Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cars v Bicycles, Inconsiderate Motorists
motormad
post Aug 28 2011, 12:13 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 592

I see it like this, cyclists dont have insurance and dont pay road tax so therefore have absolutely no right to use the **** road and then you get the arrogant idiots that ride race bikes and insist on riding side by side.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 28 2011, 09:01 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Pedestrians don't pay road tax, but most people in this country pay a lot of tax for basic services they expect to be there. Road tax is just an admin thing it has absolutely nothing to do with using the roads, council tax has more of a bearing I would imagine. I hate cyclists as much as the next man but, (like most things I hate), they have a right to be there. Perhaps they should be made to take a cycling proficiency test every few years though.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 28 2011, 09:06 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 28 2011, 01:13 AM) *
I see it like this, cyclists dont have insurance and dont pay road tax so therefore have absolutely no right to use the **** road and then you get the arrogant idiots that ride race bikes and insist on riding side by side.

Would paying tax make cycling two a breast acceptable?

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 28 2011, 09:41 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (motormad @ Aug 28 2011, 01:13 AM) *

Since when did the public highway become the preserve of cars?

Horses and carts don't pay 'road tax' (scrapped in 1937).
Vehicles over 30 years old don't pay VEL
Certain groups of disabled drivers are exempt
and many others
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excis...Exempt_vehicles

How many people are killed by cyclists compared to killed by VEL-displaying vehicles?
When was the last time you saw a bicycle being pursued by the police on TV?
Not many reports of shops being ram-raided by cyclists.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 28 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 28 2011, 10:41 AM) *
When was the last time you saw a bicycle being pursued by the police on TV?

Never, because cyclists seem to be immune to the law and the rules in the Highway Code.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 28 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 28 2011, 10:52 AM) *
Never, because cyclists seem to be immune to the law and the rules in the Highway Code.

I'd suggest that they are not immune, more that the police concentrate on the more important issues in their day.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 28 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Aug 28 2011, 11:09 AM) *
I'd suggest that they are not immune, more that the police concentrate on the more important issues in their day.

Yep, immune! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 28 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/8197430.stm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/136...er-a-nurse.html

Doesn't loo immune to me.

And on the flip side

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/cri...for-murder.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8242631.stm

http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/2011/...driver-arrested

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Aug 29 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Darren @ Aug 28 2011, 11:33 AM) *

If the law had been pursued BEFORE they killed or injured someone then these unfortunate events may not have happened.
When has a cyclist been prosecuted JUST for cycling on the pavement?
No, they have to kill or injure someone first.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 29 2011, 08:52 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Nice to see some examples, but there are hundreds of examples every day of motorists being fined/prosecuted for minor infringements. I personally have yet to see a cyclist actually get "done" for anything minor.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 29 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 29 2011, 08:27 AM) *
If the law had been pursued BEFORE they killed or injured someone then these unfortunate events may not have happened.
When has a cyclist been prosecuted JUST for cycling on the pavement?
No, they have to kill or injure someone first.

I suspect that incidents like these are rare. I also doubt if laws or increased law enforcement would made much difference to these unfortunate people. With all the laws there are, you will always get perverse people.

+Quote Post
Darren
post Aug 29 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 29 2011, 09:52 AM) *
Nice to see some examples, but there are hundreds of examples every day of motorists being fined/prosecuted for minor infringements. I personally have yet to see a cyclist actually get "done" for anything minor.

Google is your friend

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside...84229-28092582/

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/839842-four-po...ing-on-pavement

http://oxfordstudent.com/2010/06/03/police...nts-seeing-red/

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/art...-of-the-road.do

And the best one a quick search could find...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelne...-red-light.html

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 29 2011, 11:08 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Nice searching! Good to see that laws are being enforced.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Aug 29 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Aug 29 2011, 12:08 PM) *
Nice searching! Good to see that laws are being enforced.

Gives you a warm comforting feeling does it? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 30 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

Normally cycle riders don't upset me, but I had two incidents this weekend which really bugged me.

On Saturday driving on the A4 eastbound toward Theale. There were was about twenty cyclists spread out, some side by side.

Cars had to slow down to pass them, and swerve way into the other lane to pass them. They seemed not to care about the danger they were causing to themselves and others. Even the single riders were well into the road.

