Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2016, 06:08 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

A letter from Tesco I found on Facebook:

Hi Debbie,

In the UK anyone carrying out slaughter must ensure that the animal is stunned before the slaughter takes place. There are however long-standing provisions in UK law which, subject to specific requirements, allow the slaughter of animals without stunning to meet Jewish and Muslim religious requirements.

We require all slaughter processes for Tesco branded products to meet our stringent animal welfare requirements, without exception. In every case, the animal is stunned before slaughter. We do however, in some stores, sell branded meat or host concessions that sell halal and kosher meat.

Some customers specifically ask us about the halal and kosher meat we sell and in particular whether the animals killed according to these methods will be stunned before slaughter. We have included some information below which we hope will help those customers who have queries.

Halal meat can come from both animals which are stunned and un-stunned before slaughter.

Like all other major UK supermarkets, we source from suppliers who serve Muslim as well as non-Muslim customers. Some of these suppliers process all their meat to Halal standards which allows them to export parts of the carcass not used by European customers to the Middle East, minimising food waste. For example, the vast majority of New Zealand lamb is processed to Halal standards. All the meat we sell from these suppliers is stunned before slaughter; the only difference being that Halal meat has received a blessing. We do not specify to these suppliers that halal practices, such as a blessing, should be followed; we therefore believe it would be misleading for all customers to label the meat as halal.

Kaz - Customer Care
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2016, 06:11 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Bearing in mind recent meat supply scandals, can we really be confident about the source of our meat, regardless of labelling?

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 29 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

Hah! I wonder if the horsemeat they put into their lasagne was halal??

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 29 2016, 06:55 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2016, 06:08 PM) *
A letter from Tesco I found on Facebook:

Hi Debbie,

In the UK anyone carrying out slaughter must ensure that the animal is stunned before the slaughter takes place. There are however long-standing provisions in UK law which, subject to specific requirements, allow the slaughter of animals without stunning to meet Jewish and Muslim religious requirements.

We require all slaughter processes for Tesco branded products to meet our stringent animal welfare requirements, without exception. In every case, the animal is stunned before slaughter. We do however, in some stores, sell branded meat or host concessions that sell halal and kosher meat.

Some customers specifically ask us about the halal and kosher meat we sell and in particular whether the animals killed according to these methods will be stunned before slaughter. We have included some information below which we hope will help those customers who have queries.

Halal meat can come from both animals which are stunned and un-stunned before slaughter.

Like all other major UK supermarkets, we source from suppliers who serve Muslim as well as non-Muslim customers. Some of these suppliers process all their meat to Halal standards which allows them to export parts of the carcass not used by European customers to the Middle East, minimising food waste. For example, the vast majority of New Zealand lamb is processed to Halal standards. All the meat we sell from these suppliers is stunned before slaughter; the only difference being that Halal meat has received a blessing. We do not specify to these suppliers that halal practices, such as a blessing, should be followed; we therefore believe it would be misleading for all customers to label the meat as halal.

Kaz - Customer Care

Im sure "Kaz" in customer care has a working knowledge of what Tesco slaughter houses do..... Then again shes probably pain £7.80 an hour to repeat the tesco brand "mantra". And if she didnt she'd it "may" hinder any possible chance of a promotion...😕

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

As far as I know, Tesco have no slaughter houses; however, according to the spiel, all Tesco supplied meat is stunned before slaughter.

But for me, critising halal slaughter is like criticising murderers using a knife instead of a gun.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 29 2016, 07:38 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2016, 07:04 PM) *
But for me, critising halal slaughter is like criticising murderers using a knife instead of a gun.

You dont condemn halal slaughter then....ok with you?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 29 2016, 07:51 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2016, 08:04 PM) *

Eh?? unsure.gif
We are talking about the slaughter of animals here for meat not murder!
Animals slaughtered in the conventional way (if there is a better way to put it) are (should be) stunned before slaghter.
Halal method cruelly kills them with a crude knife while still concious, in the name of religion. Horrible!
So yes, I do condemn halal slaughter. It is not part of British culture or morality! angry.gif

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 29 2016, 08:05 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 29 2016, 07:51 PM) *
It is not part of British culture or morality! angry.gif

Give it a few years... The Andy and Newres apologists will make it the norm. All the while chasing a few dozen knobs on horseback in the Countryside shouting "shame".

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2016, 09:21 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 29 2016, 08:05 PM) *
Give it a few years... The Andy and Newres apologists will make it the norm. All the while chasing a few dozen knobs on horseback in the Countryside shouting "shame".

