> Greenham Common control tower gains listed status
Phil_D11102
post Feb 22 2012, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 846

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/greenha...s-listed-status

West Berkshire councillor Julian Swift-Hook (Lib Dem, Greenham told Newburytoday.co.uk of his satisfaction at the news: “Hopefully this listing will help to preserve the Control tower for posterity and protect it from some of the more outlandish schemes that have been proposed in recent times.”

West Berkshire Council considered a report last year showing the future of the tower was in the balance. Three options were considered: keep it for the council’s own use; sell it on the open market or demolish it.

Mr Swift-Hook said: “[This is] arguably the most iconic building in Greenham and a permanent and highly visible reminder of Greenham’s part in Cold War history. I am delighted it has now been designated as a Grade II listed building.”

The listing document highlights the key historic significance of the building. It reads: “[It is] a key building of an internationally significant Cold War airbase which controlled the base’s aircraft activity.”

I find the Councillor's comments comical. Know the history of the base.. As the control tower has always been in control of the council, they have done nothing with it, and it's in a state of disrepair. The best "idea" the council had was to turn it into a cafe. There have been ideas to turn the GAMA into a musuem, but the council stopped the owners idea on how to raise capital for such an endevaour.

It's ironic that RAF Greenham Common has not once, but twice been the front line of stopping oppression, but there is NOTHING to show it's history, or the contribution those on base played.

BTW Councillor, the most iconic building(s) on Greenham are the GAMA structures, but that is something you do not wish to acknowledge, even if they have been identified as a "scheduled monument' – a nationally important archaeological site that is given protection against unauthorised change.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 22 2012, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Guests

Ah nothing like a reminder to celebrate war and death of thousands. Vladmir Putin's finest hour. Or some other Russian. Or serbian. I lost the will to care after we went to war over the "freedom" of Iran/Iraq etc when it was all about power and control and oh don't forget oil.

In my eyes it's not like Big Ben, or Stonehenge, it's not got very much (relative) history... why has it been given a listed status. Cafe is a laughable idea. "Yes kids let's go eat a bacon sandwich, likely overpriced and not as nice as the ones I make at home, in the middle of a war base".
That would have been an ideal site for a mixed housing/nature reserve area.

There is a desperate shortage of affordable housing for young, mature, self depandant professional people (like me take your pick on which applies to me) and also affordable housing for young families. There would be ample space for 500-600 houses without overcrowding and still give a VERY large space for the conservation areas, still keeping the big lakes and pleasant, open walking areas.
Or turn it into a race track. Either one would work by me.

+Quote Post
Phil_D11102
post Feb 22 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 846

I see don't know the history of the base either..

Greenham Common has been used as a military base since the 1740's. In the WWII, on the eve of D-Day, Airborne troops were visited by Gen Eisenhower, who stayed on the base until the last of the planes took off for France.

You know about the history of the base during the Cold War, but it's that base (not trying to sound too patriotic) is one of the direct reasons contributing to the fall of Communism.

I appreciate your saying that it should be developed for housing, a racecourse, etc, but the the local council and the Greenham trust made **** sure that now the American pounds were leaving the area, they could somehow use the base for additional income into the Newbury area. Do you not collate the base closing to Newbury not doing as well as it did during the height of the base being open.
They made sure the runway was taken up, which saw the Thrust 2 supercar being tested. The runway being torn up also appeased the peace women and a few local residents who wanted to graze their cows..Sure it's nice to have a place to walk the dog, but it's not the most scenic walk around.

It's shouldn't be a monument for those who gave their lives, I would like to see a museum telling the history of the base, and the stories of those who worked on the base. Leave the rememberance of those who passed to the British Legion, no offense intended.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Feb 22 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Feb 22 2012, 02:38 PM) *
I see don't know the history of the base either..

Phil, I think the history of the base is somewhat lost on the forum's resident ankle biter. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 22 2012, 07:18 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Phil_D11102 @ Feb 22 2012, 02:38 PM) *
Sure it's nice to have a place to walk the dog, but it's not the most scenic walk around.

Au contraire. The birch and sweet chestnut woods are lovely, the paths are mostly firm and dry, fungi are particularly numerous and varied, birdlife is excellent with the yaffles and dartford warblers (yes, I've called them, and they respond), you won't find a healthier population of spiders anywhere, but you really need a dewey morning to see their webs, especially the sinsiter funnels, and the cows completely ignore you (though they still make me nervous), and I'll never forget the year when the bee orchids all came out - amazing flowers. It's popular with many dog walkers and my girls almost always meet someone happy to play with them, but it definitiely has its own charm too, not so much the old runway area, but it's much more than that.

I would very much like to see the control tower become a tea room which could very easily be incorporated into a museum/interpretation centre, though it is rather stuck out of the way on Burys Bank Road.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 22 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (massifheed @ Feb 22 2012, 04:48 PM) *
Phil, I think the history of the base is somewhat lost on the forum's resident ankle biter. wink.gif

Shut your feece.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Feb 25 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

So when is WBC's conservation officer going to serve an enforcement order on WBC's property department and get them to repair and stabilise this listed building?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:55 AM