Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Response to the cuts
Richard Garvie
post Nov 18 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,076

I just want to start a thread (that isn't party political) about the day centre and youth service cuts. I think the paper have covered it very well and lots of in depth coverage allowing all sides to get their views in the paper. Some of the stories from service users are very sad, and if you don't have a copy of the paper yet, go and grab one.

Two examples that are non political. I've spoken to a lot of people about the cuts and how it will affect them. There is genuine concern about the level of personal funding each person will recieve. One lady told me that the only time her daughter gets any time to herself is during the four hours she visits the Ormonde Centre. Without the centre, she fears her daughter will never have any time to herself. The second example was meeting a youth service worker today, who told me that she has lost her job and doesn't know what she will do now. As she is an outreach worker, she fears what impact the withdrawal of this service to certain areas will have.

I guess my main concerns now are what will the seriously disabled do now, what about their carers and what private sector services will pick up the withdrawal of these youth services? I just feel awful about the whole thing, and I genuinely worry about what is going to happen next for these people.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Nov 18 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Nov 18 2010, 04:03 PM) *
I just want to start a thread (that isn't party political) about the day centre and youth service cuts. I think the paper have covered it very well and lots of in depth coverage allowing all sides to get their views in the paper. Some of the stories from service users are very sad, and if you don't have a copy of the paper yet, go and grab one.

Two examples that are non political. I've spoken to a lot of people about the cuts and how it will affect them. There is genuine concern about the level of personal funding each person will recieve. One lady told me that the only time her daughter gets any time to herself is during the four hours she visits the Ormonde Centre. Without the centre, she fears her daughter will never have any time to herself. The second example was meeting a youth service worker today, who told me that she has lost her job and doesn't know what she will do now. As she is an outreach worker, she fears what impact the withdrawal of this service to certain areas will have.

I guess my main concerns now are what will the seriously disabled do now, what about their carers and what private sector services will pick up the withdrawal of these youth services? I just feel awful about the whole thing, and I genuinely worry about what is going to happen next for these people.

Well presented and very real issue. The cuts are likely to hurt most of us and no matter what spin is put, the disadvantaged more than most. However back peddling would be very difficult - as there are likely to be many such stories across the whole spectrum. Rebalancing might provide some of the answer - like cutting the whole of the arts type grants today. Nvertheless, this one is local and concerns real hardship. So is this not something the 'Greenham Gift' could be directed at? That's a pot of cash for community use - which is spent generally on 'added extras'. As charity begins at home - this might provide part of an answer. Similarly, commercial sponsorship shouldn't be ruled out.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Nov 18 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

The truly vulnerable have been kicked very hard where it hurts, while some other areas (where the pain wouldn't be quite so severe and immediately affect the way people are able to exist on a day to day basis) have got away scot-free .............for the time being (or at this moment in time wink.gif ..)

Can it be right for the full service at libraries (including the supply of music CDs for people to copy, latest box office DVDs to watch) to be saved during this tranche of cuts while the day centre staff are put up against the walls of the places where they work and forced to lock the doors forever behind them?

When it comes to supporting the 'needy', why has the emphasis gone towards considering that shelves of Mills & Boon are a higher priority than looking after those in REAL need?

Or is it a ploy to shame us into a rethink on the whole Spending Review?

+Quote Post
the bloke on the...
post Nov 30 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,275

QUOTE (spartacus @ Nov 18 2010, 06:01 PM) *
When it comes to supporting the 'needy', why has the emphasis gone towards considering that shelves of Mills & Boon are a higher priority than looking after those in REAL need?

you really don't like public libraries, do you?

--------------------
you couldn't make it up!

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 1 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 924

Fun as these chats about what to cut are, it's a sure sign of Stockholm syndrome when people start prioritising one taxpayer funded service above another.

Leonard Cheshire, Age Concern, Searchlight and countless charities run day and respite centres across the country a lot cheaper but just as well as councils.

Why is it so difficult to go back to the days (not so long ago) when we did things ourselves? The day centres don't have to close, they could be taken on by the multimillion pound charities already active in our area (Mencap, Age Concern, Scope etc).

--------------------
Newbury's #1 ill-informed internet poster

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 1 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Just been trawling the WBC website and found three gems for you for what's REALLY happening in this financial year.

1. WBC created a new non-job for a 'Domestic Abuse Coordinator' at £35k p.a this year. Why? (dom violence is now a police duty).

2. The education department is heading for an overspend partly due to the early retirement of teachers (they're dipping into the school bus budget to balance the books).

3. They spent £250k on upgrading library computers.

This started me thinking of last month's gems.

Replacing 25 stiles with wheelchair friendly gates to encourage the disabled into the countryside, and the £200k loss created by overcharging for parking spaces.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 1 2010, 04:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (Bofem @ Dec 1 2010, 04:47 PM) *
Just been trawling the WBC website and found three gems for you for what's REALLY happening in this financial year.

1. WBC created a new non-job for a 'Domestic Abuse Coordinator' at £35k p.a this year. Why? (dom violence is now a police duty).

This started me thinking of last month's gems.

Replacing 25 stiles with wheelchair friendly gates to encourage the disabled into the countryside,

Domestic violence requires a partnership between the police and the local authority to provide emergency accommodation for partners and children who cannot stay in a home because of the abuse. Unless you advocate turfing them out onto the street.

Challenge for you. Lift a wheelchair and occupant over a stile, or better still, spend a week in a wheelchair and then criticise.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Dec 1 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Darren @ Dec 1 2010, 04:56 PM) *
Challenge for you. Lift a wheelchair and occupant over a stile, or better still, spend a week in a wheelchair and then criticise.

