Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another West Berkshire pub closes
Good Boy Racer
post May 27 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22

Hey, not to laugh so much at this terrible tragic news but it was only yesterday late afternoon i went to this pub after hearing about a great deal that was on which was a Curry and Pint for £5. As we turned up, we noticed it was very dark inside with a scary looking man inside waving at us as we looked in. The place was definitely closed so we decided to leave while laughing and saying, ''should we take the banner that says meal and pint for £5, they aint going to need it?''

--------------------
"Quick, Hide something that looks like fun!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2010, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Hilarious.

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post May 27 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=13435

Here is the link to the article.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 27 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

So why is another pub going under thought to be amusing?

Edit: from the same article - I didn't know the Catherine Wheel had closed too.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post May 27 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

use em or lose em

+Quote Post
pinkfluffyclouds
post May 27 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 881

Can't really say I am surprised. My husband and I give a pub three chances and if they don't meet our expectations (which are not that high) then we don't bother going any more. They tried the carvery and we went along and the food was cold, rock hard and quite frankly I wouldn't have given it to a pig. It is a shame we need the rural pubs but they need to work at getting in our custom too and shoddy meals don't work. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 27 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

A lot of people think they can go into a pub and make a success of it with no experience whatsoever, I don't know the history of this one just making a general comment. Food is particularly tricky to do because you have to please your customer not yourself.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 27 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 27 2010, 06:57 PM) *
So why is another pub going under thought to be amusing?

Edit: from the same article - I didn't know the Catherine Wheel had closed too.

The Catherine Wheel and Three Horseshoes were run by the same people - who seem to have split up and gone bust all in one go. The pub owners (Enterprise?) are apparently aiming to reopen them soon if they can find new landlords (a big if these days).

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 28 2010, 01:43 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (JeffG @ May 27 2010, 06:57 PM) *
I didn't know the Catherine Wheel had closed too.
A shame when it's an old pub going to the wall, but The Catherine Wheel wasn't exactly a classy boozer for an aspiring up-market market town like Newbury was it....

Catered for a 'particular taste' ....and it helped if your 'taste preference' included a dash of vinegar in your bitter....(blurgh...) and it catered for a particular socio-economic group too

Talking of classy boozers and the struggles some are having, is The Red House in Argyle Road still a going concern? I've walked past it a couple of times but never even looked through the window.... Strange how it's surviving (assuming it is?) when it's tucked away down there....

+Quote Post
JeffG
post May 28 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (spartacus @ May 28 2010, 02:43 AM) *
A shame when it's an old pub going to the wall, but The Catherine Wheel wasn't exactly a classy boozer for an aspiring up-market market town like Newbury was it....

Well, I thought it all depended on the economics, not who frequented a place. Perhaps those who'd like to keep "them" all in one place should have made a donation smile.gif

is The Red House in Argyle Road still a going concern?

Yes, it still has a regular clientèle, though doesn't open as much as some other places.

Strange how it's surviving (assuming it is?) when it's tucked away down there....

Perhaps it's a true "local", not catering for the town centre riff-raff? wink.gif

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 28 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

The Catherine Wheel will probably reopen fairly soon - reading between the lines the closure seems more to do with the landlords' marital problems than the trading conditions.

Talking of classy boozers and the struggles some are having, is The Red House in Argyle Road still a going concern? I've walked past it a couple of times but never even looked through the window.... Strange how it's surviving (assuming it is?) when it's tucked away down there....

It still opens regularly, serves a nice pint too. But it's in Hampton Road, not Argyle Road.

+Quote Post
Blake
post May 28 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

The Catherine Wheel would do well to go upmarket and become a gastro pub.

The place looked like an awfully downmarket relic of the 1970s. I would not have prodded it with a large pole!

+Quote Post
x2lls
post May 28 2010, 11:21 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 511

You can't go very wrong by giving 'The Taste of England' a try. Good location, no parking problems, a plant nursery next door too.
Good food and friendly locals.
Also, as of this weekend, boot sales in the field by the lane.

--------------------
There their, loose loser!

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 28 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

A couple of years back you could also pick of few punnets of strawberries between pints. 'Twas a good opportunity to earn brownie points with Mrs Spartacus and take the kids out of her hair for an afternoon. Little did she realise that the Pick Your Own Strawberries field was within easy watching distance from 'The Taste of England'. Kids happy, daddy happy....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:53 PM