6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Police causing the maximum inconvenience, M4 closure
tom1
post Oct 7 2010, 01:27 PM
Post #101

Group: Members
Member No.: 418

I began to wonder with all the trouble caused to untold numbers of people just how long were the police prepared to keep that motorway closed. Granted the man had suicidal tendencies ,but surely thought must be given to this type of situation before another occurrence, with resultant delays.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darren
post Oct 7 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #102

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

Solution?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 7 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #103

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

I don't see how they could have reopened the motorway before they got him off the bridge. It's not just the life of one individual at stake, but if he did jump and landed on or in front of a moving vehicle there could have been untold carnage.

Obviously, the man's life is important, but it goes much further than that.

+Quote Post
DrPepper
post Oct 8 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #104

Advanced Member

Member No.: 776

QUOTE (Darren @ Oct 7 2010, 02:30 PM) *
Solution?

Get one of this big blow up bouncy castle type thingies - used quiet a lot is the USA - then push the fool off, job done in what 45 - 60 minutes. Plenty of time left then to shed a tear and the more worthy of us to rush to his aid and make him "normal" wink.gif

As for the trains, fit them all with a cattle guard and just sweep all the jumpers up - easy.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Oct 8 2010, 08:55 AM
Post #105

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Well the Chinese jumper landed on an airbag. Presumably in this case if police approached from each end of the bridge so he was confined in the airbag area, it would be a viable solution. And if he saw jumping wasn't going to result in what he apparently wanted, he'd be more likely to give himself up on the bridge, anyway. Win win.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Oct 8 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Have only just got round to reading this post and am saddened. The pro jumpers truly believe that their meeting or Tesco shopping trip was worth a man's life. These posters have probably taken the same amount of time out of their busy, 'me I am so terribly important', little lives to complain on this forum, that they took sitting in that traffic jam. I am truly saddened at what so called humanity is coming too.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 15 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #107

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I don't think anyone is pro jumper, they are just questioning whether or not the HOURS of delay for thousands of people could have been prevented.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 15 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #108

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

It should be standard practise to smear thick layers of anti-burglar paint or axle grease on the ledges of all motorway overbridges. That way, if there is a potential jumper who decides to climb on board, they slip straight off for a quick trip to the pearly gates........ None of this hanging around and creating a scene nonsense.... If you're going to do it..Do It!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Oct 15 2010, 06:48 PM
Post #109

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

OK maybe Spartacus is "pro jumping"!
What about thick sticky stuff that bonds them to the bridge so that they can't come off?

+Quote Post
Guest_NWNREADER_*
post Oct 15 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #110

Guests

Did anybody note the report of a person who jumped/fell off a bridge onto the M25 the other day. Carriageway closed for hours, if only for the mess to be cleared up.
Any 'pro-jumpers' ever dealt with the remains of a body after it has been struck by a vehicle/train?

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Oct 15 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #111

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

It's not purdee I'll grant you that.......

It helps if it's raining heavily so that the 'aftermath' gets washed away quicker. The days of the fire service turning up to all RTAs so that they were on hand to 'wash down' the area and sluice away the messy bits (those too small to put in bags) into the nearest drains afterwards, have long gone...

These days it's full body part recovery with all the painstaking H&S protective measures thrown in for the recovery crew. Body fluids aren't washed into drains. They spread absorbent materials down and shovel it into bags once it's done it's work.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Oct 15 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #112

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

...that reminds me, I have that half eaten kebab in the fridge from last night! dry.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
7 User(s) are reading this topic (7 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:42 PM