> Police causing the maximum inconvenience, M4 closure
Rachel
post Oct 1 2010, 01:19 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 258

QUOTE (Brad @ Oct 1 2010, 01:38 PM) *
A tissue, you offered a tissue.. Where was the hug? I'd have squished that old lady up in a loving hug, pinched her cheek whilst saying how adorable she was, patted her on the head and off id plod. I do hope it was a used tissue blink.gif

Well, sometimes, silence speaks louder than words. please re-read what I wrote, you will see she appeared a gentle soul, &, not wishing to embarress her, a tissue & a smile seemed appropriate.

Appropriate....now there's a word with meaning, one which many might ponder.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Oct 1 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Oct 1 2010, 01:51 PM) *
You're quite new on here aren't you?

We welcome people aboard but then hope they are the decent sort i.e. know when to have a laugh and when not.

One of my best friends had to cope with the suicide of his only brother and a cousin of mine was shot by a lad who then took his own life, so I know all about the tragedy of suicide and I doubt I'm the only one on here who does, so please think before you post.

This goes for others who have been less than sympathetic on here too.

Thank you.

Well said - some of the comments on here are shameful. Having known two people who did, as well as a very close relative who didn't, but tried a couple of times - I know only too well the utter misery it can cause to all involved. So I hope that those too selfish to think beyond the inconvenience it may cause them will never have a loved one going through the sort of turmoil that person is today.

What hope is there for David Cameron's Big Society when this is the reaction of many to news of another human being in trouble?!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Oct 1 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 1 2010, 01:55 PM) *
I don't want to feed this misanthropic trolling, but I feel obliged to say that I find some of the comments in this thread unacceptable.

I'd go further and say downright disgraceful.

Regardless of an inconvenience it may cause, you have a person, who could easily be a member of your family, in need. Mental illness in all it's forms, including depression, cause people of all ages, sex and creed do things that you and I call "irrational". They should not be something to be hated or despised but are in need of help, and if more people helped those less fortunate than themselves, the world would be a better place.

To those criticising, go back under your rock and have a good think about what you have said.

One day it might just be you up there in need. angry.gif

+Quote Post
Roost
post Oct 1 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

I have seen a lot of people who need help in many ways.
I have experienced families and persons who are suffering, again in many different ways and for a variety of reasons.

As has been posted by the (apparently few!) remaining sensible people on here, certain comments made I find unacceptable, insensitive and beyone the point of jokes.

Please, please think before you type.

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Chesapeake
post Oct 1 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 205

I am totaly stunned!!!

The dreadful, disgusting and quite frankly inhumane comments posted on this site today by those who obviously don't have an ounce of compassion in their bodies should be removed! In fact I think that the posters themselves should be removed from this site!

People who wish to commit suicide by such drastic means are not thinking rationally and they certainly wouldn't be thinking about a small amount of inconvenience to the people who are caught up in their pain. Something that has happened to them or a situation that they find themselves in is SO incomprehendably awful that they cannot see a way forward or any other way to escape from their pain.

I hope that the selfish people who have made such thoughtless comments on here re-read their posts and go to bed tonight knowing that their views have shocked and outraged normal, good, kind, caring people and I hope that it causes them pain and an enormous amount of shame! Then, maybe, they will experience a minute fraction of the pain that the poor man was feeling and also the pain that the people who surrounded him because of their jobs or because of their relationship with him will have felt today and for the indefineable future.

I wish that man all of the best that is in this world so that he will be able to see that there ARE beautifull things in this world and thee ARE beautifull people around him who only want the best for him. X

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 2 2010, 07:17 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

I think there is a bit of over-reaction here with many a bleeding heart wishing to take the moral high ground. I think what has been said, and I agree with, is that this person was probably just seeking, and enjoying, the attention with no intention of suicide at all. In which case is was a very selfish act. If it was a genuine suicide attempt then why stand on a bridge during rush hour waiting for police etc to arrive. If your going to do it you will do it, I wonder just how long they stood there before anyone turned up - must have been at least twenty minutes.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 2 2010, 08:47 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 2 2010, 08:17 AM) *
I think there is a bit of over-reaction here with many a bleeding heart wishing to take the moral high ground. I think what has been said, and I agree with, is that this person was probably just seeking, and enjoying, the attention with no intention of suicide at all. In which case is was a very selfish act. If it was a genuine suicide attempt then why stand on a bridge during rush hour waiting for police etc to arrive. If your going to do it you will do it, I wonder just how long they stood there before anyone turned up - must have been at least twenty minutes.

Thanks DrPepper. Balance and reason.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 2 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

I don't believe anyone yet is qualified to comment on the motives of this individual. I think the response to the objectionable posts on here speak for themselves.

Why can't you and others see that there could be 'collateral damage' in all this? This isn't just down to the welfare of this person (who could be mentally ill for all we know; he has been sectioned), what about the feelings of any possible friends or relatives in circumstances like this?

As for 'balance and reason'; DrPepper's post is full of assertions. That's not balance and reason. And even if it is 'just an attention seeker', what difference to the process does that make? He could be an 'attention seeker' who makes a mistake.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 2 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Yes, things can't be that OK for someone who goes to such lengths to seek attention. I don't see that as the actions of a rational person. As previously said, what about the people who might know him, or his dependants?

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 2 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 2 2010, 10:03 AM) *
As for 'balance and reason'; DrPepper's post is full of assertions. That's not balance and reason. .

No more so than those supporting/sympathising this person.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Oct 2 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 2 2010, 10:03 AM) *
I don't believe anyone yet is qualified to comment on the motives of this individual. I think the response to the objectionable posts on here speak for themselves.

