Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strike Action
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 29 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #21

Guests

Both a mixture of sadness and hilarity in your above post, an interesting read.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
part time
post Nov 30 2011, 09:04 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 171

Got a lovely day for it haven't they!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 30 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (part time @ Nov 30 2011, 09:04 AM) *
Got a lovely day for it haven't they!

Yep. Some I know are playing Golf. They don't want to waste the day on the picket line.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 30 2011, 09:45 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 30 2011, 09:37 AM) *
Yep. Some I know are playing Golf. They don't want to waste the day on the picket line.

It is probably difficult to tell whether they are on strike or not in some cases. wink.gif

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 30 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #25

Guests

How about "if you strike in the public sector you lose your job".

Seems fair since the world cannot accommodate their every whim. They get a matched contribution of their pension so they are getting x % free money, the selfish gits need to shut their face.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 30 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Nov 30 2011, 10:19 AM) *

Seems fair since the world cannot accommodate their every whim. They get a matched contribution of their pension so they are getting x % free money, the selfish gits need to shut their face.

Fundamentally they have chosen the wrong time to Strike. People in the Private sector mostly feel that they are taking the p!$$.

+Quote Post
Bloggo
post Nov 30 2011, 10:35 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 41

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Nov 30 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Fundamentally they have chosen the wrong time to Strike. People in the Private sector mostly feel that they are taking the p!$$.

If public sector workers believe that they are not getting the deal that they want then they should resign and get a job elswhere where they are happy rather than making life very difficult for many other people. This "ganging up" against the rest of us is wrong.

--------------------
Bloggo

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 30 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

What makes the public sector different to the private in terms of rights? Or should no one be allowed to strike?

Most (all?) company pension schemes include an employer's contribution - the problem with the main civil service scheme is that it has never been set up as a pension fund - instead the government has taken all the contributions (notional and real) straight into the Treasury and spent them. If there had been a fund the unions would be unable to argue against change based on affordability - they would be part of the fund management.

All strikes these days seem to be employees attempting to stop their employers taking away something that will leave the employee worse off - selfish if you like, but not that surprising. And the employers almost always win.

Cameron is probably the most pleased about this strike - a chance to gain back a few much needed points in the opinion polls.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Nov 30 2011, 01:44 PM
Post #29

Guests

The terms laid out to them are clear and written in their employment contract. These are teachers, council workers, people who AS PART OF THEIR JOB, serve the public. By striking they are refusing to fufil their duties thus should be eligible for disciplinary procedures. I mean what the heck, teachers get 8-10 weeks holiday, most rock up at 8:30 and go home at 4, are paid £25k or so a year (so more than the average salary, I know some teachers on £30k+ after a couple of years) for saying the same thing 4 or 5 times a day to different groups of pepole at different levels based on their age.. They learn one thing and then spend all day sharing their knowledge...it's not a "hard" job. Childrens education is more important than ever and they are more worried about their precious money and closing schools because they're selfish.

Now I get a day short of 3 weeks holiday, nowhere near £25k and do 9-5:30!! And I'm more qualified than my IT teacher was at school...so..go figure. So many people in the private sector are paid less than those in public and yet we don't moan and complain and strike..

Now I'm not saying they are not allowed to strike. They are, but pick suitable times to do it. Everyone is having to cut back and frankly they have it the best out of anyone; ample holiday, good pay, etc.

I'm saying that their selfishness is second to none at this point. We in the private sector partially pay their wages with our NI contributions and taxes. Yes, they likely pay taxes too and thus contribute to each others wages but there are more in the private sector paying high tax than there are in the public..

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 30 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Nov 30 2011, 01:44 PM) *
The terms laid out to them are clear and written in their employment contract. These are teachers, council workers, people who AS PART OF THEIR JOB, serve the public.

So shopworkers, train drivers, etc. etc who work in the private sector and serve the public should have their right to strike removed?

By striking they are refusing to fufil their duties thus should be eligible for disciplinary procedures.

Striking is a legal way of temporarily refusing to do your job - and is quite rightly exempt from disciplinary proceedures.

