Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sleeping Rough, Increase in numbers?
On the edge
post Dec 1 2012, 11:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

For whatever reason, according to latest NWN report there are over 40 people sleeping rough in Newbury. It seems that the numbers are growing and WBC is looking at what could be done. That will necessarily take some time. So, in the meantime, particularly as the temperature is about to drop, is there anything we could do, even as a temporary emergency measure to alleviate this problem? Say an empty unit somewhere near the town centre that could house this number, even on a communal arrangement, on a just drop in no questions asked basis?

This isn't trying to work out reasons, or longer term solutions - simply to create a safety net, even if only for the winter.

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Dec 2 2012, 12:17 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

QUOTE (On the edge @ Dec 1 2012, 11:17 PM) *
For whatever reason, according to latest NWN report there are over 40 people sleeping rough in Newbury. It seems that the numbers are growing and WBC is looking at what could be done. That will necessarily take some time. So, in the meantime, particularly as the temperature is about to drop, is there anything we could do, even as a temporary emergency measure to alleviate this problem? Say an empty unit somewhere near the town centre that could house this number, even on a communal arrangement, on a just drop in no questions asked basis?

This isn't trying to work out reasons, or longer term solutions - simply to create a safety net, even if only for the winter.

There's lots of empty office space, (most of it WBC) I'm sure something could be worked out, why dont we ask RG or even our local green party activist to do something instead of them just trotting out the odd post now and again. Let's see some positive action.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Dec 2 2012, 06:49 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The crematorium would be nice and warm this time of year. So much heat going to waste

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 2 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (spartacus @ Dec 2 2012, 06:49 AM) *
The crematorium would be nice and warm this time of year. So much heat going to waste

Tasteless comment of the week.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 2 2012, 10:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Penelope @ Dec 2 2012, 12:17 AM) *
There's lots of empty office space, (most of it WBC) I'm sure something could be worked out, why dont we ask RG or even our local green party activist to do something instead of them just trotting out the odd post now and again. Let's see some positive action.

I was on the streets since noon yesterday, raising awareness of the increase in homelessness. I spent some time last week researching the issue and have met around 20 rough sleepers. I've asked for an empty building to be used over the next few months to provide shelter, and I met some great contacts whilst out on the street and hope that we can pull of the different resources together to come up with a plan to try and help these people.

I raised 125.30 in donations, and when speaking to Cllr Martha Vickers, it was suggested I give that money to an organisation called loose ends. Thank you to everyone who donated via my website or on the street, it was certainly an experience that I won't forget.

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Dec 2 2012, 10:12 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 2 2012, 10:08 AM) *
I was on the streets since noon yesterday, raising awareness of the increase in homelessness. I spent some time last week researching the issue and have met around 20 rough sleepers. I've asked for an empty building to be used over the next few months to provide shelter, and I met some great contacts whilst out on the street and hope that we can pull of the different resources together to come up with a plan to try and help these people.

I raised 125.30 in donations, and when speaking to Cllr Martha Vickers, it was suggested I give that money to an organisation called loose ends. Thank you to everyone who donated via my website or on the street, it was certainly an experience that I won't forget.

Well done Richard, thank you. You may ( by that one action) have gained my vote for labour at the next election. Well done. Now let's hear what the others have done.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2012, 10:22 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Penelope @ Dec 2 2012, 10:12 AM) *
Well done Richard, thank you. You may ( by that one action) have gained my vote for labour at the next election. Well done. Now let's hear what the others have done.

Given the opportunity, so will I, although I have to say there are parts of his politics I disagree with, but he makes a refreshing change from the middle class councillors we currently have. He certainly seems more hard working than the others.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Dec 2 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

Do I detect a staged question and answer. ROFL.

Always good to take part and do something about this. Reading has a far more serious problem that I've been helping to tackle for many years. It's a difficult one to solve as funding for many of the shelters has dried up and few people are putting hands into pockets to donate. The news that the rates in Newbury have gone up is not good news and a sign of the economic times - 'austerity' has only accelerated the problem.

A fair housing solution is the only thing that will help here, but that's a long term goal and not something that can be done immediately. Tackling empty homes has been a great success for the Greens in Oxford, but again these take time to renovate or make available. The council is likely to have a stock of empty office buildings that could be quickly converted to provide some support. If safe space can be found, there are good temporary housing solutions and perhaps people with enough space to offer out a room; but both of these carry risk for both parties.

