> Enborne Road - MUD
pinkfluffyclouds
post Mar 7 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 881

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/man-kil...bury#comment-47

This road is now so dangerous it is like running the gauntlet every time you have to travel down it and there have been numerous accidents recently. The tractors and busses tear up there too fast and cars simply don’t have anywhere to go. As for the road being swept !!! What can I say the roadsweepers are just as much of a hazard as the tractors. I encountered one the other day doing a 3 point turn at the top of the hill where the tractors are turning into the driveway and all they are doing is smearing the mud further all over the road not actually picking it up. I am going to complain to the Council and will call the company to complain about the speed of the tractors and lack of cleaning so can I ask all of you who use it do likewise. We have to unite on this one and do all we can to get them to rectify the problems.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
desres123
post Mar 8 2012, 04:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

QUOTE (pinkfluffyclouds @ Mar 7 2012, 01:32 PM) *
http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/2012/man-kil...bury#comment-47

This road is now so dangerous it is like running the gauntlet every time you have to travel down it and there have been numerous accidents recently. The tractors and busses tear up there too fast and cars simply don’t have anywhere to go. As for the road being swept !!! What can I say the roadsweepers are just as much of a hazard as the tractors. I encountered one the other day doing a 3 point turn at the top of the hill where the tractors are turning into the driveway and all they are doing is smearing the mud further all over the road not actually picking it up. I am going to complain to the Council and will call the company to complain about the speed of the tractors and lack of cleaning so can I ask all of you who use it do likewise. We have to unite on this one and do all we can to get them to rectify the problems.

I did complain to the council regarding the amount of mud on the road and perhaps they should insist that the contractors place a wheel washer before tractors went onto the road but I would have been better of talking to the talking clock.
Regarding tractors and buses driving too fast i drive along the enborne rd on a daily basis and to be honest the bus does no more than 30 mph and does try and move as close to the side to let me through and I havent seen 1 tractor doing more than 20 mph especially when the trailer is full so claiming buses and tractors are travelling to fast is abit far fetched.
I agree that the state of the road is in a bad way and the council should get off their fat a**** and take action as there is going to be a serious accident sooner rather than later if no action is taken just like there was a 2 or 3 years ago which was caused by mud!!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Mar 8 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #3

Guests

If they cut the speed limit by 20mph everything will be hunky-dory again.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 8 2012, 05:39 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I think they ought to bring back The Locomotive Act 1865 for these circumstances and Enborne Road in particular.

The 1865 Act required all road locomotives, which included automobiles, to travel at a maximum of 4 mph (6 km/h) in the country and 2 mph (3 km/h) in towns and have a crew of three travel, one of whom should carry a red flag walking 60 yards (55 m) ahead of each vehicle.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 8 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 8 2012, 05:39 PM) *
I think they ought to bring back The Locomotive Act 1865 for these circumstances and Enborne Road in particular.

And, if my memory is correct, despite all that there was a lady knocked down and killed........ (I wasn't there. just read a story)

+Quote Post
Gooner72
post Mar 8 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,038

I travel along Enborne Road regularly and while the mud on the road is a hazard, with proper perception and adjusting individual driving style to suit the conditions, ie reducing your own speed and leaving sufficient gap between you and the vehicle in front, that road can be negotiated safely!!!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 8 2012, 09:13 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Gooner72 @ Mar 8 2012, 09:08 PM) *
I travel along Enborne Road regularly and while the mud on the road is a hazard, with proper perception and adjusting individual driving style to suit the conditions, ie reducing your own speed and leaving sufficient gap between you and the vehicle in front, that road can be negotiated safely!!!

As is the case with all roads and driving! smile.gif

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 8 2012, 09:45 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (Gooner72 @ Mar 8 2012, 09:08 PM) *

Spot on!!

DESRES
I agree that the state of the road is in a bad way and the council should get off their fat a**** and take action as there is going to be a serious accident sooner rather than later if no action is taken just like there was a 2 or 3 years ago which was caused by mud!!

Take note, big time, cos mud does NOT cause accidents. People do. Your comment suggests that someone else is to blame?

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 8 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (x2lls @ Mar 8 2012, 09:45 PM) *
Take note, big time, cos mud does NOT cause accidents. People do. Your comment suggests that someone else is to blame?

It's always someone else's fault these days. rolleyes.gif
You can see it in every car park if you take a look at some of the rubber on the parked cars. A surprising number of people driving around on tyres which are virtual slicks, with the owner determined to get every last penny out of them - and then a couple of hundred miles more. When they hit a patch of mud, or there's a heavy downpour, and they go careering off into the kerb (or worse) it's always because of the 'mud on the road that the frickin council didn't sweep up', never because of the tyres that should have been binned months ago.......

