Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Richard Benyon overterns a ban on battery breeding of pheasants
Andy Capp
post Sep 19 2011, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Mr Benyon: “There were good reasons why we overturned the ban. We have very high standards (of animal welfare requirements) for game birds as we would for all kinds of animals.”

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=17848

I would be interested in what the 'very good reasons' for allowing battery breading of creatures solely for field sport is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Biker1
post Sep 19 2011, 06:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 19 2011, 06:40 PM) *
I would be interested in what the 'very good reasons' for allowing battery breading of creatures solely for field sport is.

Money!! rolleyes.gif
A large number of people will unfortunately pay large sums of money for the "pleasure" of blasting innocent animals out of the sky.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 19 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

If you didn't rear them you wouldn't see them in the fields, they are a game bird, introduced into this countryside for sport. By rights they should all be removed as they are a foreign species.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 19 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 19 2011, 08:02 PM) *
If you didn't rear them you wouldn't see them in the fields, they are a game bird, introduced into this countryside for sport. By rights they should all be removed as they are a foreign species.

These aren't the ones in the fields are they?
These are the ones in battery cages?
Or are they released in the fields when it is time to blast them?
I'm sure there will be a "country sports" enthusiast on here who will enlighten / justify the process.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 19 2011, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 19 2011, 08:02 PM) *

I'd like to know what the good reasons are to rear pheasants in battery conditions.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 19 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 19 2011, 08:23 PM) *
I'd like to know the good reasons are to rear pheasants in battery conditions.

Money, Andy. It is cheaper and more productive to rear in battery conditions.
Good reasons? There are none that I can see, but others who gain the aforesaid pleasure will surely disagree.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 19 2011, 09:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Money is a good reason (for some), but I'd like to think it was the last reason and I believe it is not a good enough one on its own to justify lifting the ban. At the moment I cannot think of a good reason.

I realise this is a potentially hot discussion point, but if i had to eat what I kill, I'd have to be a veggie. Cows, chickens, pigs, and pheasants, have great personalities.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 19 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Sorry, now I'm confused. "but if i had to eat what I kill, I'd have to be a veggie. Cows, chickens, pigs, and pheasants, have great personalities." So this sounds, (and correct me if I'm wrong) like its all right so long as someone else kills it for you ?

let me pose a question, all these fluffy little pheasants we all love to see in the countryside, how do you all think they get there ?? just asking out of interests sake.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 19 2011, 10:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 19 2011, 11:19 PM) *
Sorry, now I'm confused. "but if i had to eat what I kill, I'd have to be a veggie. Cows, chickens, pigs, and pheasants, have great personalities." So this sounds, (and correct me if I'm wrong) like its all right so long as someone else kills it for you ?

No. What I am saying, is that I couldn't kill anything. I am not saying it is all right.

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 19 2011, 11:19 PM) *
let me pose a question, all these fluffy little pheasants we all love to see in the countryside, how do you all think they get there ?? just asking out of interests sake.

They've been naturalised. Furthermore, I fail to see how that justifies battery rearing birds to hunt for leisure.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 19 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Like I said several times already, I'd like to know what were the good reasons why they overturned the ban.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 20 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 19 2011, 10:43 PM) *
I realise this is a potentially hot discussion point, but if i had to eat what I kill, I'd have to be a veggie. Cows, chickens, pigs, and pheasants, have great personalities.

Obviously have never had the pleasure of meeting Richard Beyon.

On a serious point though, what is the issue with killing things to eat? I mean, after all, unwrap all of our modern day niceities and we are carnivores who need to eat meat as part of a diet suitable of growing up big and strong...

Animals should be kept humanely but ultimately I think there's nothing wrong with killing creatures to eat. After all, happens in the wild and if it didn't matter, why would animals spend billions of years evolving into killing machines?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 20 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 20 2011, 12:34 PM) *
Obviously have never had the pleasure of meeting Richard Benyon.

Why "obviously"? He is not a particularly remote figure. I happened to see him walking along Cheap Street this morning. He also knocked on my door during the run-up to the last election.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 20 2011, 01:29 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 20 2011, 12:34 PM) *
Obviously have never had the pleasure of meeting Richard Beyon.

On a serious point though, what is the issue with killing things to eat? I mean, after all, unwrap all of our modern day niceities and we are carnivores who need to eat meat as part of a diet suitable of growing up big and strong...

Animals should be kept humanely but ultimately I think there's nothing wrong with killing creatures to eat. After all, happens in the wild and if it didn't matter, why would animals spend billions of years evolving into killing machines?

It seems you probably haven't read the story. This isn't just about killing things to eat.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 20 2011, 03:02 PM
Post #14

Guests

I'm aware. smile.gif

Just that the posts in the topic were slightly related to that, hence my comment.

FTR I think it's not fair to rear animals just to kill them. Aside from Foxes, no-one cares about them.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 20 2011, 03:03 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Sep 20 2011, 02:29 PM) *
It seems you probably haven't read the story. This isn't just about killing things to eat.

No, it's about cruelly raising animals so that people can gain pleasure from killing things to eat!

+Quote Post
gel
post Sep 20 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

Benyon hasn't the spine to disagree on this overturning of previous policy; I'm sure the set he mixes with, allied to fact he's a landowner will have had no influence angry.gif

Presumably only has compassion for his dogs and not nature's other creatures, that
inhabit this planet with us.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 20 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #17

Guests

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Sep 20 2011, 04:03 PM) *
No, it's about cruelly raising animals so that people can gain pleasure from killing things to eat!

It's OK to kill something to eat it, and if you have fun while killing things then hey, that's fine by me. blink.gif

If you kill something and don't eat it and go "HAR HAR", then not so nice. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 20 2011, 04:55 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

While I don't support either, for me, shooting wild birds, or even worse, battery raised ones, for fun (where there are no legitimate conservation issues) is worse than fox hunting. I am also against fishing for sport and the keeping of exotic animals for pets.

A grumpy old git, me.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Sep 20 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 20 2011, 04:30 PM) *
It's OK to kill something to eat it, and if you have fun while killing things then hey, that's fine by me. blink.gif

If you kill something and don't eat it and go "HAR HAR", then not so nice. huh.gif

It says a lot about a person if they enjoy killing for fun rolleyes.gif .

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 20 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

But people on this forum regularly go to KFC for their food, where do you think the chicken comes from ? Ole Farmer Mc Gregors place ? I think not. A serious case of double standards where animal welfare is concerned.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:04 AM