There is another homeless carol service this year in Reading, 13 Dec at 6pm in the Minster. It was good last year and funds raised go to the homeless. Can't find any reference of anyone in Newbury running a similar thing, perhaps someone reading the post is able to organise?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2012, 10:55 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

It seems your interest is more about Reading than Newbury. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 2 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 2 2012, 10:55 AM) *

And what the other towns Green's are doing - standard political answer when asked a relevant question - our party is dedicated to.....blah blah blah! angry.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Dec 2 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 2 2012, 11:02 AM) *
And what the other towns Green's are doing - standard political answer when asked a relevant question - our party is dedicated to.....blah blah blah! angry.gif

I suspect that the current crop of homeless do not want funds or indeed "a fair housing solution" what they need is shelter from the cold and a full belly. You cant 'solve' the homeless problem but you can stop people dying on the street. Oh, and as for some "staged question and answer". I just like to see those who would like to woo the voter with honeyed words actually stand up and be counted.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 2 2012, 11:22 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I think Richards "stunt" was exactly that, anything for a bit of publicity, BUT he raised £125 so well done mate. I am torn over whether or not to vote for you, regardless of your motives, you do seem to do what you say you are going to. I am surprised that there are forty people sleeping rough in Newbury every night though , is that really an accurate figure?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Yes, that might be true regards a 'stunt', but he'd be damned if he did and if he didn't. I'd like to think that he might help to stir the 'safe seat' councillors though.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 2 2012, 11:33 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't think he would have been damned if he didn't. Like I say, I think his reasons are a little cynical, but aren't all politicians actions? At least he follows through, which I have to say is a quality in Richard i rather like.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 2 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 2 2012, 11:33 AM) *
I don't think he would have been damned if he didn't. Like I say, I think his reasons are a little cynical, but aren't all politicians actions? At least he follows through, which I have to say is a quality in Richard i rather like.

Adrian Hollister, and others, are already being damned for their apparent inactivity in dealing with issues in Newbury, so I have to disagree.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 2 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Dec 2 2012, 11:02 AM) *

At least he did not use the term 'difficult decision' which is my pet hate.

+Quote Post
Adrian Hollister
post Dec 2 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 613

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 2 2012, 10:55 AM) *

Used to work there, so I helped out where I can. It's never been a huge problem in West Berkshire (Newbury is only one part of West Berkshire remember). Perhaps you should be wondering how these people got into this situation and why the support was taken away?

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Dec 2 2012, 01:43 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Dec 2 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Used to work there, so I helped out where I can. It's never been a huge problem in West Berkshire (Newbury is only one part of West Berkshire remember). Perhaps you should be wondering how these people got into this situation and why the support was taken away?

Perhaps it would be better to know why we have homeless people who have nowhere to go except sleeping rough in this modern society of ours!

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Dec 2 2012, 02:17 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

What is the definition of 'sleeping rough'? Mine is shop doorways, park benches etc. Thus far I have not seen any....

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 2 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (Adrian Hollister @ Dec 2 2012, 01:23 PM) *
Perhaps you should be wondering how these people got into this situation and why the support was taken away?

That is a thought we might ponder. I don't know the answer but these persons have obviously drifted into a downward spiral. They all presumably get financial support from central government in benefits, has that changed?. The effect of alcohol and perhaps drug addiction has not helped I am sure but it is difficult for them to exist without it once they have got below the threshold.

Has the unit at the top of the Newtown Hill closed. It was known as the 'Spike' but it did provide shelter, a change of clothes, a bath and bed for the night for those that needed it. Because it had fairly strict rules, no alcohol etc it didn't suit some but that's the rub. Without resolving the source of the problem, it is difficult to help.

Personally, I wouldn't know what to do to resolve their problems should they wish to be helped. Collecting a few quid and sleeping out one night although I applaud the effort, will not do it. I'm not sure that providing an empty building will do it either.

We have a major problem where jobs are becoming scarcer and the chance of becoming one of the homeless is becoming closer for many of us. Should we as an authority, build an accomodation block in the area, close to town with say fifty or so one room apartments and communal recreation facilities for short term rental. We seem to be able to provide comfortable facilities for offenders at the back of Greenham Common so why not for the unfortunate in the West Berks area.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:56 AM