The other incident was yesterday walking with my family along the canal westward just north of Northcroft.

Suddenly 6 men on mountain bikes appeared less than 5 feet behind us asking us to move out of the way. Luckily my wife was able to move the push chair and I was able to move my son and the dog out of way. They all said thank you, but did not even slow down as they passed us. You would think that common sense would prevail and they would of let us know they were were closer than 5 feet away.

While I know car drivers can be very rude and ignore cyclists, I have seen people on suicide missions, especially in London.

I wish the police would fine cyclists when their actions cause danger not only to themselves, but other drivers...

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Aug 30 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Would of?

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Aug 30 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Aug 30 2011, 09:28 AM) *
Normally cycle riders don't upset me, but I had two incidents this weekend which really bugged me.

On Saturday driving on the A4 eastbound toward Theale. There were was about twenty cyclists spread out, some side by side.

Cars had to slow down to pass them, and swerve way into the other lane to pass them. They seemed not to care about the danger they were causing to themselves and others. Even the single riders were well into the road.

The other incident was yesterday walking with my family along the canal westward just north of Northcroft.

Suddenly 6 men on mountain bikes appeared less than 5 feet behind us asking us to move out of the way. Luckily my wife was able to move the push chair and I was able to move my son and the dog out of way. They all said thank you, but did not even slow down as they passed us. You would think that common sense would prevail and they would of let us know they were were closer than 5 feet away.

While I know car drivers can be very rude and ignore cyclists, I have seen people on suicide missions, especially in London.

I wish the police would fine cyclists when their actions cause danger not only to themselves, but other drivers...

A4
Cars ALWAYS have to slow down for cyclists. Perhaps if us drivers (And for me a cyclist too), weren't in such a hurry, then cyclists should not be a problem.
If you had to 'swerve' then you were obviously going too fast!!! How would you deal with a real emergency?
Are you saying you crossed to the oncoming lane when vehicles were approaching? I think not. Just wait if there are and be safe when you do. I'm sure a few cyclists would be a similar width to a dirty great lorry, so no change there. In addition, as a cyclist, there is no way I drive as close to the kerb as poss because some cars want to get past, tough stuff. Do you drive with your nearside wheels hugging the kerb and plonking down drains and debris?

Canal Path

Amazing response to an impending collision!... There is no way you could all do as you say whilst a speeding bike is 'less than five feet away'! They saw you before you saw them. Had you still not noticed, they would have HAD to slow down. Don't forget they wish to preserve their wellbeing as well as yours. You say they didn't slow down, but if you didn't see them until too late, how do you know they didn't slow down prior to engaging you and yours? The then current speed will 'appear' to be fast due to you being a pedestrian. I'll bet a weeks wages they trailed you for a while before you were aware of them.

Police fines

When the road is clear of ******* car/van/lorry drivers who manage to buy vehicles without indicators and mirros then by all means focus on cycles.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Aug 30 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

And another point,

Is it any wonder that cyclists ride on the path when so many drivers park their sodding cars on said pathways 'so's not to make it difficult for other drivers'?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Aug 30 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

Cars ALWAYS have to slow down for cyclists. Perhaps if us drivers (And for me a cyclist too), weren't in such a hurry, then cyclists should not be a problem.
If you had to 'swerve' then you were obviously going too fast!!! How would you deal with a real emergency?
Are you saying you crossed to the oncoming lane when vehicles were approaching?

Cars slowed down and were queueing to get around them, including myself to get around them, because a few of them were not going in a straight line. We had to swerve (not into oncoming traffic) because of their erratic behaviour.

There is no way you could all do as you say whilst a speeding bike is 'less than five feet away'!

Did I say they were speeding, no. Were they going faster than a walking pace, yes. Did they see us, yes. Could they have stopped before hitting us, probably. Did we have to move quickly to get out of their way yes. Could they have given more advance notice, yes. Did they slow down while they passed us, no.

Would of?

The grammar police are on patrol again..

+Quote Post
oldharry
post Aug 31 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Aug 28 2011, 10:52 AM) *

There seems to be a fault on this forum's software - it removed the word 'motor' from before 'cyclists' in your post.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:22 AM