+Quote Post
x2lls
post Mar 8 2012, 10:33 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 8 2012, 10:16 PM) *
You can see it in every car park if you take a look at some of the rubber on the parked cars. A surprising number of people driving around on tyres which are virtual slicks, with the owner determined to get every last penny out of them - and then a couple of hundred miles more. When they hit a patch of mud, or there's a heavy downpour, and they go careering off into the kerb (or worse) it's always because of the 'mud on the road that the frickin council didn't sweep up', never because of the tyres that should have been binned months ago.......

dry.gif Is that a conclusion or assumption!!! blink.gif

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Mar 8 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (desres123 @ Mar 8 2012, 04:42 PM) *
......is taken just like there was a 2 or 3 years ago which was caused by mud!!

If I remember correctly that was 'caused' by speed, or driving too fast for the conditions. The driver of a transit came round the corner at speed early in the morning (6am), hit the high verge and spun into a car coming the other way killing the teenage driver Joseph Luckett.
Fatal RTA 2 Nov 2007

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Mar 8 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 8 2012, 10:50 PM) *
If I remember correctly that was 'caused' by speed, or driving too fast for the conditions. The driver of a transit came round the corner at speed early in the morning (6am), hit the high verge and spun into a car coming the other way killing the teenage driver Joseph Luckett.
Fatal RTA 2 Nov 2007

What does 'at speed' mean? Were there signs out warning of slippery road surface?

+Quote Post
desres123
post Mar 8 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,528

QUOTE (x2lls @ Mar 8 2012, 09:45 PM) *
Spot on!!

DESRES

well maybe i worded it wrong but when there is mud on the road it will contribute to car/bus not being able to brake/steer correctly and thus cause/contribute to an accident. I am not trying to place blame elsewhere not even at the councils doorstep just stating they dont have much interest

+Quote Post
part time
post Mar 9 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 171

Whats going on in the field up there anyway?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 9 2012, 09:45 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (part time @ Mar 9 2012, 07:54 AM) *

According to the story the thread is based on, dredging of the K&A.......

Often such works involve the installation of a wheel-washer prior to entering the highway.....

+Quote Post
Mark NWN
post Mar 9 2012, 09:47 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 907

QUOTE (part time @ Mar 9 2012, 07:54 AM) *

They are dredging the Kennet and Avon Canal and spreading the soil etc on nearby fields.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Mar 9 2012, 10:11 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Mark NWN @ Mar 9 2012, 09:47 AM) *
They are dredging the Kennet and Avon Canal and spreading the soil etc on nearby fields.

.....and roads....

Anyone know why a wheel washer was not a requirement?

+Quote Post
Mark NWN
post Mar 9 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 907

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Mar 9 2012, 10:11 AM) *
.....and roads....

Anyone know why a wheel washer was not a requirement?

I do not know the answer myself but I can certainly ask the question.

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post Mar 9 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

QUOTE (spartacus @ Mar 8 2012, 10:16 PM) *

Seriously I can't believe you even said that !!!!!!! My tyres are virtually all brand new but you know what mud is slippery and when I have to pull over so far to the left that two of my wheels are in the mud my car has no grip and slides about and it is even worse if I even touch my brakes ......

QUOTE (desres123 @ Mar 8 2012, 04:42 PM) *
Regarding tractors and buses driving too fast i drive along the enborne rd on a daily basis and to be honest the bus does no more than 30 mph and does try and move as close to the side to let me through and I havent seen 1 tractor doing more than 20 mph especially when the trailer is full so claiming buses and tractors are travelling to fast is abit far fetched.

You should have been driving down the road with me this morning then the bus came tearing round the corner without a bye or leave (this is the corner that has SLOW written on the road where that unfortunate accident happened last year). Two of the cars in front of me both hit the verge in an attempt to not be side swiped by it. I am not saying all the tractors also tear up and down with no care in the world but I would say out of the 20 or so I have encountered at least half have been going way too fast for the conditions.

+Quote Post
HJD
post Mar 10 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (desres123 @ Mar 8 2012, 11:32 PM) *
well maybe i worded it wrong but when there is mud on the road it will contribute to car/bus not being able to brake/steer correctly and thus cause/contribute to an accident. I am not trying to place blame elsewhere not even at the councils doorstep just stating they dont have much interest

It's not so clever either if you happen to be riding a motorcycle as you might well imagine. angry.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:45 AM