> Cars v Bicycles, Inconsiderate Motorists
Biker1
post Sep 1 2011, 07:37 AM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (oldharry @ Aug 31 2011, 11:27 AM) *
There seems to be a fault on this forum's software - it removed the word 'motor' from before 'cyclists' in your post.

Motorcyclists immune from the law???? laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
cornflake
post Sep 1 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,243

I was on my scooter going up the greenham hill (Pyle Hill?) and a cyclist came off the pavement right into the road and not near the the pavement either, came right out into the road at a speed which surprised me without even looking, on my tiny little scooter I had to take evasive action and it was a good job I had clocked the cyclist anyway otherwise I may have actually collided!
I was so surprised that the cyclist didn't even LOOK to see if anything was coming (I don't expect them to signal anymore). The pavement hadn't run out so I couldn't see any reason for the cyclist to suddenly come onto the road.
If the cyclist had been on the road to start with like they should've been then none of this would have happened but I take some responsibility for this considering I should've been aware that the cyclist might have changed their mind and suddenly hopped onto the road, it's made me think twice about cyclists and about being much more aware of their potential behaviours.

I have little knowledge of cycling profficiency test having done mine over a decade ago now but maybe they should be taught things like the "Lifesaver" and I don't remember anyone telling me the consequences of bad cycling, maybe that should be pointed out as well.

I'm just so shocked at this cyclist's complete disregard for anything! Themselves, myself, another cyclist wouldn't have stood a chance. There WOULD have been a collision and if there was a car behind them then it could've been a very bad accident.

I say cyclists aren't the problem, it is the individual attitudes that are.

+Quote Post
RedDevil
post Sep 1 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 306

I don't normally have any problems with individual cyclists, but agree that in a group their attitude seems to change. Riding 2, 3 or 4 abreast on the road with no apparent realisation what effect there is on other road users for example. Having said that, 20 cyclists in a long trail on a road is just as difficult to negotiate as a driver, unless you have a nice straight road and no oncoming traffic!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 2 2011, 03:04 PM
Post #44

Guests

QUOTE (oldharry @ Aug 31 2011, 10:27 AM) *
There seems to be a fault on this forum's software - it removed the word 'motor' from before 'cyclists' in your post.

Hopefully that's not a dig at motorcyclists...which is all that seems to happen on this forum?? Most motorcyclists are better road users than the cagers, and while there are a few bad apples, certainly percentage wise, there are more bad car drivers than bad bikers. Most of the bumf about these bad bikers are because they use their small size and power to get to where they want to go more quickly. Nothing wrong with zipping inbetween cars so long as there is space..

The only reason you'd pick up on bad bikers more is because there are fewer of them, thus easier to single out and rant to the Daily Mail about.

The issue I have with bicyclists is that by and large, most are fine, but there are few (a not insignificant minority) who think that it's OK to ride 2 and 3 abreast. It's not.

Then it is followed by people who think it's OK to ride at night, in the middle of the road, wobbling around, without any form of reflective clothing or lights. And you can forget about the reflectors, those weren't there either. I was driving home after a drive and near Shaw, some hoodlum did just that. Came belting out of a path and onto the road. I was stuck behind him as he wobbled about. I then had to go COMPLETELY on the other side of the road (as he was in the middle of my lane) to go round him, at which point he decided to ride around in my blind spot, weaving from side to side. He was hardly visible!! Had I of had to brake suddenly or turn right he'd smashed into my car. I care nothing for his well-being however I do care for the pristine condition of my car. But who would have been at fault? Probably me.

That is far from the only time I've been witness to selfish bicyclists. They are always complaining, saying how they are not given respect on the roads, yet they do not pay for the right to be there, nor do they have any sort of training, and neither do they have any kind of test for the road worthiness of some of these bikes. Whats more they don't have any form of insurance.....!!!

To my delight, I saw a couple of riders, who were riding two abreast on the A4 near Crown Mead, who had no lights on their bikes - and a traffic car pulled them up on it. Good to see.

I should reaffirm I have no problem with bicyclists who respect the roads, who have suitable clothing, who actually obey red lights, etc.

And equally as my opening point with motorcyclists, I know that that is not the same for all and there are a few bad apples, and there are many who are bicycling roll models.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Sep 2 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (oldharry @ Aug 31 2011, 11:27 AM) *

1st. Question. Are you a drinking buddy of Brewmaster perchance !
2nd. Question. Would you care to elaborate on your statement !

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 2 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I'm with Old Harry. There's only one reason people buy motorcycles and that is for a cheap thrill. They ignore speed limits slip inside you when traffic is moving at a decent speed, and expect everyone else on the road to be on the constant look out for them. They have as much right as anyone to be there of course but I do think they seem to have an air of superiority about them. In the most part.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 3 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #47

Guests

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 2 2011, 10:18 PM) *
I'm with Old Harry. There's only one reason people buy motorcycles and that is for a cheap thrill. They ignore speed limits slip inside you when traffic is moving at a decent speed, and expect everyone else on the road to be on the constant look out for them. They have as much right as anyone to be there of course but I do think they seem to have an air of superiority about them. In the most part.

