Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 8 2010, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

This is funny reading this article. I went past Debenhams yesterday and I thought that their building would be an ideal place for Primark. Let us hope they get it.

By refusing to comment it is a good indicator.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 8 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I've never seen a Primark in a shopping centre though. I hope it happens, my wife's got some stuff to return and I could do without the trip to Basingstoke.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Feb 9 2010, 12:25 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 8 2010, 08:31 PM) *
I've never seen a Primark in a shopping centre though. I hope it happens, my wife's got some stuff to return and I could do without the trip to Basingstoke.

Lucky git!!
I wish mine would take some back....!!!

laugh.gif

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Mariejader
post Feb 9 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 591

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 8 2010, 08:31 PM) *

I am pretty sure there is one in Oxford

--------------------
www.mad4photography.co.uk

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 9 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

I've been told today that Primark had made a bid but the council turned them down. Shops like Camp Hobson and other retailers have objected to them being in Newbury; as it will affect their trade.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Feb 9 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

QUOTE (GMR @ Feb 9 2010, 08:22 PM) *
I've been told today that Primark had made a bid but the council turned them down. Shops like Camp Hobson and other retailers have objected to them being in Newbury; as it will affect their trade.

Heaven forbid! Competition? Whatever next! Fair trade in Newbury? Nah, that'd be too beneficial to the customer wink.gif .

Here's an idea, let Primark give it a go, let the customer decide who survives, what about it? dry.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 9 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (GMR @ Feb 9 2010, 07:22 PM) *

I don't believe that Camps or any other trader would have that much of a hold on the council.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 9 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 9 2010, 09:27 PM) *
I don't believe that Camps or any other trader would have that much of a hold on the council.

Well, that is what I've been told. Whether it is true is another matter. However, the only way to find out is ask the Council. Would they lie if it was true?

+Quote Post
gizmo
post Feb 9 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 200

They may not have a direct influance on the council, but they have a major influance on the Newbury Town Centre Partnership.

Camps is the only retailer represented, the rest is made up of Reading Buses, Rivar, Newbury Sound, Donnington Valley Hotel, West Berks Council, the Racecourse, the College, the Police and Vodaclone.

Why do you think they built the funiture centre where it is and in the shape it is, it was so it would merge with the new shopping centre, and seeing as it was built ages ago, they knew about the new shopping centre plans.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 10 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Why do you think Whetherspoons have had such a hard time finding premises in town?

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Feb 10 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

LOL Primarni affect the trade for Camps, now Peacocks and TKMaxx I can understand but that's hardly a reason the turn them down. I think the logo above the Kennet Center's entrance will soon say Welcome and Chav a nice day.

+Quote Post
regor
post Feb 10 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 236

Don't care if it is Primark, Wilkinson or the Pirates from the seventh moon of Galifrie, somebody needs to break up the cushty competition free zone known as Newbury town centre.

Bring it on!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 10 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 10 2010, 11:53 AM) *
Why do you think Whetherspoons have had such a hard time finding premises in town?

Wetherspoons have said for years that they have no interest in Newbury, not that they haven't been able to get a premises. They now have 2, as soon as they made the decision to come here they found premises.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Feb 11 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Strafin @ Feb 10 2010, 04:57 PM) *
Wetherspoons have said for years that they have no interest in Newbury, not that they haven't been able to get a premises. They now have 2, as soon as they made the decision to come here they found premises.

not true. They wanted the old Daniel's store but were refused.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Feb 11 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I know for a fact that a few years ago, trying to get a drinks licence for a change of use premises in town would be met with 'stiff opposition' from the Police.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 11 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Feb 11 2010, 10:35 AM) *
not true. They wanted the old Daniel's store but were refused.

Refused what exactly? There is always a lot of hearsay about Wetherspoons, but they have often been quoted in the NWN as denying they are coming to; or have an interest in Newbury.

+Quote Post
factsonly
post Feb 11 2010, 04:11 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 712

What a load of old tosh, it's not down to the council who rent a shop, just so long as there is no need for change of use. They only have a say over planning i.e signs, change of use etc. Also other shops can't stop a shop opening, it's a free market. If Primark want to come to Newbury they will. It's down to the landlord who he lets a shop to and no one else.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Feb 11 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (factsonly @ Feb 11 2010, 04:11 PM) *
What a load of old tosh, it's not down to the council who rent a shop, just so long as there is no need for change of use. They only have a say over planning i.e signs, change of use etc. Also other shops can't stop a shop opening, it's a free market. If Primark want to come to Newbury they will. It's down to the landlord who he lets a shop to and no one else.

Shops can object and they have already been turned down once. I've checked with two different sources and they have agreed that that is so.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 11 2010, 08:39 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Of course shop's can't object! Are you suggesting that before a company buys a premises they have to let everyone know first and allow the competition to decide whether they go ahead or not?

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:55 AM