Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Human Rights
TallDarkAndHands...
post Feb 16 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 60

I see that Sex Offenders want their names removed from the Sex Offenders register because it 'infringes' their human rights.

Why are we even considering spending money on legal cases like this? Does anybody in their right mind agree that they should be even given the opportunity of having there names removed???

Its getting almost bizarre this Human Rights stuff. I think I'll turn into an Axe Killer. Its my Human Right to Axe people to death. I want to Axe at least 5 people to death I dislike a year. And if you don't let me it infringes my Human Rights and I'll sue..... blink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 16 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 16 2011, 10:09 AM) *
I see that Sex Offenders want their names removed from the Sex Offenders register because it 'infringes' their human rights.

Why are we even considering spending money on legal cases like this? Does anybody in their right mind agree that they should be even given the opportunity of having there names removed???

Its getting almost bizarre this Human Rights stuff. I think I'll turn into an Axe Killer. Its my Human Right to Axe people to death. I want to Axe at least 5 people to death I dislike a year. And if you don't let me it infringes my Human Rights and I'll sue..... blink.gif

I think that they could be removed from the Sex offenders list providing that they agree to being castrated. Other than that I see no benefit to society for these animals to be able to hide away and have a second opportunity to commit the crime again.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 16 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Feb 16 2011, 11:09 AM) *

I expect some will agree that it is their "human right".

As has been said before, and is the way most people think - some seem to confuse the human rights of criminals with the human rights of innocent people. (Or victims).

In this particular case what matters most - the human rights of the criminal, or the human rights of their victims that they should be named so that the likelihood of them repeating their crime is reduced.

In short, the problem with giving certain sectors of society human rights (i.e. criminals) to my mind infringes the human rights of others (i.e. their victims).
Whose human rights are more deserved and important?
I think we all know the answer.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 16 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Feb 16 2011, 11:24 AM) *
I think that they could be removed from the Sex offenders list providing that they agree to being castrated.

With or without anaesthetic? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2011, 10:49 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

The actual argument is that it is against people's human rights to have no appeal process in law, as is the case with 'serious' sex offenders. My view is a 'serious' sex offender is unlikely to be 'cured' and the removal from the register should only be considered IF in the future, we find some way of being certain they would not re-offend. If this case is pursued, lets hope that the appeal process is sufficiently robust to maintain the public's trust, if there is any. I also think the Human Rights Act needs some redefining.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Feb 16 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 16 2011, 10:49 AM) *
I also think the Human Rights Act needs some redefining.

+1

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 16 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 16 2011, 10:32 AM) *
I expect some will agree that it is their "human right".

As has been said before, and is the way most people think - some seem to confuse the human rights of criminals with the human rights of innocent people. (Or victims).

In this particular case what matters most - the human rights of the criminal, or the human rights of their victims that they should be named so that the likelihood of them repeating their crime is reduced.

In short, the problem with giving certain sectors of society human rights (i.e. criminals) to my mind infringes the human rights of others (i.e. their victims).
Whose human rights are more deserved and important?
I think we all know the answer.

Spot on Biker1

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Feb 16 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 16 2011, 10:33 AM) *
With or without anaesthetic? wink.gif

Personally I would use a couple of house bricks.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 16 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Feb 16 2011, 01:00 PM) *
Personally I would use a couple of house bricks.

Just mind your thumbs when you do it! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Simon
post Feb 16 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18

I think that if convicted of a crime and go to prison then you should lose your human rights whilst in prison.

If convicted of a serious crime then you should lose your human rights full stop!!!

Maybe that would put people off committing crime

--------------------
If I ruled the world.......

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 16 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I see that Sex Offenders want their names removed from the Sex Offenders register

Maybe they do, but the right of appeal is something being imposed on this country by the European Court of Human Rights.

In the Home Secretary's statement in the House today, she said that the government would do the absolute minimum necessary to comply with the ruling. In fact, they are additionally going to close several loopholes in current legislation, so the whole thing may backfire.

There will be no right of appeal until 15 years after any sentence has been completed. There will not be an automatic appeal (as the Scots have legislated), and if an appeal is allowed, the final decision will rest with the police, not the courts.

So I don't foresee any easy ride for appellants.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 16 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Isn't this meant for sex offenders such as a 16 year old bloke who's caught having sex with his 15 year old girlfriend?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

I suspect not because I don't think that is classed as a 'serious' sex offence. Anyway, this is concerning people who have been imprisoned for more than 30 months for a sex offence.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 16 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 16 2011, 10:49 AM) *
The actual argument is that it is against people's human rights to have no appeal process in law, as is the case with 'serious' sex offenders. My view is a 'serious' sex offender is unlikely to be 'cured' and the removal from the register should only be considered IF in the future, we find some way of being certain they would not re-offend. If this case is pursued, lets hope that the appeal process is sufficiently robust to maintain the public's trust, if there is any. I also think the Human Rights Act needs some redefining.

A well made point.

However, I don't see what the problem is with the HRA. The relevent Article is

Article 8 Right to respect for private and family life

1 Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

2 There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

and that seems like a reasonable minimum standard in a civilised society.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 16 2011, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 16 2011, 01:19 PM) *
something being imposed on this country by the European Court of Human Rights.

I misheard. It seems it was our own Supreme Court.

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 16 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Feb 16 2011, 06:23 PM) *
I suspect not because I don't think that is classed as a 'serious' sex offence. Anyway, this is concerning people who have been imprisoned for more than 30 months for a sex offence.
Radio 4 must have got it incorrect this morning then.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

The BBC news says:

Only individuals sentenced to more than 30 months for a sex-related crime are required to register with police for life. It is estimated that about 24,000 sex offenders who were required to register for life, including paedophiles and rapists, could be affected by the ruling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12476979

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Feb 16 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (JeffG @ Feb 16 2011, 01:19 PM) *
Maybe they do, but the right of appeal is something being imposed on this country by the European Court of Human Rights.

Much as we would no doubt like to, we can't blame the ECHR for this one. The ruling came from the Supreme Court in London

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Feb 16 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Feb 16 2011, 10:17 PM) *
Much as we would no doubt like to, we can't blame the ECHR for this one. The ruling came from the Supreme Court in London

As I subsequently corrected myself in post #15.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Feb 16 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Feb 16 2011, 10:17 PM) *

But wasn't the ruling based on the Human Rights Act?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:01 PM