Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Truly local gigs. No NWN publicity.
Guest_Bill1_*
post Apr 1 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Guests

Last week I went to see three bands at the first event of its kind at Ace Space St Nicholas Road.

Tonight I'm going to a Battle Of The Bands heat at Avenue Sadlers Court.

Neither event got a mention in the N2 gig guide in the NWN.

Why is this?

What happened to the Teen Spirit part of the supplement?

Why are there hardly any local gig reviews anymore?

When I go to these pages I want to see what music etc is on locally, not just in Swidon, Oxford, Southampton etc etc.

It's a real shame because there is so much local talent treading the boards both locally and further afield at the moment. Even the local radio station has picked up on this and has a Sunday night one hour show dedicated to it.

I'm guessing that both the NWN and the actual event organisers could do more to promote truly local gigs etc.

Both need to pull their finger out.

The NWN has been reporting on the Ace Space's events since before it was called the Ace Space!
We have been asked in the past not to promote certain events there because they were becoming too popular. Similarly we have given the Battle of Bands and The Avenue plenty of coverage - as we should - and will continue to do so as long as we keep getting sent the information. Regarding reviews, it was becoming increasingly difficult to find reviewers (apart from you Bill!) to write the reviews. We may look at that again in the coming months for the website.
Admin.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CBW137Y
post Apr 1 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 223

QUOTE (Bill1 @ Apr 1 2010, 01:25 PM) *
Last week I went to see three bands at the first event of its kind at Ace Space St Nicholas Road.

Tonight I'm going to a Battle Of The Bands heat at Avenue Sadlers Court.

Neither event got a mention in the N2 gig guide in the NWN.

Why is this?

In fairness, it's as much the event promoters responsibility to engage the local media, as it is the local media to learn what is happening around the area. When I was promoting in town, (almost) every gig was published in the NWN, and during the time I was putting on gigs, I built up a raport with Catriona/Helen who used to write the Teen Spirit section (not sure if Helen's still there.....it's been a couple of years now!).

So, if the promoters/venue managers aren't getting in touch with the paper and doing their job which is promoting, then you've got at least half the reason the gigs aren't listed. It's not fair to the bands when promoters don't do their job properly, either.

Hey ho...

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post Apr 1 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Guests

I agree, in fact I did mention promoters responsibilities too.

Catriona left the paper years ago, but still does comedy reviews and as for Helen, I'm not sure.

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 2 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

Promoters rely less and less on traditional media these days as they can cut out the middle man using social media and talk to those who are interested in their events directly.

Local organisations and establishments like Keep Off The Grass and Avenue do this to great effect.

Of course one day you'll get all of your local news through social media which will give you a more actuate picture of what's really going on as the need to sensationalise to sell papers or advertising will be removed, but that's a whole new thread entirely. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 2 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 20

QUOTE (user23 @ Apr 2 2010, 11:38 AM) *
...as the need to sensationalise to sell papers or advertising will be removed, but that's a whole new thread entirely. wink.gif

I think you will find advertising (look to the right) is a simply moving, not disappearing and sensationalism exists in the amateur domain, just as in any other area. Think of newbury.net and indeed this site, for examples.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 2 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 2 2010, 11:48 AM) *
I think you will find advertising (look to the right)

All I have to the right of my screen is just a strip of white space - thanks to Adblock+ smile.gif

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 2 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 2 2010, 01:32 PM) *
All I have to the right of my screen is just a strip of white space - thanks to Adblock+ smile.gif

Fair enough, so it wont be long before we have no sites then! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Roost
post Apr 3 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 2 2010, 12:32 PM) *

And why look to the right of the screen when you too can advertise in your posts!!!!

tongue.gif

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 3 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Roost @ Apr 3 2010, 04:12 PM) *
And why look to the right of the screen when you too can advertise in your posts!!!! tongue.gif

Not really an ad when it's a standard free add-on for Firefox. smile.gif

(Whoops! Is that an ad for Firefox?)

+Quote Post
Roost
post Apr 4 2010, 03:47 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 31

I think it may be!

Quick, charge the manufacturors copious amounts of money you naughty boy!

--------------------
Roost

Welcome to the jungle....

+Quote Post
Chelsea Greg
post Apr 30 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 854

The reason most of these bands get little to no press coverage is the age range they cater to is far younger than that of the average NWN reader/staff member. Most NWN readers would be incapable of getting to a local gig unless the promise of a crib night and fish supper was included in the ticket price. The newbury music scene died several years ago and will continue to wither to nothing whilst the over forties hold sway in newbury's failing art scene. Terrible when you think about it but the way of the world...

