IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Should this board be better moderated?
Iommi
post Sep 26 2009, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 20

Since the beginning of this board there have been instances of members, like myself, getting into a squabble; often wrecking threads. Do you think these boards, therefore, should be better moderated? Perhaps short bans to allow members to cool off? What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Sep 26 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

There is a very fine line between firm moderation and censorship.

As the board is run by a business, it really has to be down to them, but does it warrant having a dedicated moderator as this would pull someone from their normal role within NWN. Reactive moderation does happen, but only following a complaint.

Perhaps one of the Admins can give an overview on how the site is managed?

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 26 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Sometimes, moderators are volunteers, board members. I don't endorse censureship as such, but when there is a situation where, say, GMR and I have both ends of a bone in our jaws and won't let go, it might be handy to have a mod to say stop it, or simply lock the accounts for a short period of time. Possibly even clear up the mess, so to speak.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 26 2009, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 191

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 26 2009, 01:57 PM) *
Sometimes, moderators are volunteers, board members. I don't endorse censureship as such, but when there is a situation where, say, GMR and I have both ends of a bone in our jaws and won't let go, it might be handy to have a mod to say stop it, or simply lock the accounts for a short period of time. Possibly even clear up the mess, so to speak.

I don't think your little squabbles are that serious to be honest, certainly nothing like some of the troll type attacks you can see on other forums.

The problem is that you both like to have the last word, most of us just ignore it all.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 26 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

There is nothing wrong with a good old ding dong providing it doesn't get personal . I am sure the other contributors ( me included ) are quite happy to let you have your little spat providing it doesn't digress from the initial posting .

Having the site monitored would stifle the freedom of expression we all enjoy , after all we can always start another topic and leave the two protagonists to slug it out in a corner somewhere .

So seconds out round 47 laugh.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 26 2009, 01:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Fair enough, when a thread wears out, but I find it regrettable when a thread cannot even get off the ground. The poster from Turnpike annoys me so much that I sometimes feel like taking the issue further. No other board member from any other forum does that to me.

So, some of you might think that it is a problem that I must deal with, which is true, but on other forums I have used, there will be a mod that will sometimes step in and simply say cut it out and also clean up the mess as well. It need not disrupt the flow of discussions, but it might also encourage the more shy amongst us to post.

The best option for me, I think, because I cannot easily let things lie, is to create a new thread when things start to boil, where them and I can call each other names until mummy calls us in for tea.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 26 2009, 01:35 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 26 2009, 02:25 PM) *
Fair enough, when a thread wears out, but I find it regrettable when a thread cannot even get off the ground. The poster from Turnpike annoys me so much that I sometimes feel like taking the issue further. No other board member from any other forum does that to me.

So, some of you might think that it is a problem that I must deal with, which is true, but on other forums I have used, there will be a mod that will sometimes step in and simply say cut it out and also clean up the mess as well. It need not disrupt the flow of discussions, but it might also encourage the more shy amongst us to post.

The best option for me, I think, because I cannot easily let things lie, is to create a new thread when things start to boil, where them and I can call each other names until mummy calls us in for tea.

I understand what you say about moderators on other forums and you're right, but I don't think your spats with GMR really disrupt a thread, nor are either of you shrinking violets who need a mod to sort it out. If members have something to say on the topic they will carry on posting and ignore you both.

If you do start a new thread to have a slanging match I suspect you will have quite an audience. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 26 2009, 02:18 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 26 2009, 02:35 PM) *
If you do start a new thread to have a slanging match I suspect you will have quite an audience. tongue.gif

There is one already, actually, which was started back in July:

http://forum.newburytoday.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=158

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I agree with what Lordup and Sarah have said.

I think the main no-no on any boards is not to get abusive. I think the way NWN has moderated these boards (i.e. observing) is about right and they only should step in when there is real abuse or one of their rules has been broken.

Concerning humour and ‘and not letting the boards get off the ground”: I have put threads up where another member has come in and said something jokily, thus sending it another direction (I’ve never got cross over it, but accept that it takes all sorts to make any boards successful; at the end of the day members decide what direction the original thread goes, not the original writer). However, if somebody puts something up that the original poster finds not ‘appropriate’ then they should PM the person concerned, rather than say something on the boards that takes it further afield. I am quite happy to apologise to any member if they found my humour not to their tastes or it was in the wrong place; however, if somebody wishes to attack instead of letting the matter rest then that also doesn’t help.

