Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parking a Goods Vehicle at Home
Simon Kirby
post Jun 16 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

Anyone know anything about parking a goods vehicle at home? The situation as I understand it is that you need an operating licence for a 7.5 tonne goods vehicle and that the licence will specify the operating centres where the vehicle is ordinarily parked, and I wondered if it was possible in principle to have a domestic driveway as as operating centre in addition to a main haulage yard so that a driver might take vehicles home over night. Any ideas? And would you know about the planning permission requirements for the same situation.

Many thanks.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 16 2014, 08:16 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 16 2014, 09:02 PM) *
Anyone know anything about parking a goods vehicle at home? The situation as I understand it is that you need an operating licence for a 7.5 tonne goods vehicle and that the licence will specify the operating centres where the vehicle is ordinarily parked, and I wondered if it was possible in principle to have a domestic driveway as as operating centre in addition to a main haulage yard so that a driver might take vehicles home over night. Any ideas? And would you know about the planning permission requirements for the same situation.

Many thanks.

Mr Google does

For a start

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 16 2014, 08:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 16 2014, 09:16 PM) *
Mr Google does

For a start

Thanks. I started there, and I believe I understand the principles, but I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me what that looks like in practice - it may for example be well known by those who know these things that you'd never get an operator's licence for a domestic driveway, or alternatively it might be equally well know that there is no problem with suitable driveways for overnight parking if there is also main yard - that kind of thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 16 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 16 2014, 09:25 PM) *
Thanks. I started there, and I believe I understand the principles, but I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me what that looks like in practice - it may for example be well known by those who know these things that you'd never get an operator's licence for a domestic driveway, or alternatively it might be equally well know that there is no problem with suitable driveways for overnight parking if there is also main yard - that kind of thing.

'Operating Centre' does not usually define where the vehicles will be parked overnight. The location merely has to be able to accommodate that number of vehicles' operation. Further, if the vehicle is parked off-road, the limitations re lights etc would not apply.

Not liking where a neighbour parks is not usually grounds for complaint

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 17 2014, 12:19 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Simon I can only assume someone has a van or truck and you're getting annoyed with their parking?

as long as it's on their property what's the problem, eg a small lorry or truck on someone's driveway is their own perogative surely.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 17 2014, 05:25 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (motormad @ Jun 17 2014, 01:19 AM) *
Simon I can only assume someone has a van or truck and you're getting annoyed with their parking?

Errm, no, not the situation at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 17 2014, 06:50 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

For a 'General' question you have the general answer.....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 17 2014, 09:31 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

He probably wants to keep a truck at home or somewhere urban, or he knows of a situation like that.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 17 2014, 11:09 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 17 2014, 10:31 AM) *
He probably wants to keep a truck at home or somewhere urban, or he knows of a situation like that.

Quite so. I think I've found the answer now, and ordinarily an operating licence wouldn't be approved. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jun 17 2014, 12:30 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

Why did you want to know Simon.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 17 2014, 11:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 16 2014, 09:02 PM) *
The situation as I understand it is that you need an operating licence for a 7.5 tonne goods vehicle and that the licence will specify the operating centres where the vehicle is ordinarily parked

An operators licence is required for commercial vehicles above 3.5 tonnes and it can be approved to operate from a domestic property but would have to meet certain conditions. (Such as being large enough so you are able to enter and exit in forward gear - ie not reversing into a driveway - and not having a detrimental effect on the surrounding environment - ie not annoying other residents in the immediate area. )

You have to advertise your intention in the local paper and other residents have 21 days to raise an objection. A residential property would not normally be approved unless it was out in the country, away from other neighbouring properties.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 18 2014, 06:37 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 18 2014, 12:27 AM) *
An operators licence is required for commercial vehicles above 3.5 tonnes and it can be approved to operate from a domestic property but would have to meet certain conditions. (Such as being large enough so you are able to enter and exit in forward gear - ie not reversing into a driveway - and not having a detrimental effect on the surrounding environment - ie not annoying other residents in the immediate area. )

You have to advertise your intention in the local paper and other residents have 21 days to raise an objection. A residential property would not normally be approved unless it was out in the country, away from other neighbouring properties.

Thanks for that, that's pretty much what I'm hearing elsewhere. Thanks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 18 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

The 'Operating Centre' and where a vehicle parks do not have to be the same place.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jun 18 2014, 04:28 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 18 2014, 08:43 AM) *
The 'Operating Centre' and where a vehicle parks do not have to be the same place.

If the vehicle was to be parked at a domestic property it would have to be registered as an Operating Centre.

The Vehicle Operator’s Licence is registered against the Operating Centre and that is where the vehicle should be parked when not in use. It’s for this reason that the OC is checked by the local authority to ensure the site can safely accommodate the vehicle under licence.

