Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Playing 75 mph - brake, Fun on the A 34
DereckT
post Feb 17 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,536

Hi all
In the light of the recent crash on the A34, and the general frequency of these accidents especially around East Ilsley, I thought I'd share a little game I've played for years on my commute to Oxford daily on the A34.
Basically you have to keep up to 75mph for as long as possible without ever touching the brakes. Many times I've gone from the Vodafone to Oxford and acheived this.
The trick of course is extreme anticipation of vehicles both behind and in front of you, very smooth driving, lots of use of lane 1 and indicaters, and antiipation of hills making you overspeed. Points deducted for anyone you cut up / annoy by inconsiderate driving.
Advance playing can include keeping the instant mpg indicater over 60 mpg, and correctly guessing the number of cars that will have only one headlight working.
Oh yes - in 40 years of driving including 7 as a motorbike despatch rider - no accidents.
Any takers ?
Dereck T
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 17 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (DereckT @ Feb 17 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Hi all
In the light of the recent crash on the A34, and the general frequency of these accidents especially around East Ilsley, I thought I'd share a little game I've played for years on my commute to Oxford daily on the A34.
Basically you have to keep up to 75mph for as long as possible without ever touching the brakes. Many times I've gone from the Vodafone to Oxford and acheived this.
The trick of course is extreme anticipation of vehicles both behind and in front of you, very smooth driving, lots of use of lane 1 and indicaters, and antiipation of hills making you overspeed. Points deducted for anyone you cut up / annoy by inconsiderate driving.
Advance playing can include keeping the instant mpg indicater over 60 mpg, and correctly guessing the number of cars that will have only one headlight working.
Oh yes - in 40 years of driving including 7 as a motorbike despatch rider - no accidents.
Any takers ?
Dereck T

Can't condone the 75mph, but all the rest suggests a driving pattern to be commended. Festina Lente, as they say in Rome.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Feb 17 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (DereckT @ Feb 17 2012, 08:54 PM) *
Hi all
Any takers ?
Dereck T

It's one way to pass the time. I commuted to Oxford for a year or so and wrote a couple of chapters of a novel - I did take the train though.

Welcome to NewburyToday Dereck.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 18 2012, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Feb 17 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Can't condone the 75mph, but all the rest suggests a driving pattern to be commended. Festina Lente, as they say in Rome.

Oh give over you ne'erdobadder.
Sounds like a fun game I will try it next time.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 18 2012, 12:59 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Feb 18 2012, 12:27 AM) *
Oh give over you ne'erdobadder.
Sounds like a fun game I will try it next time.

I didn't say I am a Peter Perfect, just don't condone others. The principles expressed are excellent and even apply on the racetrack....

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Feb 18 2012, 02:22 AM
Post #6

Guests

Excellent.

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Feb 17 2012, 10:34 PM) *
It's one way to pass the time. I commuted to Oxford for a year or so and wrote a couple of chapters of a novel - I did take the train though.

Welcome to NewburyToday Dereck.

Probably the Richard Garvie memoirs. Probably explains in great depth his political prowess.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Feb 18 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (DereckT @ Feb 17 2012, 09:54 PM) *
Basically you have to keep up to 75mph for as long as possible without ever touching the brakes.

Nigh on impossible I would have thought in peak periods.
(In a car anyway wink.gif )
Too many outside lane hoggers and lorries like pulling out!! angry.gif
I have tried setting my cruise control at 70-75 on the same journey and invariably have to reset in a very short time.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Feb 18 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2012, 10:04 AM) *
(In a car anyway wink.gif )
Too many outside lane hoggers and lorries like pulling out!! angry.gif
I have tried setting my cruise control at 70-75 on the same journey and invariably have to reset in a very short time.

You will, as that tries to hold your speed at 70(?) when forward observation tells you 60 or less is sustainable at that time. Easing off early will often bring you to the slower traffic just as it clears or picks up speed. Maybe the lane 2 slow traffic will move over to allow a legal speed vehicle coming up behind to pass...... or not!

+Quote Post
user23
post Feb 18 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

One of the few things Jeremy Clarkson said that I agree with is that when Motorway driving one shouldn't have to use their brake pedal.

Granted there's the odd exception when some numpty pulls out in front of you without warning, but on the whole he's correct.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Feb 18 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (user23 @ Feb 18 2012, 01:01 PM) *
One of the few things Jeremy Clarkson said that I agree with is that when Motorway driving one shouldn't have to use their break pedal.

Granted there's the odd exception when some numpty pulls out in front of you without warning, but on the whole he's correct.

Good job he didn't say that on the forum otherwise you would have still been arguing with him. (brake)

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Feb 18 2012, 11:27 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Feb 18 2012, 10:04 AM) *

Almost certainly impossible and very dangerous to try. How about just trying to drive as smoothly as possible in the correct lane?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:51 AM