You make a good point Darren, but I think the thrust of Bofem's post is that this stuff doesn't have to be done by the local authority, it could be done by us. Local government is happy for us to prostrate ourselves in helplessness as they supply our every social need, but time was when we used to help ourselves and each other and our society is the poorer for our dependence on WBC. I'd like to see local government shrinking and empowering us to help ourselves, and west berks ramblers have shown how that works for example on the conservation route.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Darren
post Dec 1 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 61

I see what you mean, but it would still cost as materials need to be bought by someone.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 2 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Just pointing out what's going on beneath the surface while they close day centres (instead of getting charities to run them).

I heard that some of these early-retiring teachers are from our failing schools. Why weren't they sacked?

Couldn't WBC contract with Berkshire Womens Aid and Sovereign to do something meaningful if wife-beating is such a big local problem, rather than tickbox action planning.

There's always another way. It seems our local Tories are as out of step with Cameron as the local Lib Dems are with Clegg.

Come on.....tiny councils and more big society please.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Dec 2 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

Bofem, you give some ideas to think about. My own view isn't too far away, but let me use different examples. The Nature Discovery Centre. Can never be used for anything other than a nature reserve. Have we not thought about given it to a trust or a charity to run? Surely someone like the RSPB would love to own a facility like that, and I'm sure they could run it better than the council can (so why not just give it to them? It's not worth anything in land value). There is a great team of people there, and I'm sure they would progress further with their careers if working for a Wildlife organisation than a public body such as the council.

I can't believe that we didn't think about building the new arts facility behind the museum and the Corn Exchange. You could link the arts facility and museum to allow visiting exhibitions at certain times of year, boosting revenue. The whole lot (Corn Exchange, Arts Facility and Museum) could then be run on an extended 30 / 50 year lease to allow access to national funding streams.

That is just two examples, and there are many more out there that would enhance facilities that are currently operated by the council. Simon suggest self management for the allotments. If it could be done properly, then why not? As Bofem says, lets think outside of the box, and see what we can achieve together. Whether that is Labour, Lib Dem, even Tory. Party badges shouldn't be the important factor in local politics, it should be the issues and doing the right thing.

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Dec 2 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (Bofem @ Dec 2 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Couldn't WBC contract with Berkshire Womens Aid and Sovereign to do something meaningful if wife-beating is such a big local problem, rather than tickbox action planning.

Probably one of the most obtuse statements I've ever read on here. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 2 2010, 11:20 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (massifheed @ Dec 2 2010, 10:45 AM) *
Probably one of the most obtuse statements I've ever read on here.

I must admit that I was a bit nonplussed at the implication that wife-beating is limited to those in social housing.

+Quote Post
Bofem
post Dec 2 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 2 2010, 11:20 AM) *
I must admit that I was a bit nonplussed at the implication that wife-beating is limited to those in social housing.

Sorry, I'll clear that up. I was thinking of the rehousing required in situations where it's too unsafe to stay. I heard Sovereign have some refuge flats in Greenham for this sort of thing, Berkshire Women's Aid could coordinate the promotion needed, and liaise with various public bodies. Just a thought.....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jacklets
post Dec 2 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 97

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 2 2010, 12:20 PM) *

Likewise - surely it's a West Berkshire issue - not just a sovereign housing issue? I am also fairly sure they will already be working in conjunction with BWA.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Dec 2 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Richard Garvie @ Dec 2 2010, 10:29 AM) *
Bofem, you give some ideas to think about. My own view isn't too far away, but let me use different examples. The Nature Discovery Centre. Can never be used for anything other than a nature reserve. Have we not thought about given it to a trust or a charity to run? Surely someone like the RSPB would love to own a facility like that, and I'm sure they could run it better than the council can (so why not just give it to them? It's not worth anything in land value). There is a great team of people there, and I'm sure they would progress further with their careers if working for a Wildlife organisation than a public body such as the council.

I can't believe that we didn't think about building the new arts facility behind the museum and the Corn Exchange. You could link the arts facility and museum to allow visiting exhibitions at certain times of year, boosting revenue. The whole lot (Corn Exchange, Arts Facility and Museum) could then be run on an extended 30 / 50 year lease to allow access to national funding streams.

That is just two examples, and there are many more out there that would enhance facilities that are currently operated by the council. Simon suggest self management for the allotments. If it could be done properly, then why not? As Bofem says, lets think outside of the box, and see what we can achieve together. Whether that is Labour, Lib Dem, even Tory. Party badges shouldn't be the important factor in local politics, it should be the issues and doing the right thing.

This is the sort of thinking we need to invigorate our local services. No I'm not a Labour voter - but this is making it tempting!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Dec 2 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

However, it may well be worth noting that the Government intend to give the Police powers to ban the offending partner from the premises for 48 hours (extendible to 14 days with a Court order)

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Dec 2 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 2 2010, 11:20 AM) *

I was nonplussed at the thought that West Berks needs a full time Domestic Abuse Coordinator. How many men and women get abused in the area to warrant coordinating the services 37.5 hours per week?

+Quote Post
user23
post Dec 2 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Dec 2 2010, 10:13 PM) *
I was nonplussed at the thought that West Berks needs a full time Domestic Abuse Coordinator. How many men and women get abused in the area to warrant coordinating the services 37.5 hours per week?
Are you implying West Berkshire doesn't have enough domestic abuse to warrant a full time Domestic Abuse Coordinator? If so what are you basing this on?

We've also seen jokes about "wife beating" and jibes about non-jobs related to Domestic Abuse in this thread, does anyone actually know how this post is funded? Is it from many different agencies?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 3 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (user23 @ Dec 2 2010, 10:25 PM) *
We've also seen jokes about "wife beating" ... in this thread

Oh? Can you point them out? I have re-read the thread and not found any.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:34 PM