You are being idiotic!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 29 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2016, 09:21 PM) *
You are being idiotic!

Why? Please explain. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2016, 11:06 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 29 2016, 09:24 PM) *
Why? Please explain. laugh.gif

Because you are offering stupid comments about me that have no reasonable foundation.

I believe it hypocritical to object to certain methods of slaughter over another. To me it is all slaughter and all to some extent cruel.

However, being halal meat doesn't necessarily mean the creature was not stunned before slaughter. at the last count it is thought that ~84% of religious slaughter in the UK involved stunning before slaughter.

All that being said, I have little faith in the animal welfare agencies being able to uphold good animal treatment.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 29 2016, 11:18 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 29 2016, 07:51 PM) *
Eh?? unsure.gif
We are talking about the slaughter of animals here for meat not murder!

According to my girlfriend and I would imagine most vegetarians and the like would say slaughter for meat is murder!

Animals slaughtered in the conventional way (if there is a better way to put it) are (should be) stunned before slaghter.
Halal method cruelly kills them with a crude knife while still concious, in the name of religion. Horrible!
So yes, I do condemn halal slaughter. It is not part of British culture or morality! angry.gif

Well according to reports most halal slaughter in the UK involves stunning first.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 29 2016, 11:57 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 29 2016, 11:18 PM) *
According to my girlfriend and I would imagine most vegetarians and the like would say slaughter for meat is murder!

Well according to reports most halal slaughter in the UK involves stunning first.

Only one thing for it... As we cant trust where our meat comes from better go hunting...🐎😮

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Dec 30 2016, 10:04 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (je suis Charlie @ Dec 29 2016, 05:47 PM) *
Thanks, good input.

A few links so you don't just have to take my word for it. A caveat: some are from the Daily Mail and date back to 2010.

2014, Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2...outstrip-demand
2014, Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10...halal-meat.html
2014, Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/fo...halal-meat.html
2014, Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-26...ot-stunned.html
2010, Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13...laughtered.html

Some of the comments on a 2015 Express article are pretty illiterate. There is one from someone who qualifies for the "nutjob" accolade: "How much of the sales [of halal meat] go towards funding terrorism?"
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/583152/ve...pean-Commission

Edit: I had not noticed the second page before putting this together. Having read the comments above, maybe the supermarkets have put their house in order.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Dec 30 2016, 10:16 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 30 2016, 12:18 AM) *

Murder - "the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another".

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 30 2016, 12:18 AM) *

Interesting. I hope you're right.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2016, 11:34 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Dec 30 2016, 10:16 AM) *
Murder - "the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another

That is the legal definition; however, many feel as strong about all killing of sentient beings. Those people feel just as appalled at our eating of killed animals as you do about a bunch of berks employing inefficient methods of catching a fox for fun.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Dec 30 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Dec 30 2016, 10:04 AM) *
Having read the comments above, maybe the supermarkets have put their house in order.

They claim to have done and some research backs that up, but I have little faith in the finding's veracity, hence my reluctance to criticise one culture's slaughter methods over others', but I would never endorse stunning-free slaughter.

Before we all get smug about our Christian values and humane treatment of animals we eat, I challenge you to watch the abundance of documentaries and footage of western style slaughter houses. Notwithstanding the devastating effect meat eating has on our ecosystem.

I think if I had to kill and butcher my own meat I'd be a vegetarian.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Dec 30 2016, 07:46 PM
Post #38

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Dec 30 2016, 11:39 AM) *
I think if I had to kill and butcher my own meat I'd be a vegetarian.

Nothing to stop you Andy if thats the way you feel.

+Quote Post
je suis Charlie
post Dec 31 2016, 12:56 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,530

I used to do a lot of shooting and fishing and strangely enough it tought me to respect what I killed, used every morsel and, if I couldn't use it I didn't kill it. It's strange what dressing out your own meat will do to your concept of available protien.

+Quote Post
newres
post Dec 31 2016, 07:29 AM
Post #40

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,961

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Dec 29 2016, 08:05 PM) *

Actually I have no view on hunting really. It's not something I'd do as I don't like horses or killing things. Although I eat meat I really feel uncomfortable with all slaughter. I'm no lover of Muslims as you portray than I am a lover of Catholics and certainly don't like the thought of unnecessary suffering although I'm not sure that in paractice Halal is any more cruel than our own slaughterhouses.

Sorry to not fit your stereotype.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 AM