Operating centre info

When it’s in use the vehicle can be parked elsewhere (which explains the number of HGVs parked in Faraday Road every night) but that doesn’t mean you can take your 43 tonner and jam it into your driveway because it’s more convenient for you. Failure to comply with the terms of your VOL could result in the registered keeper facing a dressing down from the Traffic Commissioner at a Public Inquiry

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 18 2014, 04:28 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 18 2014, 08:43 AM) *

Can you clarify that please as on what I already understand I don't agree, and I'd like to know if I'm mistaken. What I see is:

5. Operating centres
Your operating centre is where your vehicles are normally kept when not in use. When you apply for an operator’s licence, you’ll be asked to give the address of your proposed centre(s) and information about the numbers of trailers and vehicles you will keep there. You’ll need to show that your operating centre:

• is large enough
  • has safe access
  • is in an environmentally acceptable location

--------------------

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 18 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jun 18 2014, 05:28 PM) *
If the vehicle was to be parked at a domestic property it would have to be registered as an Operating Centre.

The Vehicle Operator's Licence is registered against the Operating Centre and that is where the vehicle should be parked when not in use. It's for this reason that the OC is checked by the local authority to ensure the site can safely accommodate the vehicle under licence.

Operating centre info

When it's in use the vehicle can be parked elsewhere (which explains the number of HGVs parked in Faraday Road every night) but that doesn't mean you can take your 43 tonner and jam it into your driveway because it's more convenient for you. Failure to comply with the terms of your VOL could result in the registered keeper facing a dressing down from the Traffic Commissioner at a Public Inquiry

Thanks. We cross-posted. This was what I understood - the vehicle couldn't be parked on the driver's driveway without it being an Operating Centre of the Operating Licence.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 18 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Are you saying every goods vehicle parked overnight has that place as a registered Operating Centre?
There has to be an Operating Centre, but the vehicle does not have to be there all the time it is not in use.
If you owned a vehicle under contract to Parcelforce, as an owner-driver, the OC would be the depot the vehicle worked out of. It does not mean the owner driver has to keep the vehicle there.
That does not mean someone can hire out random space as an OC, allowing a vast number of owners to say that is their OC, as the Commissioners would soon see the number of vehicles could not possibly be kept there even if wanted.
Someone parking at home and thereby causing some nuisance would also find the Commissioners asking awkward questions.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 18 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 18 2014, 06:25 PM) *
Are you saying every goods vehicle parked overnight has that place as a registered Operating Centre?
There has to be an Operating Centre, but the vehicle does not have to be there all the time it is not in use.
If you owned a vehicle under contract to Parcelforce, as an owner-driver, the OC would be the depot the vehicle worked out of. It does not mean the owner driver has to keep the vehicle there.
That does not mean someone can hire out random space as an OC, allowing a vast number of owners to say that is their OC, as the Commissioners would soon see the number of vehicles could not possibly be kept there even if wanted.
Someone parking at home and thereby causing some nuisance would also find the Commissioners asking awkward questions.

I believe it's as spartacus says: when the vehicle is not in use it must be parked in an OC of an OL which lists that vehicle. A single vehicle may be listed on any number of OLs, and an OL may have any number of OCs.

It is my understanding that a vehicle must be parked at one of the OCs of any of the OL's on which it is listed. I believe it is an offence to park the vehicle other that at an OC when it is not in use - though "en-route" is in use so parking in Ampere Road on the way to the docks is fine, but parking at home is not in use and would be an offence if home wasn't and OC - and what I'm hearing is that unless home is in the middle of nowhere with enough space to drive in and out without reversing then home wouldn't be granted an OC.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jun 18 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Asking detailed legal questions on here is like asking the cashier at Tesco's how the pineapples are grown. If you really need to know detail then go to DVSA, join the FTA and ask them, ask the Planning Dept the local stance etc. Each case is considered on its merits. A home address can be an OC, there is flex on a vehicle not being at the OC every occasion it is not in use. There is no definition, just an outline of what is required.
I merely suggested an operator is not banned from taking the vehicle home, but lying to the Commissioner on the location of the OC (as in never using it) is asking for trouble.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 18 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jun 18 2014, 08:57 PM) *
Asking detailed legal questions on here is like asking the cashier at Tesco's how the pineapples are grown. If you really need to know detail then go to DVSA, join the FTA and ask them, ask the Planning Dept the local stance etc. Each case is considered on its merits. A home address can be an OC, there is flex on a vehicle not being at the OC every occasion it is not in use. There is no definition, just an outline of what is required.
I merely suggested an operator is not banned from taking the vehicle home, but lying to the Commissioner on the location of the OC (as in never using it) is asking for trouble.

Thank you for your advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:40 AM