If that's how you feel.

I buy a motorcycle because I like the feeling of it. It's not really cheap, £10k for a bicycle with an engine is alot to invest, especially if you are as young as some people (like me). Whether it costs £1k, £10k or £100k, the reason for purchasing bikes is not for anyone to guess about. Other benefits include a feeling of freedom, wind in your helmet, excitment, lower depreciation come resale time (bikes hold their money alot better than cars), cheap insurance, and good fuel economy especially when you consider the performance on offer.

I ignore speed limits, yes - But by happy coincidence I ignore them in my car as well. I stick to 30's with absolutely no leeway, and the same with most 40's (built up areas). Anyone who says they stick to all speed limits is lying because that simply doesn't happen any more.

However 50's and Nationals I will ride at a speed which is safe to travel at. Normally this comes to about 60 or 70 either way. Motorways, like most people I think 80mph is perfectly safe. The same speed I travel on my bike on a motorway.

Please note that a safe speed and speed limit are rarely the same thing. The difference is that on my bike I can go from 30mph to 70mph in about 2 seconds. Thus if there's a space which I can fit through without endangering another road user, I will bloomin' well take it. That includes undertaking the old biddy who's doing 35 up the link, in the outside lane, halfway up it.

We expect everyone to look out for us BECAUSE WE ARE A TARGET. People are lazy on the road and don't look properly. A bike takes up less than 1/10th the road space of a car and is then, probably, 10 times less likely to be seen. And then some numpty pulls out infront of us. Laws of physics stop us from braking so hard, so even though a set of 4 piston radially mounted twin 320mm discs could stop me from 30 to 0 in about 10 ft, the weight transfer is so great that it would flip the rear over the front. Neither can you brake (meaningfully) while turning, another thing 90% of car drivers don't understand. So if you pull out on us, we can either attempt to stop, OR steer around you. We cannot steer and stop.

Unless you ride a bike, you wouldn't ever know. I'd challenge anyone to ride a motorcycle for a week and come back and say we're all wingers, selfish thrill seekers. Before you come back saying that I'm an idiot and how I disregard the roads, blah blah blah, I have done an array of advanced tuition sessions with RoSPA/IAM gaining certifications, and not one person has said I rode OR drove with disregard. I am not perfect and yes, I have more than my fair share of "DOH" moments but by and large I try to be very considerate for anothers around me on the road.

But if it makes you feel any better, I currently don't have a bike - as I bought it to buy a car (needed a diesel for work)...from which I play loud music from, some of which involves that rhythmic speaking.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 3 2011, 07:33 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

QUOTE (HJD @ Sep 2 2011, 06:56 PM) *
1st. Question. Are you a drinking buddy of Brewmaster perchance !
2nd. Question. Would you care to elaborate on your statement !

Don't worry about it.

the only time he posts on here is in a wind up attempt at motorcyclists.
He then sits back and waits for the fireworks! wink.gif
(This was, was it not, a thread about cars & bicycles?)

+Quote Post
HJD
post Sep 3 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #49

Advanced Member

I'm all for having a thrill or two especially at my age, but motorbikes certainly don't come cheap & i would certainly draw the line at slipping inside you in moving traffic thank you very much. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
oldharry
post Sep 4 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 877

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 2 2011, 04:04 PM) *
Hopefully that's not a dig at motorcyclists...which is all that seems to happen on this forum?? Most motorcyclists are better road users than the cagers, and while there are a few bad apples, certainly percentage wise, there are more bad car drivers than bad bikers. Most of the bumf about these bad bikers are because they use their small size and power to get to where they want to go more quickly. Nothing wrong with zipping inbetween cars so long as there is space..

Anyone who would believe this would believe anything.

Which planet are you from?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 4 2011, 03:36 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

QUOTE (oldharry @ Sep 4 2011, 03:43 PM) *
Anyone who would believe this would believe anything.

Which planet are you from?

Comes up with good counter arguments doesn't he? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 4 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #52

Advanced Member

I'm with Old Harry.

What do you mean?
He hasn't actually stated anything to be with!!
Never does!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Sep 4 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

As usual I sit on the fence on this ,(getting painful as dotage appears on the horizon).

As a teen I was given a Honda 50, I wizzed around Stargroves hoping for a glimpse of Stones.
The only ones I saw was when I went too fast round a bend.
When I got home with bleeding knees and hands I usually got away with blaming a rabbit.
For a spell I rode a BSA Bantam
I still have a full motorcycle DVLA, but never in my wildest mid life crises did I think of doing it again.

I respect Motorcyclists and try and pull over where possible.

Sadly many of the faster bikers come to grief. A load of signs has been put up recently in Norfolk.
"Undercover M/Cycles patrol this road".

Cycling in a group has to be for safety. Wobbling over a storm drain is no fun.

If you are stuck behind a road race type event with yellow jacketed folk. Tough luck.
No worse than a caravanserie.Faster than camels..
ce

+Quote Post
HJD
post Sep 4 2011, 06:17 PM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 4 2011, 04:36 PM) *

I will leave you with the following quote :-

Only a biker understands why a dog hangs his head out of a car window.