Why can't you and others see that there could be 'collateral damage' in all this? This isn't just down to the welfare of this person (who could be mentally ill for all we know; he has been sectioned), what about the feelings of any possible friends or relatives in circumstances like this?

As for 'balance and reason'; DrPepper's post is full of assertions. That's not balance and reason. And even if it is 'just an attention seeker', what difference to the process does that make? He could be an 'attention seeker' who makes a mistake.

Sorry, just don't understand this response.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 2 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

There is no doubt that some people use attempted suicide as a cry for help. But in some cases people actually do want to end their lives. I'd like to think if it was anyone I knew on that bridge, people would do everything they could to stop the situation ending in death.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 2 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 2 2010, 01:14 PM) *
No more so than those supporting/sympathising this person.

But no one is claiming the other posts are. OTE considered your post balanced and rational because he agrees with you, not because it was. Your opinion was assumptive and one sided; that is neither balanced nor rational. Whether anyone else's point was is immaterial, but at least they might be compassionate.

QUOTE (On the edge @ Oct 2 2010, 01:37 PM) *
Sorry, just don't understand this response.

That explains a lot, but I can't see there is anything difficult to understand in it. I'm explaining that with any incident, consideration for welfare extends beyond the protagonist. There are a number of issues that are being ignorantly over looked by the 'let him jump', or 'he doesn't mean it' club.

I think you know full-well what I mean and you are just being deliberately obtuse.

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Oct 2 2010, 02:24 PM) *
There is no doubt that some people use attempted suicide as a cry for help. But in some cases people actually do want to end their lives. I'd like to think if it was anyone I knew on that bridge, people would do everything they could to stop the situation ending in death.

Exactly, and the police did everything they could to ensure that outcome. It is just regrettable that with have some people with such a narrow minded attitude about matter like these.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 2 2010, 03:40 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 2 2010, 03:23 PM) *
But no one is claiming the other posts are. OTE considered your post balanced and rational because he agrees with you, not because it was. Your opinion was assumptive and one sided; that is neither balanced nor rational. Whether anyone else's point was is immaterial, but at least they might be compassionate.

Why is it immaterial if opposing views are not balanced or rational, but highly relevant that mine aren't (I agree mine are wholly one sided, its what makes for a debate) - you can't have it both ways. To be fully supporting what could be deliberate action to cause chaos is not balanced or rational.

Because...... same situation bought Birmingham to a virtual standstill on Thursday, could this be a new way of disrupting our infrastructure? http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/09...aradise-bridge/

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 2 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 2 2010, 04:40 PM) *
Why is it immaterial if opposing views are not balanced or rational, but highly relevant that mine aren't (I agree mine are wholly one sided, its what makes for a debate) - you can't have it both ways.

I have already explained that no-one was saying that anyone was being B&R, except OTE towards your post. He made the claim that your post was B&R; I believe that to be simply not true.

In my view though, the sympathisers are being more 'human', and that makes up for any possible indiscretion in my view. Even if this person was simply seeking attention, that person was still a risk to himself, although doing something like he seems to have done (it has not been revealed what), doesn't sound like the efforts of a rational person.

Perhaps if there was any official news on the incident, we could speak with more authority.

To be fully supporting what could be deliberate action to cause chaos is not balanced or rational.

What stupid thing to say. Who is supporting the actions of this person, what ever they might be?

Because...... same situation bought Birmingham to a virtual standstill on Thursday, could this be a new way of disrupting our infrastructure?

Who knows, but to decide we would need to know the facts.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 2 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Iommi @ Oct 2 2010, 04:55 PM) *
What stupid thing to say. Who is supporting the actions of this person, what ever they might be?

Err you, jacklets, darren, roost - need I go on.

As you say we don't yet know the details - so my views are just as valid and possible correct as yours might be.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 2 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 2 2010, 05:01 PM) *
Err you, jacklets, darren, roost - need I go on.

But that's b******s, so you have no need to go on. To understand someone, is not the same as to support someone. I understand why my mate's brother committed suicide, but I don't support it. I understand why someone might want to display a cry for help, but I don't support methods like in this topic.

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 2 2010, 05:01 PM) *
As you say we don't yet know the details - so my views are just as valid and possible correct as yours might be.

Validity is not the issue; it is the lack of compassion that is lacking in yours and other posts that has upset people.

Like I said, for the umpteenth time, even if this person did not intend to take his life, it is still not the actions of a rational person. Notwithstanding that he could still possibly do something accidental.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 2 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Fantastic and reasoned - if your argument falls down use a swear word.

I don't think I have shown any lack of compassion, I'm just not jumping on the "poor sole - look how understanding I am" bandwagon when they may well be very sinister reasons for this action. I have also not said at any point that I'm correct - just putting across a theory.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 2 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 2 2010, 05:15 PM) *
Fantastic and reasoned - if your argument falls down use a swear word.

1 My argument hasn't fallen down.
2 I haven't used a swear word; perhaps you could explain where my argument fails?

QUOTE (DrPepper @ Oct 2 2010, 05:15 PM) *
I don't think I have shown any lack of compassion, I'm just not jumping on the "poor sole - look how understanding I am" bandwagon when they may well be very sinister reasons for this action. I have also not said at any point that I'm correct.

Nor have I (although I believe it to be narrow minded; which implies half wrong), but I said I think OTE's opinion of yours is wrong. You lack compassion because your point of view fails to make provision for other people that might be connected with this person and what they might feel, let alone what the person might feel himself.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 2 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Until we know who, what and why you can't show compassion on assumptions - not genuine compassion anyway.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:33 PM