Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HGVs banned from Mill Lane?
spartacus
post Jan 19 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 221

From today's NWN it seems that just 15 residents of Mill Lane are demanding that HGVs are banned from using this access into the Bone Lane industrial estate. This is the only route into the estate from the west. Any delivery vehicle or customer collecting goods would have had to stay on the A339 and add to the already congested route around the Robin Hood and A4 and get in via Hambridge Road if this was to be given approval... An extra 4 miles to the journey, but potentially an extra half hour or more in travel time...

That sort of change has serious consequences for businesses.

How many businesses in the Bone Lane estate would have been affected by this weight limit if it had been approved and how can such a small number of residents be allowed to hold these businesses hostage when the industrial estate has been there so long?

And why is Roger Hunneman getting his knickers in such a twist about this if (as the article implies) the ban isn't brought in? Does he not realise that there could be a serious amount of jobs at stake here in the local economy if a ban was brought in?

Some traders are already teetering on the brink and if they start getting comments that their customers or suppliers find it difficult to get to them they may up sticks and move.

It's all well and good for Roger to say we need an alternative link road, but even if there was a chance of that where is the money going to come from for a road and how long would it take to build? 2 years? 3? and how many businesses would have moved on by then... and how many empty units would there be in the estate...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 19 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

15 houses - that must be almost all of them then!

No great problem really, entering the Hambridge Road / Bone Lane estate from the A4.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 19 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #3

Guests

I do believe you mentioned this before smile.gif

As said in your other thread I work down bone lane and haven't seen a lorry or HGV cause large amounts of congestion, at max 30 seconds.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 19 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 19 2012, 07:10 PM) *
I do believe you mentioned this before smile.gif

I have a vested interest as Mrs Spartacus works for a company in Kennet Side.. I want her carry on working there. There's already quite a few empty business units in the estate, it's hardly going to attract new occupants if they find that access from the 'Newbury side' will be made more difficult than it needs to be.

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 19 2012, 07:10 PM) *
I work down bone lane and haven't seen a lorry or HGV cause large amounts of congestion, at max 30 seconds.

Quite. What's the problem that the residents have apart from a variation of the rules relating to NIMBYism. A lorry past their front garden every half hour is nothing, but if it was all forced to use A339, Robin Hood, A4 Hambridge Road to get in to Kennet Side, or any of the other roads off Bone Lane, then it could make quite a difference to other road users using those roads.

Still, common sense will prevail and this ban will not go ahead eh?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 19 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 19 2012, 07:44 PM) *
A lorry past their front garden every half hour is nothing, but if it was all forced to use A339, Robin Hood, A4 Hambridge Road to get in to Kennet Side, or any of the other roads off Bone Lane, then it could make quite a difference to other road users using those roads.

Eh? One extra truck every half hour? That won't make any difference to the other route......

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 19 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 19 2012, 06:39 PM) *
No great problem really, entering the Hambridge Road / Bone Lane estate from the A4.

It is if you're a business watching your bottom line. Time is money and adding 30 minutes to a supplier's journey to get to your site is going to cost. And have you used Hambridge Rd recently.. It gets a bit full at peak times don't it? Just what you need to add is a few more HGVs..

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 19 2012, 07:52 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 19 2012, 07:47 PM) *
Eh? One extra truck every half hour? That won't make any difference to the other route......

< Puts wet finger in air and gets no response >

Well how many HGVs do you reckon go through Mill Lane? I was trying to make it look like the residents were complaining about nothing.... It's probably one a minute at it's peak. Now THAT would make a difference don't you think?

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 19 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 19 2012, 07:52 PM) *
< Puts wet finger in air and gets no response >

Well how many HGVs do you reckon go through Mill Lane? I was trying to make it look like the residents were complaining about nothing.... It's probably one a minute at it's peak. Now THAT would make a difference don't you think?

You were trying to make out the residents were complaining about nothing & now have to admit it is in fact a truck every 60 seconds?

It will make a difference - we will be able to change the phasing of the lights on the Police roundabout for a start.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 19 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 19 2012, 08:29 PM) *
You were trying to make out the residents were complaining about nothing & now have to admit it is in fact a truck every 60 seconds?

Who do you pander to though? He who squeals loudest even when the number just 15 or the hundred that work in Bone Lane that haven't been asked....

oh, woteva...

