> The Wharf this afternoon.
Andrea
post Jul 27 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 27 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Every council employee I have had the misfortune to have to endure has been rude and ineffective, so based on my experience I will make the sweeping generalisation that council employee's, for some reason are automatons. And without meaning to sound overly harsh, unless you work alongside your husband Chesapeake, you are not in a position to judge him professionally. I'm sure he works hard but also I think (as with the police force) once you are part of an institution, you lose through constant dissapointment and lack of support or leadership, your passion and just become "that way".

I have worked at the council and I agree entirely with you. I'm glad I left when I did, I didn't realise how unhappy I was working there until after I left.

Everything at the council is in black and white, there are no grey areas. You're expected to follow a certain process, no exception.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 03:20 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 27 2009, 04:10 PM) *
Every council employee I have had the misfortune to have to endure has been rude and ineffective, so based on my experience I will make the sweeping generalisation that council employee's, for some reason are automatons. And without meaning to sound overly harsh, unless you work alongside your husband Chesapeake, you are not in a position to judge him professionally. I'm sure he works hard but also I think (as with the police force) once you are part of an institution, you lose through constant dissapointment and lack of support or leadership, your passion and just become "that way".

I must admit that is a good reply; an observer.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 03:25 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ Jul 27 2009, 04:18 PM) *
I have worked at the council and I agree entirely with you. I'm glad I left when I did, I didn't realise how unhappy I was working there until after I left.

Everything at the council is in black and white, there are no grey areas. You're expected to follow a certain process, no exception.

That is my experience, but to be fair on Chesapeake's husband he might not be somebody who has to confront the public - he might be holed away out of harms way - thus retaining his integrity in-tacked. For some reason upon joining our illustrious council they lose that bit of humanity that is so much needed in other walks of life; actually it is needed in the council, but they must have skipped that part tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andrea
post Jul 27 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 16

QUOTE (GMR @ Jul 27 2009, 04:25 PM) *
That is my experience, but to be fair on Chesapeake's husband he might not be somebody who has to confront the public - he might be holed away out of harms way - thus retaining his integrity in-tacked. For some reason upon joining our illustrious council they lose that bit of humanity that is so much needed in other walks of life; actually it is needed in the council, but they must have skipped that part tongue.gif

I didn't work with the public either. The people who did work with the public were way worse than I was! Those I spoke to didn't have a nice thing to say about the council

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 27 2009, 05:32 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

Well if we’re going to make large sweeping statements of a general nature and tar all council workers with the same lazy, arrogant and ineffectual brush, let’s also consider the definition of a ‘‘Sweeping Statement’.........

“A statement presented as a general truth but based on limited or incomplete evidence.”

Councils eh? Large organisations they are........ WBC is one of the small ones but still employs several thousand people in our area.

But are ALL council employees thick automatons?

And are ALL employees in the private sector overloaded with good manners, super-intelligence and an ability to act without following ‘Company Rules’?

Really?!! rolleyes.gif

Teachers are employed by the Council..... ‘Thick’ or ‘not thick’?

Council solicitors......’Thick or ‘not thick’?

Highways engineers..... ‘Thick’ or ‘not thick’?

(I could go no............ wink.gif )

Doubtless strafin and GMR have ‘Employee of the Year’ certificates pinned on their office walls, alongside their degree certificates and their gold ‘Customer Service’ medals (was it gold stars you got in McDs strafin?? laugh.gif Perhaps you get the rude and ineffective treatment because you treat them rudely? Maybe just a little bit?)

I don’t think EVERY Council worker just spends their day leaning on a broom and watching others work (though some probably get away with it wink.gif )

But I’m also sure that the same sort of daft ‘sweeping statement’ could be made about the police, squaddies, ‘teenagers’ or ‘people from an ethnic background’.... It’s just rubbish.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 06:13 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andrea @ Jul 27 2009, 04:29 PM) *
I didn't work with the public either. The people who did work with the public were way worse than I was! Those I spoke to didn't have a nice thing to say about the council

They are not alone wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 27 2009, 06:32 PM) *
Well if we’re going to make large sweeping statements of a general nature and tar all council workers with the same lazy, arrogant and ineffectual brush, let’s also consider the definition of a ‘‘Sweeping Statement’.........

“A statement presented as a general truth but based on limited or incomplete evidence.”

Councils eh? Large organisations they are........ WBC is one of the small ones but still employs several thousand people in our area.

But are ALL council employees thick automatons?

And are ALL employees in the private sector overloaded with good manners, super-intelligence and an ability to act without following ‘Company Rules’?

Really?!! rolleyes.gif

Teachers are employed by the Council..... ‘Thick’ or ‘not thick’?

Council solicitors......’Thick or ‘not thick’?

Highways engineers..... ‘Thick’ or ‘not thick’?

(I could go no............ wink.gif )

Doubtless strafin and GMR have ‘Employee of the Year’ certificates pinned on their office walls, alongside their degree certificates and their gold ‘Customer Service’ medals (was it gold stars you got in McDs strafin?? laugh.gif Perhaps you get the rude and ineffective treatment because you treat them rudely? Maybe just a little bit?)

