Reply to this topicStart new topic
> G4S
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 09:35 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 357

This is from an article in Stars and Stripes. Seems G4S has a reputation for taking on contracts they cannot fulfill.

"Six weeks after a new contractor failed to hire enough security guards, U.S. soldiers continue to staff a number of entry gates at military installations in South Korea.

Military officials, however, say they have no plans to sever ties with security firm G4S, even though the company is in violation of its contract. "

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 16 2012, 09:43 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Is the Olympic security fiasco G4S's fault, or did they inform the powers that be that they were having difficulties providing staff who did not act accordingly at an earlier stage?
I am a little confused as to where the blame lies here.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

When do mistakes become incompetence?

G4S lost the keys to Birmingham prison in October. This month they lost 250 tagged prisoner after losing many tagged offenders, some of them sex offenders, a few years ago for the same reason. Last year they lost the deportation contract after a deportee died and another needed to be recusitated. In April they lost a contract with EU parliament through illegal activities in Israel. They have lost prisoner and let prisoners out by mistake and now the Olypics for the same mistakes made in Korea.

As to the timings of when things went wrong that will be down to the inquiry. If I had given a workman several years notice that I wanted a job done on a certain date for a certain period of time and I had paid him, if he then told me he couldn't get manpower just before the job started I would consider him incompetent at best and even fraudulent.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jul 16 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

What I don't get is why can't we get enough people willing to work to earn some money in these roles? We are supposed to have over 3 million umemployed. blink.gif

Is it because a lot of the 3 million unemployed don't want to work or would fail the security checks that would apply in order to obtain such a job? Or is it that the recruitment policy at G4S is hopeless?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 16 2012, 12:04 PM) *
What I don't get is why can't we get enough people willing to work to earn some money in these roles? We are supposed to have over 3 million umemployed. blink.gif

Is it because a lot of the 3 million unemployed don't want to work or would fail the security checks that would apply in order to obtain such a job? Or is it that the recruitment policy at G4S is hopeless?

I have just tried to register an interest. Newbury postcode and willing to travel up to 200 miles for events security on a temp basis. Offered Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds. Pay is £6.80 ph. I think that answers your question.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 16 2012, 11:41 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jul 16 2012, 12:04 PM) *
What I don't get is why can't we get enough people willing to work to earn some money in these roles? We are supposed to have over 3 million unemployed. blink.gif Is it because a lot of the 3 million unemployed don't want to work or would fail the security checks that would apply in order to obtain such a job? Or is it that the recruitment policy at G4S is hopeless?
QUOTE (Jayjay @ Jul 16 2012, 12:25 PM) *
I have just tried to register an interest. Newbury postcode and willing to travel up to 200 miles for events security on a temp basis. Offered Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds. Pay is £6.80 ph. I think that answers your question.

Looks like you were right TDH! tongue.gif

Trying to do short term work makes getting back to where you were hard when you are on benefits, etc.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 16 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

G4S appear to have 9,000 recruits in training and 4,000 ready to go, so the problem wouldn't appear to be a lack of willing candidates but rather G4S's inability to process them in time.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 16 2012, 01:17 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

A poster here is registered as a volunteer steward for the games..(Not Security).
He has no idea where or what he will be tasked. I guess it will be fun to be there.

I never liked running or anything like that
Pretending to be a Spitfire was OK.
ce

+Quote Post
Nothing Much
post Jul 16 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,171

OOOPs ce

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 16 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I'm guessing G4S was Group 4 Security, and is following the trend to reduce everything to initials (like KFC - I'm sure there are others).

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 16 2012, 03:53 PM) *
I'm guessing G4S was Group 4 Security, and is following the trend to reduce everything to initials (like KFC - I'm sure there are others).

Group 4 merged with Securicor in 2004 to form G4S.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 16 2012, 04:02 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Wow! Do you mean it's not been called Group 4 for 8 years? I remember a load of fuss about them carting prisoners around and losing them.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 04:26 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 16 2012, 05:02 PM) *
Wow! Do you mean it's not been called Group 4 for 8 years? I remember a load of fuss about them carting prisoners around and losing them.

Group 4 and Securicor merged in 2004 becoming Group 4 Securicor, in 2009 they changed the logo to G4S.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jul 16 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

This is quickly becoming the funniest thing on television since Monty Python's Flying Circus .
I can't help feeling that if I was of a subversive nature I would take my cause celebre to somewhere a little less cavalier in it's approach to the whole security question. Just imagine the street cred generated by causing disruption at the London Olympics. One would be laughed out of court . laugh.gif
On a serious note though ,how much of this bill is being footed by the British tax payer ?

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 16 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

G4S are at least paying for the military deployment.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Jul 16 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jul 16 2012, 06:20 PM) *
This is quickly becoming the funniest thing on television since Monty Python's Flying Circus .
I can't help feeling that if I was of a subversive nature I would take my cause celebre to somewhere a little less cavalier in it's approach to the whole security question. Just imagine the street cred generated by causing disruption at the London Olympics. One would be laughed out of court . laugh.gif
On a serious note though ,how much of this bill is being footed by the British tax payer ?

The bill for the Police is over 12 million and GS4 received £300M. Add into that the navy for the sailing events and any extra that the forces will be paid for giving up their leave. There is also the cost to local councils - the hour the torch went through Newbury cost £20,000.

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post Jul 16 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

QUOTE (Nothing Much @ Jul 16 2012, 02:17 PM) *
A poster here is registered as a volunteer steward for the games..(Not Security).
He has no idea where or what he will be tasked. ce

As the song says "I was that deck of cards" I was selected after 2 yrs of a selection process. I was eventually picked as a "games Maker" as we are called. I went to an introductory day and to pick up my kit. I was tasked as a meeter and greeter at varying venues. Now comes the crunch. While visiting Thetford forests Go Ape centre on Friday with some of my family I did a bit of damage to my back. Torn tendon, very painful, so now in doubt whether I will be meeting and greeting anyone for a few weeks. This is me a few years ago when I was 65 so
you can see how easy it can be to hurt yourself if things do not go right, it didn't on Friday.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jul 16 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 16 2012, 07:13 PM) *
G4S are at least paying for the military deployment.

That is an impression I have, but I await the detail and the cheque.........

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jul 16 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (NORTHENDER @ Jul 16 2012, 07:54 PM) *
As the song says "I was that deck of cards" I was selected after 2 yrs of a selection process. I was eventually picked as a "games Maker" as we are called. I went to an introductory day and to pick up my kit. I was tasked as a meeter and greeter at varying venues. Now comes the crunch. While visiting Thetford forests Go Ape centre on Friday with some of my family I did a bit of damage to my back. Torn tendon, very painful, so now in doubt whether I will be meeting and greeting anyone for a few weeks. This is me a few years ago when I was 65 so
you can see how easy it can be to hurt yourself if things do not go right, it didn't on Friday.

Go Ape looks fun. I'm sorry you've hurt yourself.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
NORTHENDER
post Jul 16 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,173

Yes its great fun. The death slides through the trees are my favorites. My kids think I am nuts but the grandkids think I am related to Tarzan laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:23 PM