I mean what the heck, teachers get 8-10 weeks holiday, most rock up at 8:30 and go home at 4, are paid £25k or so a year (so more than the average salary, I know some teachers on £30k+ after a couple of years) for saying the same thing 4 or 5 times a day to different groups of pepole at different levels based on their age.. They learn one thing and then spend all day sharing their knowledge...it's not a "hard" job. Childrens education is more important than ever and they are more worried about their precious money and closing schools because they're selfish.

Now I get a day short of 3 weeks holiday, nowhere near £25k and do 9-5:30!! And I'm more qualified than my IT teacher was at school...so..go figure. So many people in the private sector are paid less than those in public and yet we don't moan and complain and strike..

So why on earth don't you get a job as a teacher?

Now I'm not saying they are not allowed to strike. They are, but pick suitable times to do it.

Surely the best time to strike is when it has an effect? I suspect that, if this dispute runs on the striking will become a lot more selective - bring out the Inland Revenue or the Cabinet Office, not the teachers or binmen - minimal impact on Joe Public, maximum impact on the Government. A day like today is about demonstrating the breadth of support the unions have.

Everyone is having to cut back and frankly they have it the best out of anyone; ample holiday, good pay, etc.

I'm saying that their selfishness is second to none at this point. We in the private sector partially pay their wages with our NI contributions and taxes. Yes, they likely pay taxes too and thus contribute to each others wages but there are more in the private sector paying high tax than there are in the public..

Ever thought why there are more in the private sector paying high tax? Hint - it's because they get paid higher wages.

+Quote Post
Vodabury
post Nov 30 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,124

QUOTE (blackdog @ Nov 30 2011, 02:13 PM) *
Ever thought why there are more in the private sector paying high tax? Hint - it's because they get paid higher wages.

You are out of date with this comment. Why do some people think all those in the private sector are on higher salaries? - most are not and many private sector workers are on minimum wage or thereabouts.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Nov 30 2011, 03:14 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Are the bins being emptied today?

If not does this put the rest of the week out?
Mine is supposed to be tomorrow.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 30 2011, 03:19 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Nov 30 2011, 03:00 PM) *
You are out of date with this comment. Why do some people think all those in the private sector are on higher salaries? - most are not and many private sector workers are on minimum wage or thereabouts.

Agreed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/ju...-pay-gap-widens

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Nov 30 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

Hey ho ...not have a real reply to the strikes.

A thread on archives. My Uncle was communist
his brother a Telegraph reader.Funny how family works out

You can find the plan to take over the Electricans Union.
They planned to shut everything down. Governmemt as well

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Nov 30 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Nov 30 2011, 04:23 PM) *
Hey ho ...not have a real reply to the strikes.

A thread on archives. My Uncle was communist
his brother a Telegraph reader.Funny how family works out

You can find the plan to take over the Electricans Union.
They planned to shut everything down. Governmemt as well

Huh?

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Nov 30 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (massifheed @ Nov 30 2011, 04:47 PM) *
Huh?

I think its called copious amounts of marijuana....... blink.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 30 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 30 2011, 03:14 PM) *

If not does this put the rest of the week out?
Mine is supposed to be tomorrow.

Our bins were emptied today. There should be no disruption.

+Quote Post
user23
post Nov 30 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Bloggo @ Nov 30 2011, 10:35 AM) *
If public sector workers believe that they are not getting the deal that they want then they should resign and get a job elswhere where they are happy rather than making life very difficult for many other people. This "ganging up" against the rest of us is wrong.
You think all teachers on strike today should resign?

This would mean that most schools would be closed for quite a length of time, and some permanently given it would be impossible to find tens of thousands of new teachers to fill their jobs.

By the way, "ganging up" in the past gained most of us

• Two-day weekends
  • Eight-hour working days
  • Maternity leave
  • Retirement ages
  • Occupational health and safety
  • Workplace pensions
  • Paid holidays
  • Equality laws
  • The right not to be sacked because you got married, had a baby, or became ill
  • Pay increases
  • The minimum wage
  • Collective bargaining

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 30 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Vodabury @ Nov 30 2011, 03:00 PM) *

A great many public sector workers are on low wages too.

Not all private sector workers are on higher wages, not all public servants are on high wages - but people paying the highest rate of tax (the subject of my comment) are far more likely to be in the private sector than the public.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Nov 30 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Nov 30 2011, 03:14 PM) *

Mine was collected today.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 06:16 AM