Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HJD
post Jul 30 2013, 03:40 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 322

Of course if you see blue lights in your mirror you should always have a good excuse, just like this chap. laugh.gif

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...y-tomatoes.html

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jul 31 2013, 07:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

They omit to tell you that there is no requirement in UK law to give way to a blue-lit vehicle and tat only a Police officer may instruct to break the law by entering a bus lane or crossing a red light

This varies from country to country. In the UK a flashing blue light is a request for precedence; in Germany it is an absolute right of way

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 31 2013, 07:31 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Berkshirelad @ Jul 31 2013, 08:29 AM) *
They omit to tell you that there is no requirement in UK law to give way to a blue-lit vehicle and tat only a Police officer may instruct to break the law by entering a bus lane or crossing a red light

This varies from country to country. In the UK a flashing blue light is a request for precedence; in Germany it is an absolute right of way

I beg to differ. The video I watched specifically advised that no emergency vehicle would expect me to cross the white line while waiting at a red light, or move into a bus lane, and that the only circumstance in which this should occur would be if directed by a police officer.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 31 2013, 07:35 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 31 2013, 08:31 AM) *
I beg to differ. The video I watched specifically advised that no emergency vehicle would expect me to cross the white line while waiting at a red light, or move into a bus lane, and that the only circumstance in which this should occur would be if directed by a police officer.

Yes, it was surprisingly good and very accurate.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 31 2013, 08:17 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

So we all now need instruction on how to pull over for a blue light vehicle?? blink.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 31 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 31 2013, 09:17 AM) *
So we all now need instruction on how to pull over for a blue light vehicle?? blink.gif

No, of course not., This, like all the road safety information is aimed at those who need a reminder. Certainly, and I'm sure you are an exception, none of the rest of us are perfect drivers.

As far as emergency vehicles using blue lights are concerned, many drivers extend the regulations by breaking the law themselves or act in a way which puts other road users in danger, because they believe that's what the blue light demands they do.

The counter side, which also needs addressing, is the attitude and way in which the blue light is used by the emergency service drivers. To do this properly and safely needs a significant degree of training and for the reasons stated above, needs close monitoring. Although it is obvious to most, blue lights should only be used in the case of a bona_fide emergency and by properly trained drivers,. Its only human nature for the drivers to see the blue lights as an exciting event; something that needs careful attitude training.

Some years back, there was a fatality on the A4 where a young woman, keeping to the law, on what appeared to be an empty main roads, was killed in a collision with an emergency vehicle. Ironically, that vehicle was on its way to a hoax call. The Driver of the vehicle was a young recently appointed member of staff, who had not been given any formal training. At the time, his Chief said that the emergency driver was wholly responsible because we tell our staff to be careful. I trust you'll see the biggest danger is management attitudes like that.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 31 2013, 09:14 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 31 2013, 10:10 AM) *
No, of course not., This, like all the road safety information is aimed at those who need a reminder. Certainly, and I'm sure you are an exception, none of the rest of us are perfect drivers.

As far as emergency vehicles using blue lights are concerned, many drivers extend the regulations by breaking the law themselves or act in a way which puts other road users in danger, because they believe that's what the blue light demands they do.

The counter side, which also needs addressing, is the attitude and way in which the blue light is used by the emergency service drivers. To do this properly and safely needs a significant degree of training and for the reasons stated above, needs close monitoring. Although it is obvious to most, blue lights should only be used in the case of a bona_fide emergency and by properly trained drivers,. Its only human nature for the drivers to see the blue lights as an exciting event; something that needs careful attitude training.

Some years back, there was a fatality on the A4 where a young woman, keeping to the law, on what appeared to be an empty main roads, was killed in a collision with an emergency vehicle. Ironically, that vehicle was on its way to a hoax call. The Driver of the vehicle was a young recently appointed member of staff, who had not been given any formal training. At the time, his Chief said that the emergency driver was wholly responsible because we tell our staff to be careful. I trust you'll see the biggest danger is management attitudes like that.

OK fair enough I accept that but where does it end?
Whatever happened to common sense?
For example, the video tells you not to pull over onto the pavement, so if you are in a queue on the ring road and a blue light comes along everyone is going to pull over to let them through, probably mounting the pavement. Strictly illegal I know but are you going to resolutely block their way because it says in the video "do not mount the pavement"?
Also, there are plenty of other bad driving habits that people could do with an instructional video on.
Do I need a video showing me how to wipe my ar$e?
(That should produce some interesting replies tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Claude
post Jul 31 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,574

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 31 2013, 09:17 AM) *

Personally I picked up some really useful advice from this video and in my opinion it's a valuable resource.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 31 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 31 2013, 10:14 AM) *
OK fair enough I accept that but where does it end?

