but we cope. Free parking is plentiful, I'm pretty sure the grass is actually greener, and I even on occasion still bump into Simon Kirby!

It's a franchise, every town has one. smile.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Spider
post Mar 3 2015, 07:11 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,832

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 3 2015, 06:39 PM) *

I think that is the answer Strafin, if we want something better than Newbury is offering we have to look outside. It is a shame that Newbury council or WBC isn't doing anything to make one pick Newbury town every everything else. Sadly they are more interested in their own glory and financial situation and sod the rest.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Mar 3 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

My husband and I live in Newbury and for years we've been proud of it. But of late we are thinking of moving away. WBC don't represent Newbury anymore, they represent themselves (greedy buggers) and how to screw the ordinary citizens out off much cash as they can.

All we hear in the press is how they only screw us. Like parking charges, incompetent house building, false signs to get more money, bad regulations, fantastic wages for those up top and little service below.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 3 2015, 07:56 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I resent that Newbury is becoming a little Reading and I hate Reading.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 3 2015, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Mar 3 2015, 09:29 PM) *
My husband and I live in Newbury and for years we've been proud of it. But of late we are thinking of moving away. WBC don't represent Newbury anymore, they represent themselves (greedy buggers) and how to screw the ordinary citizens out off much cash as they can.

All we hear in the press is how they only screw us. Like parking charges, incompetent house building, false signs to get more money, bad regulations, fantastic wages for those up top and little service below.

And exorbitant business rates!! angry.gif

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 3 2015, 08:33 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 3 2015, 08:16 PM) *

Do you think the rates are lower in Wantage. It is of course a small town compared with Newbury.

I'm not sure we can blame WBC for the business rates in Newbury however, isn't that a function of central government.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 3 2015, 08:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Mar 3 2015, 10:33 PM) *
Do you think the rates are lower in Wantage. It is of course a small town compared with Newbury.

I'm not sure we can blame WBC for the business rates in Newbury however, isn't that a function of central government.

You're probably right but, as a response to the op comments, I think they are one of the main reasons why there are so many empty shops and a reluctance to start up retail businesses.

+Quote Post
masons
post Mar 3 2015, 08:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 295

as a fugitive from Reading 20 plus years ago I agree with all of the above and am also planning on moving away

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Mar 3 2015, 09:05 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (masons @ Mar 3 2015, 08:41 PM) *
as a fugitive from Reading 20 plus years ago I agree with all of the above and am also planning on moving away

I accept that a move from Reading would be a good move but Newbury is hard to beat in the UK. It has pleasant shopping, very few murders and other crime is comparatively low. According to facebook, a lot of kid's bikes are stolen and a few shed doors are rattled. Traffic is a bit of a pain but where isn't it. Where do you plan to move to by the way. The Scottish Isles are nice but then where do you find somewhere to work and the winters are bitter. Wales, well also very nice but they all keep bursting into song and then, having to keep driving up and down the valleys, no traffic and nothing but scenery. Bournemouth, like the Isle of Wight, has nice beaches, but what a boring place to live.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 3 2015, 10:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

It's really quite sad. Newbury is actually a fantastic location and has a pretty good foundation to nurture and work up - ironically just as the original NTC design statement of some years back says. Regrettably, turf wars, particularly in planning and design, between District and Town Councils are conspiring to ruin it just as much as the failure to properly engage and excite the electorate.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Mar 5 2015, 07:05 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 3 2015, 08:16 PM) *

I certainly wouldn't want to have a business in Newbury, so I agree with you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:49 PM