IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Milk price crisis, Recent demonstrations an own goal?
On the edge
post Jul 20 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 98

Dairy farmers have been demonstrating outside milk wholesaler offices because the price they get for milk doesn't even cover the cost of production? Odd really, when in a couple of cases at least, the farmers own (as a co-op) the wholesaler! Shouldn't they be protesting at the head offices of the big supermarkets - after all, that oligopoly sets the purchase price? Or better still, outside DEFRA to try and get the French subsidies stopped. Really is high time our public servants looked after our interests; just like their French and German counterparts.,

--------------------
Know your place!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 20 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Screw 'em, they're all getting loads of EU subsidies anyway, Richard Benyon is a dairy farmer isn't he? How much has he been getting?

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 20 2012, 08:10 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,669

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Screw 'em, they're all getting loads of EU subsidies anyway...

A bit childish and insensitive perhaps. There is a recognised problem about high levels of mental ill-health amongst farmers and their suicide rate.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 20 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

Screw 'em, they're all getting loads of EU subsidies anyway, Richard Benyon is a dairy farmer isn't he? How much has he been getting?

Are you saying the farmers are lying when some say they are likely to go out of business because they are being paid less than it costs to produce? It's certainly not an occupation I would choose, anyway. I'm rather glad there are some prepared to work unsocial hours to produce the milk I drink.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 20 2012, 08:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 20 2012, 09:16 PM) *
Are you saying the farmers are lying when some say they are likely to go out of business because they are being paid less than it costs to produce? It's certainly not an occupation I would choose, anyway.

Basically I guess yes I am saying that.

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 20 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2012, 09:31 PM) *
Basically I guess yes I am saying that.

Strafin, you do make me smile.

You scream "racist" at others, picking apart their comments and accusing them of being intolerant.

But if one smokes, or is gay, or is a farmer - you have no time for them.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jul 20 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I suppose Straifin is only giving the purist Adam Smith view. What really worries me though is our over reliance on imported foodstuffs - there is only one way fuel prices will go over time .

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 20 2012, 09:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jul 20 2012, 10:00 PM) *
I suppose Straifin is only giving the purist Adam Smith view. What really worries me though is our over reliance on imported foodstuffs - there is only one way fuel prices will go over time .

What worries me is those who think farmers are idiots, and that milk and beef comes from Tesco.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 20 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Jul 20 2012, 09:42 PM) *
Strafin, you do make me smile.

You scream "racist" at others, picking apart their comments and accusing them of being intolerant.

But if one smokes, or is gay, or is a farmer - you have no time for them.

I will make the same point again that I made before - I said that JeffG made a racist comment, I did not call him a racist. I also didn't condemn him or condemn racism, I just said that the comment was racist. And I still say it is. I don't hate farmers either, I just know that they get a **** of a lot of subsidies, and whilst on this occasion they may have a right to be moaning, I really can't be bothered to listen to them any more. Plus I'm really grumpy as I am having a hard time at work, but on the upside I am going on holiday in about 12 hours from now smile.gif I'll come back a changed man!

+Quote Post
Newbelly
post Jul 20 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2012, 10:31 PM) *
I will make the same point again that I made before - I said that JeffG made a racist comment, I did not call him a racist. I also didn't condemn him or condemn racism, I just said that the comment was racist. And I still say it is. I don't hate farmers either, I just know that they get a **** of a lot of subsidies, and whilst on this occasion they may have a right to be moaning, I really can't be bothered to listen to them any more. Plus I'm really grumpy as I am having a hard time at work, but on the upside I am going on holiday in about 12 hours from now smile.gif I'll come back a changed man!

I wish you a great holiday.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 20 2012, 09:48 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Aw thanks! As I am going away, I can guarantee you guys an upturn in the weather as well!

+Quote Post
gel
post Jul 20 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 337

QUOTE (Newbelly @ Jul 20 2012, 10:41 PM) *
I wish you a great holiday.

Coop has announced a 2p a litre increase; so a result already.

There is a huge disconnect between amount farmers get paid & what Tesco &
others charge us for it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timbo
post Jul 20 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

I can understand the issue. Well, not directly but I can imagine how it would be like for them, to be operating at almost a zero profit, or even at a loss in some circumstances.

However; there is no point in crying over split milk.
(Sorry. Someone had to say it)

It is, unfortunately and objectively, their career choice. Like on that advert for Butter with a really annoying man..

I'm sure they are aware of a low-profit side of their business. And while milk is, to some, a requirement, you'd be surprised. To me, while not a big drinker of Tea, find it's better on it's own. (without milk). You cannot tell the difference with your cereal, if you replaced milk with water. Infact the only thing I need milk in, is my coffee.

I would not work for a refuge collection company and then go home, complaining I smell.

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Jul 21 2012, 03:16 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

http://www.cobbsfarmshop.co.uk/

Diversity is the key, but many farmers are now not in a position to plough (?), possibly their whole lifes effort into a gamble.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Jul 21 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jul 20 2012, 10:31 PM) *
I said that JeffG made a racist comment, I did not call him a racist

WHAT?? Where? You had better be able to quote chapter and verse.

Edit: I have been back over your posts to the beginning of June and nowhere have I made, or have you accused me of, making a racist comment. I await your grovelling apology.
Edit #2: Looks like I'll have to wait until you return from holiday. I'll draw your attention to this when I see your next post.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jul 22 2012, 05:01 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

I am not an expert on it but according to the farmers - whether they get subsidies or not - is that they will lose money if they are forced to reduce their takings anymore. Some of them already have gone to the wall; why, if you say, they've got subsidies to help them out? It also seems that, according to experts, subsidies or not, they are suffering.

Another thing; I've never heard your argument being used, either by the press or other sources.

By the way. Richard Benyon is rich. What about those that don't have his money to help out?

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jul 22 2012, 07:16 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

I do not propose to bore everyone silly with the history of this predicament nor do I intend to play devils advocate to vested interest but there is a long term embryonic problem associated with the outcome.
The one thing that everyone agreed upon after the last war was that the UK should never be dependant on imported food ever again.Indeed over the next 30 or 40 years production flourished to a respectable zenith by the end of the 1980s.
Then the anti-christ in the form of boy wonder politicians brought the whole system crashing down in the name of EU directives , over production , foot and mouth disease etc. This in turn allowed the now all powerful supermarkets to dictate pricing against the then cheaper imports.
Now at this moment in time the shelves are full, ( no money in pocket to buy it but stay on topic Tup ),and may well stay that way for a year or two but mark my words if our farming industry is allowed to slip into decline then those shelves will quickly empty and replenishment will be with imported goods at world market price.
Just in case someone thinks we can switch back over night.......we can't. sad.gif

Incidentally saying Benyon is a farmer is a misnomer......land owning pillock is a more suitable appellation. wink.gif

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jul 22 2012, 10:40 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

Milk is one of the most subsidised agricultural products within the EU.

Pop over to Andorra & see the real price of milk based products......

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 22 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Jul 21 2012, 10:02 AM) *
WHAT?? Where? You had better be able to quote chapter and verse.

Edit: I have been back over your posts to the beginning of June and nowhere have I made, or have you accused me of, making a racist comment. I await your grovelling apology.
Edit #2: Looks like I'll have to wait until you return from holiday. I'll draw your attention to this when I see your next post.

Maybe it was someone else, sorry Jeff... Jet lag must have broke my brain!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jul 22 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:32 PM