I don’t think EVERY Council worker just spends their day leaning on a broom and watching others work (though some probably get away with it wink.gif )

But I’m also sure that the same sort of daft ‘sweeping statement’ could be made about the police, squaddies, ‘teenagers’ or ‘people from an ethnic background’.... It’s just rubbish.

A sweeping statement can be pointed anywhere but in this instance we are talking about council employees and not other trades connected to them; i.e. teachers etc.

Secondly I am never rude to anybody; when I visit any official I am always polite, but it never gets me anywhere.

I know you were pointing the finger at a few but I did say that a lot of what I said was tongue-in-cheek.

I suppose if you didn't reply in the way you have - and very politely, I must say - we wouldn't have a debate... so keep up the good work my friend. At the end of the day it is all about debate wink.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 27 2009, 06:48 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

And I didn't say anyone was thick, just rude and ineffective. And I did follow the rules of the sweeping statement, and made it clear that it was based solely on my personal experience and nothing else. I have been commended and do have awards directly related to my empathatic nature and ability to remain reasoned and calm when dealing with people. I have not experienced anyting like the rudeness (and it is rudeness and not my interpretation), anywhere other than WBC. Teachers and other external workers (who are not employed by the council, just get their wages from their fund) are not included in my statement as you suggest.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 27 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #29

Guests

Right, here comes the bombshell.

I work for WBC!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Jul 27 2009, 07:01 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 27 2009, 07:55 PM) *
Right, here comes the bombshell. I work for WBC!

That explains a lot! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 27 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I work for WBC!
Noooooooooo! Gah! You’re ‘one of them’!! A useless automaton! Grouped with the traffic Mafioso which are so despised in this town.........

Good God man! ‘Outing’ yourself to the Great & Good of the Newbury forum!! You’ll be ostracised and sent to Coventry (where I understand they also have a bollard problem and a local forum which debates on the intelligence level of their local government untermensch.......)

From now on your posts will be subjected to an intelligence sweep and discounted as the ramblings of the lower order council swine.

And yes, it wasn’t strafin who claimed that council staff were thick..... it was tommi
“Where are ye tommi?! Get yer fists up......”
Bill1? ATTACK!!”

BTW......... my stuff’s all tongue in cheek with a large dose of nonsense thrown in for good measure too.......

But curious that teachers and the like have been excluded from the group of sub-humans that form ‘Council employees’. Why? Do you just include binmen as Council employees. (which they’re not.....)

Or is it the guys that fill in potholes and sit in their cabs all day by the side of some traffic lights doing fek all that are council staff (which (again) they’re not)

Just curious about which employees get on your man jugs...... wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

I work for WBC!

Don't worry Bill we won't hold it against you. We won't have any prejudices where board members are concerned..... laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 07:56 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 27 2009, 08:45 PM) *
And yes, it wasn’t strafin who claimed that council staff were thick..... it was tommi
Bill1? ATTACK!!”

Just a small point; it is not Tommi with a T but Iommi; taken from Toni Iommi the great Black Sabbath guitarist. laugh.gif wink.gif Unless we've actually got Toni Iommi on here. Maybe he could give us a song to prove it one way or the other wink.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

BTW......... my stuff’s all tongue in cheek with a large dose of nonsense thrown in for good measure too.......

Good; at least I am not alone wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 27 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #35

Guests

So now you know.

This automaton has a mind of his own, just like all the people in my department.

And no I'm not telling what that is.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 27 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #36

Guests

Noooooooooo! Gah! You’re ‘one of them’!! A useless automaton! Grouped with the traffic Mafioso which are so despised in this town.........

Good God man! ‘Outing’ yourself to the Great & Good of the Newbury forum!! You’ll be ostracised and sent to Coventry (where I understand they also have a bollard problem and a local forum which debates on the intelligence level of their local government untermensch.......)

From now on your posts will be subjected to an intelligence sweep and discounted as the ramblings of the lower order council swine.

Bill1? ATTACK!!”

But curious that teachers and the like have been excluded from the group of sub-humans that form ‘Council employees’. Why? Do you just include binmen as Council employees. (which they’re not.....)

Or is it the guys that fill in potholes and sit in their cabs all day by the side of some traffic lights doing fek all that are council staff (which (again) they’re not)

Just curious about which employees get on your man jugs...... wink.gif

Oi!

Traffic Mafioso is my line. See the start of this thread.

Just copying other peoples ideas is a sign of an automaton! wink.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 27 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 27 2009, 09:05 PM) *
So now you know.

This automaton has a mind of his own, just like all the people in my department.

You are not borg are you? I watched them take over Voyager Star Trek and they can be pretty ruthless... and they are part of a collective; just like the council Can you see where I am going and the similarities:lol:

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 27 2009, 08:29 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Jul 27 2009, 09:05 PM) *

Let me guess... Parking Enforcement? Bollard Repair Unit? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Jul 27 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #39

Guests

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 27 2009, 09:29 PM) *
Let me guess... Parking Enforcement? Bollard Repair Unit? tongue.gif

PEEESSSSSSH! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 27 2009, 08:34 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Bill, think it is quite big of you to admit you're a council employee on this forum, especially on this thread. Everyone else, a council employee, I consider to be someone who is employed directly by WBC and recieves their wages directly from them. Anyone working for Veolia, a school, or ISS landscaping or any other "contractor" is not a WBC employee.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:38 AM