Reply to this topicStart new topic
> BT Tower to go under wraps!
admin
post Oct 14 2009, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

NEWBURY town councillors have welcomed plans to erect an “eye-catching” banner advertising events at the Corn Exchange on the BT Tower.
The proposal, submitted by Guy Dickens, is to erect a large scale canvas building wrap to the blank face of the building, which overlooks the Sainsbury’s roundabout on the A339, promoting the Puss In Boots pantomime over the Christmas period.
The proposed banner would initially only be in place between November and January, but it is understood that the banner could become a permanent advertisement, changing to advertise new events at the Corn Exchange.
Town councillor Phil Barnett (Lib Dem, Clay Hill) said: “I welcome it - I think it would add a considerable amount of colour to that part of the town.”
Fellow town councillor, Tony Stretton (Con, Clay Hill) said: “This is quite eye catching and I like the idea of it.
“It is striking and it is promoting something within the town and I think that is a good thing.”
David Allen (Lib Dem, Victoria) expressed a concern that it may be a distraction for drivers and said that although he supported the plans, they should be referred to highways officers. West Berkshire Council will make the final decision on the plans.
Do you think the BT Tower still holds the dubious title of Newbury's ugliest building or are there other contenders?
Attached File(s)
Attached File  05_4607c_BT_Exchange.jpg ( 775.66K ) Number of downloads: 14

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
autumnmoon
post Oct 14 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 406

I like the idea to make the most of a building, which is terribly ugly- But how much does it cost to print this giant sized canvas, and when it has been finished with, what happens to the canvas then?

It is good news that local events are promoted, it just seems as if it could cost quite a bit. I suppose it is an alternative. I am thinking of maybe a huge knitted sock to go over it :lol:

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Oct 14 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

I would imagine that after a few weeks exposed to the elements, an advertising banner would become very scruffy, and would end up looking even worse than the building anyway.

+Quote Post
TheObserver
post Oct 14 2009, 11:31 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 199

What a toughly stupid idea this is... Its not even April the 1st!! Why don't we make an even bigger spectacle of this isore by lighting it and and perhaps a "Welcome to Fabulous Newbury" on it in flashing neon..
I'm sure that the Corn Exchange could think or cheaper more effective marketing ideas than wrapping a building in canvas...
If they do this just watch Newbury become the biggest joke of the South!

Here's an idea for the Corn Exchange... why not use some of the empty retail units in the Park Way development for advertising... there could even be a few empty restaurants under the Cinema that could be used...

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Oct 14 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Guests

It isn't the ugliest building in Newbury.

The tower at Sterling Industrial Estate is.

Anyway this would not be the first time this has been done, before becoming a hotel, the Urban Box on the M6 just south of Birmingham did it for years.

+Quote Post
alex
post Oct 14 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 318

Instead of a wrap the building requires a repaint to get a new look and freshness to Newbury laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darren
post Oct 14 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Leave it alone.

It's part of our architectural heritage. A classic example of Brutalist.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Oct 15 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

I agree this building is ugly but so are many others in the area. Usually 1960's throwbacks.

What about the parade of shops in Bartholomew Street that includes Iceland, opposite the now closed Bricklayers Arms?

I think the Telephone Exchange is often awarded the "ugliest building" category because it is the largest of it's example in the vicinity.

I agree that a facelift of the building would help but BT does not now own its exchange buildings - it leases space in them off a holding company.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Oct 15 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Guests

Re. my earlier post.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2399/220002...3b4b994.jpg?v=0

+Quote Post
Branston Pickle
post Oct 15 2009, 04:31 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Oct 15 2009, 12:58 PM) *

I've always rather liked that tower... unsure.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:01 AM