5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strike Action
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 30 2011, 05:21 PM
Post #41

Guests

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 30 2011, 02:13 PM) *
So shopworkers, train drivers, etc. etc who work in the private sector and serve the public should have their right to strike removed?

No, but their actions should be considerate. If all the train drivers go on strike 30% of the population will be UNABLE to get to work, harming the economy, even for one day that can be millions of pounds of lost revenue, let alone a likely loss of income for those unable to get in to work. All because they want a 2% payrise of moaning about their pension or something.

Striking is a legal way of temporarily refusing to do your job - and is quite rightly exempt from disciplinary proceedures.

So I could just go "I feel like temporarily refusing to do my job". And use that an excuse? Ok, so if I'm unhappy with an aspect of my job I could just "strike"? No, I couldn't. I have responsibilities and my terms of employment were made clear in various documentations, etc. I am unhappy with SOME aspects of my job, and things I will be discussing at reviews, or in a quiet email or chat at lunch, not by standing there with a sign saying "WE WON'T WORK"

So why on earth don't you get a job as a teacher?

I hate children, or would end up kidnapping them and running away.

Surely the best time to strike is when it has an effect?

Striking has an effect at any time. What is selfish is to do it during key areas, towards ends of terms when students have exams after the Christmas break, during the run up to Christmas where households produce extra waste, etc...

Ever thought why there are more in the private sector paying high tax? Hint - it's because they get paid higher wages.

Irrelevant; the point is that it's selfish of these people to strike.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 30 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 103

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 30 2011, 07:17 PM) *
Our bins were emptied today. There should be no disruption.

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 30 2011, 07:19 PM) *
Mine was collected today.

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 30 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #43

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Reply to Tall dark and Handsome.

I never inhaled.
The story of Uncle Eric is in Times online.
Vote rigging. 1960s
ce

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Nov 30 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

[quote name='user23' date='Nov 30 2011, 05:17 PM' post='51296']
You think all teachers on strike today should resign?

This would mean that most schools would be closed for quite a length of time, and some permanently given it would be impossible to find tens of thousands of new teachers to fill their jobs.

By the way, "ganging up" in the past gained most of us

==========================================================

Lets pat them all on the back then because we're all going to get a pay rise and a better pension out of this. Thank you.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Nov 30 2011, 07:39 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ Nov 30 2011, 05:17 PM) *
By the way, "ganging up" in the past gained most of us

• Two-day weekends

Well, on the one occasion I signed on when advised to do so after being made redundant, the Job Centre people hadn't heard of this. I had to say I was available Monday-Saturday or no benefit. (Actually, I never did get any money back from the government from all my years paying taxes, because I found employment again a few days before the waiting period expired!)

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Nov 30 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Nov 30 2011, 05:52 PM) *
Reply to Tall dark and Handsome.

I never inhaled.
The story of Uncle Eric is in Times online.
Vote rigging. 1960s
ce

Frank Chapple era? Eric Hammond?

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Nov 30 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Nov 30 2011, 01:44 PM) *
I mean what the heck, teachers get 8-10 weeks holiday, most rock up at 8:30 and go home at 4, are paid £25k or so a year (so more than the average salary, I know some teachers on £30k+ after a couple of years) for saying the same thing 4 or 5 times a day to different groups of pepole at different levels based on their age.. They learn one thing and then spend all day sharing their knowledge...it's not a "hard" job.

I am afraid that this is a load of mis-guided, mis-infromed rubbish.

And no, I am not a teacher but I do work in a school.

+Quote Post
HeatherW
post Nov 30 2011, 08:55 PM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 988

There are a lot of us in the private sector that do not get as much as those that work for the government. We all have to cut back so this strike is disgusting. They should be thanking their lucky stars they have still got jobs.

Maybe if those strikers stood up in the first place and questioned the Labour governments continuous giving of bloody money to those that were their strongest supporters then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 1 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #49

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (HeatherW @ Nov 30 2011, 08:55 PM) *
There are a lot of us in the private sector that do not get as much as those that work for the government. We all have to cut back so this strike is disgusting. They should be thanking their lucky stars they have still got jobs.

Maybe if those strikers stood up in the first place and questioned the Labour governments continuous giving of bloody money to those that were their strongest supporters then maybe we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

In 2007, Labour actually reformed public pension quite significantly. That scheme is still financially viable. The current government is driven by deficit reduction and is trying to make money everywhere it can, rightly or wrongly depending on what each person believes. In my opinion, the Government have not proved the case for what they are doing with pensions and they are refusing to negotiate. Everybody should be at the table trying to fix this mess, but nothing will be agreed until the coalition commit to proper talks and are prepared to adjust their position.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 1 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #50

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Quite agree - but we need to have the detail without the inflamatory wrap. Like the suggestion that the public penisons are paid out of the rates. Yes they are but arguably, that's simply because the Government have borrowed the pension pot to spend on other things. Actually, to some extent in exactly the same way that Robert Maxwell raided the MGN pension fund.