When there are no emergencies or accidents. wink.gif

Whatever happened to common sense?

Some times one will find that common sense is not always that common. I think the 'Think Bike' campaign is just common sense, but it still needs bloody ramming home.

For example, the video tells you not to pull over onto the pavement, so if you are in a queue on the ring road and a blue light comes along everyone is going to pull over to let them through, probably mounting the pavement. Strictly illegal I know but are you going to resolutely block their way because it says in the video "do not mount the pavement"?
Also, there are plenty of other bad driving habits that people could do with an instructional video on.
(That should produce some interesting replies tongue.gif )

Does your particular lack of need for the video mean it is pointless?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 31 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 31 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Some times one will find that common sense is not always that common. I think the 'Think Bike' campaign is just common sense, but it still needs bloody ramming home.

Fair enough and good point but I still think it is unfortunate that people need videos to tell them to look out for things and to not pull out in front of them!
QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 31 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Does your particular lack of need for the video mean it is pointless?

No, but as I said before, where does it end?
Is a video necessary for ALL aspects of driving where things may go wrong?
How about a video on lane discipline, an anti tailgating video or perhaps one on how not to be so arrogant on the road?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 31 2013, 12:12 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Claude @ Jul 31 2013, 10:44 AM) *
Personally I picked up some really useful advice from this video and in my opinion it's a valuable resource.

So before viewing the video your methods of getting out of the way or stopping for a blue light vehicle were dangerous or illegal?
Did you ever experience a problem?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jul 31 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I think we could do with a safety promotional video on the use of seat belts. Something with a catchy message. Probably use a famous TV personality to help get the message across to younger viewers. I was thinking "Click, Clunk Every Trip".... just throwing it out there, don't know if it's been thought of before?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 31 2013, 12:21 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

I'll leave it there with my 2 posts above as it's probably not worth further argument.
A relatively minor issue I suppose. dry.gif
It just vexes me sometimes ( and I know it probably shouldn't) that we need to be instructed and mollycoddled through life on things that should be common sense.
Anyway, on to another subject - lets move on!!!!!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jul 31 2013, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 31 2013, 01:16 PM) *
I think we could do with a safety promotional video on the use of seat belts. Something with a catchy message. Probably use a famous TV personality to help get the message across to younger viewers. I was thinking "Click, Clunk Every Trip".... just throwing it out there, don't know if it's been thought of before?

Now who was it that did that campaign?? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 31 2013, 12:26 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jul 31 2013, 01:21 PM) *
I'll leave it there with my 2 posts above as it's probably not worth further argument.
A relatively minor issue I suppose. dry.gif
It just vexes me sometimes ( and I know it probably shouldn't) that we need to be instructed and mollycoddled through life on things that should be common sense.
Anyway, on to another subject - lets move on!!!!!! tongue.gif

Just one final point, if everyone acted sensibly, we wouldn't need many road signs, speed limits....car parking restrictions, or dare I say..bollards!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
motormad
post Jul 31 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 31 2013, 10:10 AM) *

Word.

smile.gif

I don't move over. Well, I do but - not to a point where I'd damage my car. Ive seen people pull up half-foot curbs to get out the way... completely F-that.

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jul 31 2013, 06:19 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I get over the best I can. We're talking about possible life or death FFS! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 31 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jul 31 2013, 01:16 PM) *
I was thinking "Click, Clunk Every Trip".... just throwing it out there, don't know if it's been thought of before?

Just shows how much it impressed itself on you smile.gif

It was "Clunk, click..." - as well as making it nearly rhyme, it meant the clunk when you shut the car door, followed by the click as you fastened the seat belt. Just sayin'.

+Quote Post
motormad
post Aug 1 2013, 07:54 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 592

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jul 31 2013, 07:19 PM) *
I get over the best I can. We're talking about possible life or death FFS! rolleyes.gif

Or you know, damaging a set of irreplaceable alloy wheels.

Priorities. laugh.gif

--------------------
:p
Grammar: the difference between knowing your poop and knowing you're poop.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:12 PM