( Especially if he's in oldharrys car ) laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Sep 4 2011, 06:19 PM
Post #55

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

I am both a car driver and a cyclist.

A couple of weeks ago, I was cycling back into town when a young lad in his car cut me up and fed me a traffic island. If I could have caught up with him, he would certainly have known about it.

But I get also very irritated with cyclists who think that all traffic signs and signals are only advisory for those on pedal bikes.

I see selfish and bad road behaviour from those in control of cars, motorbikes and pedal bikes.

Rgds

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 4 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #56

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 4 2011, 04:36 PM) *

Fantastic ones!! dry.gif

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Sep 27 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #57

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

I don't usually drive through town at the end of a working day but last night at 17.10 I did and was quite surprised to see not one but four cyclists having complete disregard for any other person whether on foot or in a car and all within the space of 3 minutes !!.

I was sat at the lights outside Fat Face and the first cyclist came up Mansion House Street and went straight across down West Mills. Now forgive me for questioning this but (i) he was going the wrong way up a one way street (ii) he did not look either way either left where I was or right to the traffic coming over the bridge to see if it was safe to do so.

The second incident a cyclist came up my left hand side and straight through the red light and so was cycling against the traffic coming over the bridge. He then met a double decker and so swerved onto the pavement very nearly sending two old ladies flying. How he managed to miss them I don't know.

The lights then changed so I drove over the bridge to be met with my third incident. On getting over the bridge I was met by a bicycle flying out from the canal path by the side of the pasty shop and shooting straight across the road towards the Lockstock & Barrell. Obviously cars going over that bridge are usually closer together than normal due to sitting at traffic lights so I don't know how the man behind me managed not to rear end me due to how sharply I had to break.

My fourth and thankfully final incident was up by McDonalds. I was just about to overtake a cyclist and she decided she was going to cross the road - no signals virtually from left hand side over to the right hand side by APlan. Obviously I am not saying cyclists are not allowed to do this but with no signal and she DID NOT look behind her.

So sorry cyclists you put me at risk twice of (i) being shunted up the back end and (ii) knocking you off and probably seriously hurting you... Honestly it is not always the car driver who is inconsiderate.

Oh and another thing not one of them had a helmet on..

+Quote Post
Blue
post Sep 27 2011, 12:47 PM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,859

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Sep 27 2011, 01:00 PM) *
I don't usually drive through town at the end of a working day but last night at 17.10 I did and was quite surprised to see not one but four cyclists having complete disregard for any other person whether on foot or in a car and all within the space of 3 minutes !!.

I was sat at the lights outside Fat Face and the first cyclist came up Mansion House Street and went straight across down West Mills. Now forgive me for questioning this but (i) he was going the wrong way up a one way street (ii) he did not look either way either left where I was or right to the traffic coming over the bridge to see if it was safe to do so.

The second incident a cyclist came up my left hand side and straight through the red light and so was cycling against the traffic coming over the bridge. He then met a double decker and so swerved onto the pavement very nearly sending two old ladies flying. How he managed to miss them I don't know.

The lights then changed so I drove over the bridge to be met with my third incident. On getting over the bridge I was met by a bicycle flying out from the canal path by the side of the pasty shop and shooting straight across the road towards the Lockstock & Barrell. Obviously cars going over that bridge are usually closer together than normal due to sitting at traffic lights so I don't know how the man behind me managed not to rear end me due to how sharply I had to break.

My fourth and thankfully final incident was up by McDonalds. I was just about to overtake a cyclist and she decided she was going to cross the road - no signals virtually from left hand side over to the right hand side by APlan. Obviously I am not saying cyclists are not allowed to do this but with no signal and she DID NOT look behind her.

So sorry cyclists you put me at risk twice of (i) being shunted up the back end and (ii) knocking you off and probably seriously hurting you... Honestly it is not always the car driver who is inconsiderate.

Oh and another thing not one of them had a helmet on..

Well said!

Cyclists jumping traffic lights, cycling towards pedestrians on pavements, riding the wrong way up one-way streets, changing direction without warning and crossing roads without due care and attention are a danger to others and themselves and these dangerous, thoughtless activities are, as you pointed out, worryingly commonplace around here.

+Quote Post
Roost
post Sep 27 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #59

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (Blue @ Sep 27 2011, 01:47 PM) *
Well said!

Cyclists jumping traffic lights, cycling towards pedestrians on pavements, riding the wrong way up one-way streets, changing direction without warning and crossing roads without due care and attention are a danger to others and themselves and these dangerous, thoughtless activities are, as you pointed out, worryingly commonplace around here.

Unfortunately I don't think that Newbury has the monopoly on careless / dangerous cyclists!!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Blue
post Sep 27 2011, 03:33 PM
Post #60

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,859

QUOTE (Roost @ Sep 27 2011, 02:41 PM) *
Unfortunately I don't think that Newbury has the monopoly on careless / dangerous cyclists!!

Probably not, so the issue needs dealing with on a national basis then, though how this is done I do not know........

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:21 PM