3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traffic lights to be installed at Hambridge Road/Boundry Road junction
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 26 2012, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Guests

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article...articleID=19001

A TRAFFIC junction for drivers and pedestrians in the middle of Newbury could soon have traffic lights and crossings installed.
The Hambridge Road and Boundary Road junction is to get the improvements following a period of consultation carried out by West Berkshire Council.
As there are currently no safeguards for pedestrians to cross near the busy junction, the council is proposing a facility for pedestrians to cross Hambridge Road east side and Boundary road north side, as seen from above.

I am completely against this. The junction WORKS without interference from men in hi-vis jackets, and has a natural flow. As some of you may know, I work on Mill Lane and make my way home by going up Boundry Road and turning left back towards Thatcham on Hambridge Road. As I finish at 5:30 I am right in the thick of rush hour, and yet it never takes me more than about 30 seconds to be able to safely exit the junction.

There is a very low level of pedestrian traffic crossing the road in this area, and the few "pedestrians" there are, are mostly cylcists.

Adding traffic lights here would be a waste of our money, and create extra delays. Improvements my fragrant (not french) bottom. angry.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jan 26 2012, 10:21 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

Yes but you are a boy racer.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 26 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #3

Guests

I have a fire extinguisher for that flamebait.
(Don't speed, clean license)

+Quote Post
massifheed
post Jan 26 2012, 03:48 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,215

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 26 2012, 09:46 AM) *
There is a very low level of pedestrian traffic crossing the road in this area, and the few "pedestrians" there are, are mostly cylcists.

Ok well, ignoring the fact that cyclists aren't pedestrians, and regardless of whether or not you think that pedestrian traffic is low, I live nearby and can testify that trying to get across this road safely is very hard when it is busy. Cars simply do not let people cross, resulting in pedestrians having to take their chances as best they can.

Some improvement is most certainly needed here, but I would sooner see a Zebra crossing installed, rather than a Pelican crossing, which will create delays for drivers.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 26 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

QUOTE (massifheed @ Jan 26 2012, 03:48 PM) *
Ok well, ignoring the fact that cyclists aren't pedestrians, and regardless of whether or not you think that pedestrian traffic is low, I live nearby and can testify that trying to get across this road safely is very hard when it is busy. Cars simply do not let people cross, resulting in pedestrians having to take their chances as best they can.

Some improvement is most certainly needed here, but I would sooner see a Zebra crossing installed, rather than a Pelican crossing, which will create delays for drivers.

Have you noticed that in the plans, the entry from Kings Road is two way....

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 26 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

More traffic lights to hold us up needlessly at night! angry.gif

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jan 26 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Jan 26 2012, 09:46 AM) *
I am completely against this. The junction WORKS...

Ah, I see what you did there, but this is West Berks remember, traffic isn't actually meant to flow.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
John C
post Jan 26 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,022

Typical WBC do anything to slow up traffic to drive the motorist out of Newbury without due regard to the consequences.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 26 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

I think it is that time of year ... councils have spare cash and are looking to spend it. Use it or lose it! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 26 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Proposal to ban HGVs on Mill Lane on not very much justification, plan to control a junction nearby that really isn't much of an issue, suggestion of traffic flow changes adjacent to the proposed Sterling Cable site development, need to accommodate the racecourse new town...... Seems like our money really is not being best spent.......

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 28 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 26 2012, 04:34 PM) *
Have you noticed that in the plans, the entry from Kings Road is two way....

Only because they are still hoping someone will build the relief road from Scats.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post Jan 29 2012, 12:21 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (blackdog @ Jan 28 2012, 12:52 AM) *
Only because they are still hoping someone will build the relief road from Scats.

Yeah, have they factored in the number of HGVs that will be using this now that the Mill Lane ban has been given the green light?

And how long would it take for any potential residents of the potential housing development there to rustle up a petition and bend the ear of Roger Hunneman for an HGV ban?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 29 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

I simply cannot believe this project is of sufficient priority to be next on the list... I really would like to know why it is so important

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 29 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (spartacus @ Jan 29 2012, 12:21 AM) *
Yeah, have they factored in the number of HGVs that will be using this now that the Mill Lane ban has been given the green light?