If Iommi wishes an apology to help move things along I am quite happy to do so; I apologise. No evil intent was intended in my replies. What I have learnt about boards... is what upsets one probably delights another (in other words what is one man’s meat, is another man’s poison).

Regards,

Glenn

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Sep 26 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 26 2009, 04:11 PM) *
I'm sorry if this offends Jeff, but your earlier post on the lines of 'another thread ruined' added nothing to the thread, if you had something to say on the bat question you should have just got on and said it, maybe then it would have got back on topic, as it is you are now doing what you sort of accused Iommi and GMR of doing, carrying on the nonsense. And now I'm doing the same for which I apologise. rolleyes.gif

This is the point I make, unless people just shut-up, one ends up with post after post of drivel. While some members seem to think it OK, I think it is annoying. A mod, however, could just divert the thread, as I have done here, so as not to spoil the thread. There are many people that will read these things in one go at the end of a day and it doesn't enhance the boards.

QUOTE (GMR @ Sep 26 2009, 03:23 PM) *
If Iommi wishes an apology to help move things along I am quite happy to do so; I apologise. No evil intent was intended in my replies. What I have learnt about boards... is what upsets one probably delights another (in other words what is one man’s meat, is another man’s poison).

Whether you wish to apologise is more important than whether I am asking for one. I don't think anyone has to apologise for anything on this board, but if one does, then it should be genuine - as mine are.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 26 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Why does GMR have to write bigger than everyone else?

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 03:39 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 26 2009, 04:32 PM) *
Whether you wish to apologise is more important than whether I am asking for one. I don't think anyone has to apologise for anything on this board, but if one does, then it should be genuine - as mine are.

My apologies are always genuine.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 26 2009, 04:39 PM) *
Why does GMR have to write bigger than everyone else?

That is how it comes out sometimes.... I don't do anything to change it.

+Quote Post
Sarah
post Sep 26 2009, 03:44 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Sep 26 2009, 04:32 PM) *
This is the point I make, unless people just shut-up, one ends up with post after post of drivel. While some members seem to think it OK, I think it is annoying. A mod, however, could just divert the thread, as I have done here, so as not to spoil the thread. There are many people that will read these things in one go at the end of a day and it doesn't enhance the boards.

I see your point. But the problem for moderators is in the different way members view their actions. What to one member seems like a necessary and correct action, to another seems like censorship. It is only in very extreme circumstances that all members will agree on the actions of admin. Maybe that's why the admin on this site leave well alone unless things become too nasty.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Sarah @ Sep 26 2009, 02:07 PM) *
I don't think your little squabbles are that serious to be honest, certainly nothing like some of the troll type attacks you can see on other forums.

The problem is that you both like to have the last word, most of us just ignore it all.

I like to add to that.

I agree with you and if the same situation happened on my boards we wouldn't have intervened (with the tete-a-tete). If Admin start playing God/ dictator then the members will leave (and I have been on such forums where the admin staff started laying down the law... they ended up laying down the law to nobody, but themselves, as everybody had left). However, where the language is more emotive (such as 'p*** off' or 'idiot' etc) and it was aimed at one of our members we would have removed it and sent the offender a warming. If such language was aimed at me I probably would have left it, if it was aimed at one of the moderators or other admin staff they would deal with it as they saw fit (unless it was really bad then it would have been removed and possibly the offender banned, suspended or warned).

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Shouldn't worry - cat fights are all part and parcel! They happen in the best circles - listen to 'Today in Parliament' (when they come back!!). At least it demonstrates people still have a passion.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Sep 26 2009, 06:58 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2009, 07:48 PM) *
Shouldn't worry - cat fights are all part and parcel! They happen in the best circles - listen to 'Today in Parliament' (when they come back!!). At least it demonstrates people still have a passion.

Passionate politicians , that I have to see
laugh.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Sep 26 2009, 07:29 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 26 2009, 07:58 PM) *
laugh.gif

Being naughty and totally off thread - there are some famous examples. The wholly unexpected revelations about an erstwhile 'grey' Prime Minister. Shame no viedo's exist, oh, then again.....!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
GMR
post Sep 26 2009, 07:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Sep 26 2009, 07:48 PM) *

it is all about passion at the end of the day and the freedom to express it.

+Quote Post
Hugh Saskin
post Sep 26 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 37

QUOTE (lordtup @ Sep 26 2009, 07:58 PM) *
laugh.gif

Prescott and one of his staff? John Major v Edwina Curry? tongue.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:54 AM