IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parkway parking charges, make sure you keep an eye on the time!
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Today, I queued dutifully waiting for my go to pay the exit charge. The couple in front of me were staggered at the charge to park and spent a while finding sufficient change. I pointed out to them that had they paid a little over a minute sooner, they would have been charged £2.00 less. £4.50 for 3 to 4 hours, as opposed to £6.50 for 4 to 5 hours . They were being charged £6.50 for 4 hours and 1 minute!!! I then put my card in to pay: 2 hours and 2 minutes. Had I been a little over 2 minutes sooner paying (I am not sure if it took 2 minutes to queue), I would have been charged £2.50, as opposed to the £3.50.

Although I had no business in Parkway, I parked in Parkway because the other car parks were busy, as has been the case since Parkway has opened with its pricey parking policy.

I was going to suggest that it would be kind if the car park were to give a few minutes grace, but considering that Parkway only ever seems half full, and that they have just made £3.00 out of a few minutes parking from two customers, I suspect this idea would fall on deaf ears.

I do think though, under the circumstances, that it would be reasonable to pay for the time one parks as opposed the hourly blocks. I do feel ripped-off, as did the couple in front of me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 27 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Where do you draw the line though?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 27 2011, 06:29 PM) *
Where do you draw the line though?

Like I added in my post: pro-rata. £1.00 for 2 minutes (and the £2.00 for 1 minute) at a pay on exit, seems excessive to me; don't you?

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 27 2011, 06:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

I would probably if it was me paying, but I would make sure that I was out and paid before the hour mark because I am tight!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 27 2011, 06:38 PM) *
I would probably if it was me paying, but I would make sure that I was out and paid before the hour mark because I am tight!

Hence the subtitle of the thread, but I still think it is a rip-off, and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I have no interests in the new Parkway, but it seems to have spoiled my previously problem-free shopping in Newbury. It does put me off thinking about going back.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 27 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2011, 07:34 PM) *
Like I added in my post: pro-rata. £1.00 for 2 minutes (and the £2.00 for 1 minute) at a pay on exit, seems excessive to me; don't you?

Thought you were OK with the odd £1 to park Andy - harking back to the NHS parking fees? tongue.gif
Seriously I agree with you as paying to park is one of my pet hates.
It costs enough to keep a car moving let alone paying for it to be standing still!
I can never understand why the shops cannot absorb the cost of parking in order to attract customers as is done at the out of town shopping parks.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2011, 06:47 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 27 2011, 06:41 PM) *
Thought you were OK with the odd £1 to park Andy - harking back to the NHS parking fees? tongue.gif

That is fair comment, although I feel a total of £1.00 to park is reasonable.

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 27 2011, 06:41 PM) *
Seriously I agree with you as paying to park is one of my pet hates. It costs enough to keep a car moving let alone paying for it to be standing still! I can never understand why the shops cannot absorb the cost of parking in order to attract customers as is done at the out of town shopping parks.

I kind of agree, but I don't mind a a pound or so, but with modern charging machines, I'd prefer to pay for what I get, but regardless of the right or wrongs, I still feel like I'm being penalised for putting some money in to the local economy. There is nothing I bought today that I couldn't have got else where without being charged to park.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Dec 27 2011, 07:57 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 27 2011, 06:47 PM) *
That is fair comment, although I feel a total of £1.00 to park is reasonable.

I kind of agree, but I don't mind a a pound or so, but with modern charging machines, I'd prefer to pay for what I get, but regardless of the right or wrongs, I still feel like I'm being penalised for putting some money in to the local economy. There is nothing I bought today that I couldn't have got else where without being charged to park.

There's your answer!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 27 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Dec 27 2011, 07:57 PM) *
There's your answer!

Thanks, but I already know the answer, I just thought my opinion might be food for thought by anyone that might care. wink.gif

While I feel a bit flush with Christmas money at the moment, it isn't so bad, but that will change when I go back to normal rations. Like I said, I think £1.00 for two minutes is excessive. £2.00 for 1 minute is even worse of course!

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Dec 27 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I parked today in West Street, there are loads of private car parks a t 90p an hour and the Northcroft multi-storey had loads of space. Northbrook Street was heaving today and as the Kennet Centre appears to be the favourite car park, good news for Bartholomew Street.