The other problem is that in the past, the pension schemes (on both sides of the divide) were raided in the 80s and 90s to pay off 'redundant' workers. That did get rather silly on the public side of the fence, where it became institutionalised. There are even local examples of senior teachers leaving on good pensions at just touching 50, and executives exiting with the same, only to come back in similar senior jobs with an 'agency'.

Public sector is suffering from that legacy which was really down to weak management and direction. A lesson for the future perhaps

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 1 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 1 2011, 08:25 AM) *
In 2007, Labour actually reformed public pension quite significantly. That scheme is still financially viable. The current government is driven by deficit reduction and is trying to make money everywhere it can, rightly or wrongly depending on what each person believes. In my opinion, the Government have not proved the case for what they are doing with pensions and they are refusing to negotiate. Everybody should be at the table trying to fix this mess, but nothing will be agreed until the coalition commit to proper talks and are prepared to adjust their position.

You seem to be out of touch with what is happening.
Talks between the Goverment and Unions begin again today. But you knew that didn't you?

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Dec 1 2011, 09:21 AM
Post #52

Guests

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Nov 30 2011, 08:55 PM) *
I am afraid that this is a load of mis-guided, mis-infromed rubbish.

And no, I am not a teacher but I do work in a school.

Well I know a friend who is a teacher (History) and he is on £28k a year, he's 25. Gets equivalent to 7 and a half weeks holiday and he is at home by 5:30 without fail every night (apparently) unless it's exams. He loves it.

I'm also good mates with someone who works as a tech support guy in a school and he is always on holiday, every half term he has off and again he earns more than I do.

So no, it's not misguided or misinformed. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2011, 09:59 AM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 1 2011, 09:16 AM) *
You seem to be out of touch with what is happening.
Talks between the Goverment and Unions begin again today. But you knew that didn't you?

I'm not pro strike, but I noticed what appears to be a cleaver use of words from the Tories here. They use the word 'discussions', rather than 'negotiations'. If so, then yes, talks do continue, but whether they are 'negotiations', is another matter.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 1 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #54

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 1 2011, 09:59 AM) *
I'm not pro strike, but I noticed what appears to be a cleaver use of words from the Tories here. They use the word 'discussions', rather than 'negotiations'. If so, then yes, talks do continue, but whether they are 'negotiations', is another matter.

Mr Garvie refers to "talks". So did I.
Who knows what the reality and intentions of both sides is at this time.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2011, 10:11 AM
Post #55

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 1 2011, 10:04 AM) *
Mr Garvie refers to "talks". So did I. Who knows what the reality and intentions of both sides is at this time.

I think 'talks' and 'discussions' are synonyms, but subtly different than 'negotiations'. It seemed as though they were purposely choosing their words. Saying that, I think the strike at the moment was 'mistimed', notwithstanding I think we need to get the public sector bill down. Greece anyone?

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 1 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 1 2011, 10:11 AM) *
I think 'talks' and 'discussions' are synonyms, but subtly different than 'negotiations'. It seemed as though they were purposely choosing their words. Saying that, I think the strike at the moment was 'mistimed', notwithstanding I think we need to get the public sector bill down. Greece anyone?

The choice of "weasel" words is prolific in political circles and the truth is often avoided if it does not support the argument being made.
I to think the strike was mistimed however I also think it ill conceived. Puplic sector workers are not the only group suffering neither are they a special case. They need to step back and realise that the world is in an economic mess and they like the rest of us will need to make sacrifices.
Saying that I also think it unacceptable that the banks are paying out huge bonuses and that senior management staff in both the private and public sector are benefiting from extravagant wages and salary increases.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 1 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #57

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Dec 1 2011, 10:23 AM) *
Saying that I also think it unacceptable that the banks are paying out huge bonuses and that senior management staff in both the private and public sector are benefiting from extravagant wages and salary increases.

I agree, but I cannot think of a solution to that which is workable, and wouldn't simply 'slit out throat to spite our face'. Shareholders need to take responsibilities, they are the ones that are not doing their 'job'.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 1 2011, 10:40 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 1 2011, 08:25 AM) *

What I actually said. Ends with "Everybody should be at the table trying to fix this mess, but nothing will be agreed until the coalition commit to proper talks and are prepared to adjust their position."

They can have all the discussions they like, but unless they are prepared to adjust their position, this will run and run. I'm not a fan of strikes, but when teachers have even gone on strike, you know something is up.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Dec 1 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #59

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 1 2011, 10:40 AM) *
What I actually said. Ends with "Everybody should be at the table trying to fix this mess, but nothing will be agreed until the coalition commit to proper talks and are prepared to adjust their position."

They can have all the discussions they like, but unless they are prepared to adjust their position, this will run and run. I'm not a fan of strikes, but when teachers have even gone on strike, you know something is up.

You know there are a great many people who feel that it is the public sector workers and the unions who should be adjusting thier position. Particularly in the present economic climate.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
OldNewburian
post Dec 1 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 8,341

Interestingly the pole on the Newbury Today home page doesn't appear to reflect the views expressed here!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:51 PM