And how long would it take for any potential residents of the potential housing development there to rustle up a petition and bend the ear of Roger Hunneman for an HGV ban?

Well there will be no need for potential residents of the Sterling Development, if that is what you meant, to get up a petition agains HGVs as there is no longer a through road from SCATS on the plan. The developers seem to have been led by the Council that the link road is no longer needed. The new plans have no provision for a road but the maximum height of the buildings is now only seven storeys. Which plan do you think is preferable, high rise and a road or medium height and no road. According to the developer, 190 apartments is the break even which will support the development what with excavating and removing a couple of meter depth of contaminated soil across the whole site and demolishing a very unstable tower loaded with asbestos no doubt.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 29 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 29 2012, 02:52 PM) *
Well there will be no need for potential residents of the Sterling Development, if that is what you meant, to get up a petition agains HGVs as there is no longer a through road from SCATS on the plan. The developers seem to have been led by the Council that the link road is no longer needed. The new plans have no provision for a road but the maximum height of the buildings is now only seven storeys. Which plan do you think is preferable, high rise and a road or medium height and no road. According to the developer, 190 apartments is the break even which will support the development what with excavating and removing a couple of meter depth of contaminated soil across the whole site and demolishing a very unstable tower loaded with asbestos no doubt.

I would be amazed if WBC didn't still want the road from Scats - at the same time the developers are making it clear that they can't have it without tower blocks. Of course WBC could go back to the original plan - where the road went further east meeting Hambridge Rd by the racecourse station. Which would do a more to ease congestion, especially at the Boundary Rd crossroads.

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jan 29 2012, 10:58 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

The point really about the SCATS road is the question, will there be enough money in the WBC coffers to be able to afford and fund the bit that does not go through Sterling Estate, that is the bit that is parallel with Gordon Road and joins the bit that the developer might eventually have to build through his bit. WBC would also presumably have to fund the new junction of this road and Boundary/Hambridge Road.
As far as the new road actually running along to the south of the estate then that of course belongs to Railtrack and I can't see them giving that up cheaply plus the problem with the Boundary Road rail bridge which has already gone past it's sell by date and one car or lorry hitting the pillar and the whole lot could come tumbling down.
This estate is a 190 apartment development, unlike the racecourse with their development size. So, the S106 that WBC can extract from the developer is limited. Certainly not enough to pay for a new bridge and road as well as funding the library.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post Jan 30 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Exhausted @ Jan 29 2012, 10:58 PM) *
The point really about the SCATS road is the question, will there be enough money in the WBC coffers to be able to afford and fund the bit that does not go through Sterling Estate, that is the bit that is parallel with Gordon Road and joins the bit that the developer might eventually have to build through his bit. WBC would also presumably have to fund the new junction of this road and Boundary/Hambridge Road.
As far as the new road actually running along to the south of the estate then that of course belongs to Railtrack and I can't see them giving that up cheaply plus the problem with the Boundary Road rail bridge which has already gone past it's sell by date and one car or lorry hitting the pillar and the whole lot could come tumbling down.
This estate is a 190 apartment development, unlike the racecourse with their development size. So, the S106 that WBC can extract from the developer is limited. Certainly not enough to pay for a new bridge and road as well as funding the library.

The cost of the road should be funded by S106 payments, mainly from the racecourse development. The land has been earmarked for the road for decades, it wouldn't be especially expensive.

And the Boundary Road bridge was to be closed once the new road was built - making it pedestrian/cyclists only.

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 30 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

This is great news.
As a pedestrian the more traffic lights the better.
What I really enjoy is pressing the button so that the lights go red even when there is nothing coming in either direction. That really makes me laugh at the fuming drivers....

+Quote Post
HJD
post Jan 30 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 322

QUOTE (TallDarkAndHandsome @ Jan 30 2012, 01:28 PM) *
What I really enjoy is pressing the button so that the lights go red even when there is nothing coming in either direction. That really makes me laugh at the fuming drivers....

What drivers !! huh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 30 2012, 02:15 PM
Post #20

Guests

What I really enjoy is finding pedestrians and a puddle, and purposefully soaking them in their £40 suit (I have a £40 suit, it's very good) before driving off, warm, and dry, knowing I'm not queuing for a bus to sit next to people who can't afford a car!

laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:50 PM