+Quote Post
JMH
post Jan 5 2012, 10:51 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 133

Did you also realise that it's more expensive to park for an hour or less on a Sunday than it is any other day?

£2.00 flat charge on Sunday compared to £1.50 for up to an hour any other day!

Daylight robbery!

Sod's law seems to dictate that my shopping always takes just over the hour rather than just under it!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 5 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Exactly, it is a rip-off.

+Quote Post
lordtup
post Jan 5 2012, 06:41 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 164

Having visited the new shopping centre only twice, ( second time was to return the item I purchased first time ) ,the parking fee was not immediately apparent but the whole place was deserted . Compare this to the queuing at the retail park by Tescos and the answer is as plain as the proverbial .
But apparently not to those in charge.

--------------------
Rem tene verba sequentur

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 5 2012, 06:58 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (lordtup @ Jan 5 2012, 06:41 PM) *
Having visited the new shopping centre only twice, ( second time was to return the item I purchased first time ) ,the parking fee was not immediately apparent but the whole place was deserted . Compare this to the queuing at the retail park by Tescos and the answer is as plain as the proverbial .
But apparently not to those in charge.

I haven't been into the Parkway car park, and I avoid the retail park like the plague on Saturdays (and most other days) - it may be free but it is truly dreadful at times, I'd much rather pay to park and shop in town.

Parking charges will always have those points where you go from one time period to the next and end up paying for significantly more car parking time than you use. A fairer system would charge in ten minute slots, rather than hour or two hour slots. Of course that would reduce the parking income unless they put the prices up.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 5 2012, 07:20 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 5 2012, 06:58 PM) *
I haven't been into the Parkway car park, and I avoid the retail park like the plague on Saturdays (and most other days) - it may be free but it is truly dreadful at times, I'd much rather pay to park and shop in town.

Parking charges will always have those points where you go from one time period to the next and end up paying for significantly more car parking time than you use. A fairer system would charge in ten minute slots, rather than hour or two hour slots. Of course that would reduce the parking income unless they put the prices up.

If I may, I'd like to return to the original story. The couple in front of me (who may have been waiting to pay while someone was in front of them), had to pay £2.00 because they were 1 minute into the new zone. After the couple in front of me finished paying (it was more than expected and they were fishing for change), I was charged £1.00 extra for being 2 minutes in to a new time zone.

That is just unacceptable.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 5 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I have to disagree with you Andy, I can see your point but if you are that bothered why didn't you come back with a few more minutes to spare so that you didn't creep into the next time zone?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 5 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ Jan 5 2012, 07:41 PM) *
I have to disagree with you Andy, I can see your point but if you are that bothered why didn't you come back with a few more minutes to spare so that you didn't creep into the next time zone?

What is is it you don't agree with me about it being unacceptable?

I have a better idea than yours, I don't go there.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Jan 5 2012, 08:03 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 5 2012, 07:49 PM) *
What is is it you don't agree with me about it being unacceptable?

I have a better idea than yours, I don't go there.

Looking at the parking spaces available boards along the roads nor do a lot of others! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jan 5 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 5 2012, 07:20 PM) *
If I may, I'd like to return to the original story. The couple in front of me (who may have been waiting to pay while someone was in front of them), had to pay £2.00 because they were 1 minute into the new zone. After the couple in front of me finished paying (it was more than expected and they were fishing for change), I was charged £1.00 extra for being 2 minutes in to a new time zone.

That is just unacceptable.

Where do you draw the line? 5 minutes, 20 minutes? Rules is rules. Presumably you'd have the same complaint in a Council car park?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 5 2012, 08:48 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jan 5 2012, 08:35 PM) *
Where do you draw the line? 5 minutes, 20 minutes? Rules is rules. Presumably you'd have the same complaint in a Council car park?

I think it shabby that with this 'nice new modern shopping precinct' one cannot pay for what one uses. 10p per 6 minutes over (£1.00 ph, pro-rata) seems fine to me.

So you as well think it is acceptable to charge £1.00 for 2 minutes excess (or £2.00 for 1 minute excess in the case of the people in front of me. £6.50 for 4 hours and one minute (£4.50 for 4 hours), for the 'privilege' to park and shop)?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:21 AM