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 19 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 19 2012, 08:35 PM) *
Who do you pander to though? He who squeals loudest even when the number just 15 or the hundred that work in Bone Lane that haven't been asked....

oh, woteva...

They could always open up Queen's Road to balance things out.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 20 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jan 19 2012, 08:29 PM) *
we will be able to change the phasing of the lights on the Police roundabout for a start.

And how will you be able to do that?

As said I work down Mill Lane and rarely see HGVs driving down there, the real congestion causes are those bloody parcel vans like DHL and DPD and UPS and I'm sure plenty others with 3 letter acronyms. HGVs aren't the problem really, most of the people who live down that road are probably on benefits anyway as I see loads of chavvy teenages banging on doors and yelling stuff while I'm walking to grab some lunch.

While yes residents have a say in what goes on down their street banning what is mostly HGVs going down their street, mainly (if not nearly exclusively) between the hours of 8 and 6, because outside of this there are not really any deliveries to the businesses down there outside of these hours..so people are moaning about a few trucks in working hours.. get over yourselves really..

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 20 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 20 2012, 12:44 AM) *
...so people are moaning about a few trucks in working hours.. get over yourselves really..

Yes, how dare people moan about things they don't like! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 20 2012, 11:00 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 20 2012, 12:44 AM) *
And how will you be able to do that?

As said I work down Mill Lane and rarely see HGVs driving down there, the real congestion causes are those bloody parcel vans like DHL and DPD and UPS and I'm sure plenty others with 3 letter acronyms. HGVs aren't the problem really, most of the people who live down that road are probably on benefits anyway as I see loads of chavvy teenages banging on doors and yelling stuff while I'm walking to grab some lunch.

While yes residents have a say in what goes on down their street banning what is mostly HGVs going down their street, mainly (if not nearly exclusively) between the hours of 8 and 6, because outside of this there are not really any deliveries to the businesses down there outside of these hours..so people are moaning about a few trucks in working hours.. get over yourselves really..

Spartacus was sayin it was a truck a minute.....

So if it isn't a truck a minute, but very few, banning them isn't a major issue is it?

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 20 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #14

Guests

It's not a truck a minute. I shall prove it.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 20 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #15

Guests

I just stood at our office window for one minute and no HGV vehicles came past.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 20 2012, 11:26 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 20 2012, 11:24 AM) *
I just stood at our office window for one minute and no HGV vehicles came past.

I say ban 'em then. Banning something that hardly ever happens is no big deal.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 20 2012, 11:30 AM
Post #17

Guests

Maybe, but with the deliveries to businesses it might cause trouble. But what do you define as a HGV? A transit van? A 7.5 Ton non artic lorry? Or the full on articulated lorry thingy bob?

There are plenty of vans, maybe 1 a minute is a bit overkill but they are regular and frequent, where as the HGVs (I count a HGV as a bit articulated truck, not the little tiny lorries) are maybe one or two per hour thereabouts. For the record the largest vehicle that came down while I was watching was an LDV Convoy tongue.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 20 2012, 11:40 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 20 2012, 11:30 AM) *
Maybe, but with the deliveries to businesses it might cause trouble. But what do you define as a HGV? A transit van? A 7.5 Ton non artic lorry? Or the full on articulated lorry thingy bob?

There are plenty of vans, maybe 1 a minute is a bit overkill but they are regular and frequent, where as the HGVs (I count a HGV as a bit articulated truck, not the little tiny lorries) are maybe one or two per hour thereabouts. For the record the largest vehicle that came down while I was watching was an LDV Convoy tongue.gif

For the few business still on Mill Lane they'd still be able to have 44tonners as the signs would no doubt state 'Except for Access'.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 20 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #19

Guests

True point smile.gif

I think that would be a good compromise, although I don't think there is any through traffic. No doubt the 15 residents will be fuming that the noise of a lorry (imperceptible) is ruining their daytime TV such as Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 20 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 20 2012, 11:51 AM) *
True point smile.gif

I think that would be a good compromise, although I don't think there is any through traffic. No doubt the 15 residents will be fuming that the noise of a lorry (imperceptible) is ruining their daytime TV such as Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women. rolleyes.gif

The main problem is the vibration which cuases damage to the foundations, pointing, etc etc.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:50 AM