Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The greenest shade of yellow, Which party has the greenest credentials
On the edge
post Mar 14 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

We've just had the LibDem flyer through the letter box. Boasting about their green credentials and how LibDems protect the Countryside etc. etc. Can anyone clarify - are these the same LibDems that permitted an industrial design hospital and a plastic floodlit sports arena to be built in the 'Strategic green gap' between Newbury and Thatcham - or was it a different lot?

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 14 2010, 05:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

They did try to stop Vodafone though.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 15 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (On the edge @ Mar 14 2010, 04:17 PM) *
We've just had the LibDem flyer through the letter box. Boasting about their green credentials and how LibDems protect the Countryside etc. etc. Can anyone clarify - are these the same LibDems that permitted an industrial design hospital and a plastic floodlit sports arena to be built in the 'Strategic green gap' between Newbury and Thatcham - or was it a different lot?

Nope, they are the same!

Also the same that campaigned for 9 miles of countryside to be destroyed to the west of Newbury!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 15 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

You can't halt the march of progress.....

I'd vote for them.....

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 15 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

None have the Greenest credentials. Commerce comes first.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 15 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 15 2010, 11:39 AM) *
You can't halt the march of progress.....

I'd vote for them.....

Actually I'd agree - but why the half truths We all KNOW that this area has been through massive growth and is now highly urbanised. As I see it, from the inception of WBC the LibDems had TWELVE YEARS to get things right and properly plan and ready the populace for the future. Instead they chose the route of cheap popularity; pretending it wouldn't happen or that they 'would stop it'. I'd voted Liberal since I was old enough to vote - so seeing both local and national liberal representation was fantastic. However, as the old saying goes - be careful what you wish for. What a let down, I'd never vote for them again.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Mar 15 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

It's funny, I always voted Tory and even spent a time as a Conservative councillor, and am gobsmacked at how badly they have done with Newbury. I won't be voting for them again! Maybe we should make a pact and both stay in on polling night!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Mar 15 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I just received the same leaflet today - what exactly is the Tory policy they quote for reducing taxes for millionaires? I can only think they mean proposals to raise the inheritance tax threshold, which is really twisting words to mean something totally different.

It's perfectly valid to knock something down, but only if they state what it is, and not imply something by innuendo.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 15 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Mar 15 2010, 04:53 PM) *
It's funny, I always voted Tory and even spent a time as a Conservative councillor, and am gobsmacked at how badly they have done with Newbury. I won't be voting for them again! Maybe we should make a pact and both stay in on polling night!

You are on! wink.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Mar 15 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

How would all you folks who say you cannot be bothered to vote feel if your right to vote was removed and we were given a self imposed dictator?

It all stems from voter apathy!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Mar 15 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Mar 15 2010, 10:34 PM) *
How would all you folks who say you cannot be bothered to vote feel if your right to vote was removed and we were given a self imposed dictator?

Some would say we have.

Yes, but if voting could change anything, they would abolish it.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Mar 16 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I think that's what we've got. Hence the comments about 'elective dictaorships' previously from Messrs Hailsham and Benn. Locally its far worse; in reality we have no say in what the local parties are 'fighting for'. They decide that themselves - meaning things are done to us and not for us. Worse, central government reserves so much power to itself the 'administration' simply follows orders from Westminister.

I'm certainly not apathetic, angry yes. Angry that we have let what little power we gained slip from our grasp - without argument. Proof - when did you last see any local politician resign on a matter of political principles? The only way I can peacefully protest is to withold my vote; in fact I'll do better - I'll spoil the paper.

Finally, to the cry of why not stand yourself? Look at the system; the times of meetings, format of minutes, level of debate are all designed to discourage anyone but the bored retired take to take it on.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:08 AM