> CoronaVirus, Nature will find a way
Turin Machine
post Yesterday, 08:49 AM
Post #541

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,104

QUOTE (newres @ May 28 2020, 08:09 AM) *
I actually worked in Bray. I should have said that. Apologies.

Bus. It's what? Three miles?

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Yesterday, 09:30 AM
Post #542

Advanced Member

Member No.: 48

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 28 2020, 08:18 AM) *
Well you get on a train at Newbury Railway Station and get off at Maidenhead Railway Station. Although, horror of horrors, you usually have to change trains at Reading! Very unrealistic?

A better example is my normal commute to Weston. There are no buses returning to Newbury after 15:39, which is obviously no good for a typical full-time working day. Even if you wanted to go in early and work flexibly you couldn't get there until 09:21.

https://images.reading-buses.co.uk/download...timetable_0.pdf

+Quote Post
Mr Brown
post Yesterday, 01:16 PM
Post #543

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,072

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 28 2020, 10:30 AM) *
A better example is my normal commute to Weston. There are no buses returning to Newbury after 15:39, which is obviously no good for a typical full-time working day. Even if you wanted to go in early and work flexibly you couldn't get there until 09:21.

https://images.reading-buses.co.uk/download...timetable_0.pdf

Several points. First one, is there any reason why your firm actually needs to be located in Weston ? Would it be possible for you to relocate ? The Green Party would advocate these options which ought to eliminate any need for staff transport. Then, are all the processes such that even with collaboration technology staff can't work from home? This has to come from the top, and even I was pleasantly surprised when our, apparently atypical sleepy management went for it wholeheartedly! So there's hope for you yet.

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Post #544

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mr Brown @ May 28 2020, 02:16 PM) *
Several points. First one, is there any reason why your firm actually needs to be located in Weston ? Would it be possible for you to relocate ? The Green Party would advocate these options which ought to eliminate any need for staff transport. Then, are all the processes such that even with collaboration technology staff can't work from home? This has to come from the top, and even I was pleasantly surprised when our, apparently atypical sleepy management went for it wholeheartedly! So there's hope for you yet.

Answers to your questions:

1. We don't need to be located in Weston but it provides affordable office accommodation of the right size.
2. It would be possible for us to relocate. A predecessor company was based in Newbury town centre.
3. Some staff are unable to work from home because they work with paper questionnaires. All other staff could work from home without any issues. However, these paper questionnaires may become obsolete in the future and then everybody could work from home at all times.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Yesterday, 07:35 PM
Post #545

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 28 2020, 06:30 PM) *

1. We don't need to be located in Weston but it provides affordable office accommodation of the right size.
2. It would be possible for us to relocate. A predecessor company was based in Newbury town centre.
3. Some staff are unable to work from home because they work with paper questionnaires. All other staff could work from home without any issues. However, these paper questionnaires may become obsolete in the future and then everybody could work from home at all times.

But, if those that could work from home did so then the office could be smaller, cost savings. Move to hasten the end of the paper, then you could close the office entirely. More efficient, less stress, less pollution, what's not to like?

+Quote Post
James_Trinder
post Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Post #546

Advanced Member

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 28 2020, 08:35 PM) *
But, if those that could work from home did so then the office could be smaller, cost savings. Move to hasten the end of the paper, then you could close the office entirely. More efficient, less stress, less pollution, what's not to like?

No arguments from me.

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post Yesterday, 08:03 PM
Post #547

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (James_Trinder @ May 28 2020, 06:30 PM) *

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ May 28 2020, 08:35 PM) *

And in addition town centre office space is likely to become much cheaper!

+Quote Post
newres
post Today, 12:35 PM
Post #548

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ May 28 2020, 09:49 AM) *
Bus. It's what? Three miles?

Add the walk to Newbury train station, the walk from Bray High Street to Monkey Island..... Well I wouldn’t choose to commute that way. I’d drive. It’s really the most practical solution. Ofcourse you might be different.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 26 27 28
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2020 - 05:04 PM