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 30 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Notwithstanding, most teenagers probably don't even know what the NWN is! It is not the medium of the young ones! wink.gif

+Quote Post
misc
post Apr 30 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 729

QUOTE (Iommi @ Apr 30 2010, 12:47 PM) *
Notwithstanding, most teenagers probably don't even know what the NWN is! It is not the medium of the young ones! wink.gif

Paying for news? Unthinkable!

Bad luck, Rupert... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_Newburymafia_*
post Apr 30 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #14

Guests

Bill, I don't know where you get the idea that there's loads of talent in Newbury...as far as the live music scene goes.

There are two or three really decent original bands from Newbury at the moment, at best, but you wouldn't know it because they dont advertise the fact that they're from around here and certainly dont play here.

I'm so bored of seeing the same old lacklustre "pub" bands groan their way through covers or pub rock "originals" at the cramped uninspiring watering holes of Newbury. So much so that a live band has become the reason NOT to go into any given pub.

This is due to two reasons:

1. There are no DECENT live music VENUES in Newbury anymore.

2. The "scene", or distinct lack of, is frankly a bit embarrasing if you're in a band aspiring to appeal to a greater audience than the P**sheads of good ol' Noobz.

Here's the bit where I sound old.....

Back in the days of the Waterside (Circa 1999 - 2003), younger bands had a real incentive to learn to play because they were rewarded with a decent venue, a decent PA system, good promotion and MOST IMPORTANTLY, a headline act that drew a crowd - often from out of town.

You don't even have to go to venues as far away as London to see the difference the above makes. Look at the Oakford Social Club or Play in Reading. Both are run by enthusiastic young promoters (ala Monkeysuit) that assemble creative bills rather than simply regurgitating the same old bands week in, week out.

Here's the unashamedly ageist bit. Unfortunately the current "promoters" of Newbury, bless them, are either too far past it, seedy bar owners who wouldn't know musical prowess if it bit them on the backside, or on the wrong end of 25 without ever having left Newbury to see a real gig.

Also - I cannot emphasise the importance of a decent PA, engineer, stage and good stage management enough! Avenue is starting to get there, which is encouraging.

Newbury needs a regular night at a good capacity ticketed venue worth coming to, with some decent signed headliners, if it wants to get back on the map musically. Supporting a professional band to a crowd of 3-400 people is far more incentive to improve for young bands than wasting a night playing to drunks in a pub. (Please don't think i'm unfairly targeting drunks in pubs. To do so would be hypocrisy)

If I wasn't poor as dirt and start up capital wasn't an issue - and I reckon you need a budget of about £1.5k for the first night of the above - then I'd do it myself.

Rant over.

PS NWN - Having been in a Newbury band, getting a bit of coverage in Teen Spirit was an exciting accolade. Can I suggest that "teen spirit" is dropped though if the column is ever brought back to life. Keep up the good work!

+Quote Post
Chris_At_The_Ret...
post Apr 30 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 860

QUOTE (Newburymafia @ Apr 30 2010, 03:19 PM) *
I'm so bored of seeing the same old lacklustre "pub" bands groan their way through covers or pub rock "originals" at the cramped uninspiring watering holes of Newbury. So much so that a live band has become the reason NOT to go into any given pub.

I couldn't agree more, pub bands in berkshire generally are dreary pushing out the same old dadrock cobblers. Venues and promoters need to be more daring in their choice of bands.

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 30 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Chris_At_The_Retreat @ Apr 30 2010, 06:27 PM) *
I couldn't agree more, pub bands in berkshire generally are dreary pushing out the same old dadrock cobblers. Venues and promoters need to be more daring in their choice of bands.
Have you both visited Avenue?

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Apr 30 2010, 10:11 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

Is Battle of the Bands still running? This was a good showcase for young Newbury talent.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Apr 30 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

Yes, I believe there is a competition in Victoria Park this coming bank holiday Monday.

+Quote Post
Iommi
post Apr 30 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Chelsea Greg @ Apr 30 2010, 01:19 PM) *
The reason most of these bands get little to no press coverage is the age range they cater to is far younger than that of the average NWN reader/staff member. Most NWN readers would be incapable of getting to a local gig unless the promise of a crib night and fish supper was included in the ticket price. The newbury music scene died several years ago and will continue to wither to nothing whilst the over forties hold sway in newbury's failing art scene. Terrible when you think about it but the way of the world...

I'm interested in this esoteric music you speak of. Do do have any links to typical examples of the sort of thing you'd like to see in Newbury?

+Quote Post
Guest_Bill1_*
post May 1 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #20

Guests

I am well over 25, but thoroughly enjoyed the Battle Of The Bands semi finals at Avenue last night, people shouldn't stereotype as far as age goes.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:07 AM