Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury cinema; Vue
GMR
post May 28 2012, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 33

There was a lot of controversy of whether we needed a cinema or not in Newbury. Now it is here was it worth it?

Personally speaking I think it was worth it. I've gone quite a few times and enjoyed it. Last time I went was to see "The Avengers Assembled" with my daughter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 28 2012, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

I've been quite a few times (there are some films that can wait for the DVD release and there are others that need the BIG SCREEN impact....)
But nearly every single time I've been my wife and I have pretty much had the place to ourselves. I wonder how it can sustain itself (especially with the likes of me sneaking packs of sweets in and a tin of pop rather than paying an arm and a leg for popcorn)

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 28 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (GMR @ May 28 2012, 08:45 PM) *
There was a lot of controversy of whether we needed a cinema or not in Newbury. Now it is here was it worth it?

Personally speaking I think it was worth it. I've gone quite a few times and enjoyed it. Last time I went was to see "The Avengers Assembled" with my daughter.

I've never been. I think it's mainly because Newbury can be plagued by p1ss heads in the evening and it never felt completely comfortable for a family night out. Even though the drive is tedious I prefer to go over the Basingstoke.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 28 2012, 08:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I went in to Newbury on Saturday at about 11am, as we walked past the Diamond Tap the shirtless tattooed ilk that frequent these kinds of places were shouting abuse at all sorts of people walking by. I was going to jump in but there about ten of them and I didn't think I would get any back up. I avoid Newbury mainly now, and this was a reminder of why.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 28 2012, 08:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

And the Cinema is handy, but I have always found it to be quite dirty inside when we have gone.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ May 28 2012, 08:56 PM) *
I've never been. I think it's mainly because Newbury can be plagued by p1ss heads in the evening and it never felt completely comfortable for a family night out. Even though the drive is tedious I prefer to go over the Basingstoke.

Every time I/ we have been I've never have had any problems. It could be the time you go.

+Quote Post
GMR
post May 28 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 28 2012, 09:15 PM) *
I went in to Newbury on Saturday at about 11am, as we walked past the Diamond Tap the shirtless tattooed ilk that frequent these kinds of places were shouting abuse at all sorts of people walking by. I was going to jump in but there about ten of them and I didn't think I would get any back up. I avoid Newbury mainly now, and this was a reminder of why.

In that respect Newbury has decline; sadly. And what are the authorities doing about it?

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 28 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

I went last week to see American Pie Reunion. Inside I found it fairly pleasant and inside the Cinema was fairly clean. No complaints, at least the seats were arranged in such a way that everyone could see.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 28 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 28 2012, 09:15 PM) *

I have seen this sort of thing, but I couldn't say it was normal. It tends to happen on certain occasions, like pay day weekend, or when there in something on in town. Sunday afternoons tend to be quiet.

One problem watering holes have is that if they call the assistance of say the police, they get a reputation and risk their licence. This means they will tend to turn a blind eye to misbehaviour. Having said that, if things were to kick-off during the day, pubs are not often sufficiently staffed to cope anyway.

The first time I went, I was half p*ssed (it was a last minute decision, rather than go home) and I was glad that I had someone with me that knew what to do. It is a bit confusing for the first timer.

I thought it was all right, but there isn't enough films that I would want to go to see.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 28 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

Never been, hate the sight of the building - which is not the reason I haven't been.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 28 2012, 08:38 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 28 2012, 09:36 PM) *
Never been, hate the sight of the building - which is not the reason I haven't been.

I do that as well. I think it is an appalling thing for the counc... oh, you know the rest! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post May 28 2012, 09:58 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

Hideous building and all that wasted space underneath!
Oh yes and we want our mural back in the Kennet Centre as well please.

+Quote Post
spartacus
post May 28 2012, 10:36 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (Biker1 @ May 28 2012, 10:58 PM) *
Hideous building and all that wasted space underneath!

Ah yes... the great vision of posh nosh eateries in all those units to compliment the night out at the flicks experience on the top floor (like Basingstoke has) Somebody was a bit too ambitious when they stumped up the cash for this cinema

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 29 2012, 05:52 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (spartacus @ May 28 2012, 11:36 PM) *
Ah yes... the great vision of posh nosh eateries in all those units to compliment the night out at the flicks experience on the top floor (like Basingstoke has) Somebody was a bit too ambitious when they stumped up the cash for this cinema

Perhaps they didn't see the economic catastrophy looming. Why oh why weren't they clever enough to see that coming - after all the rest of us did...!

I'm getting too old and cursed with a long memory. We moaned and moaned that we had no cinema in Newbury. How dreadfiul for a town this size, etc. etc. We've now got one! Sorry it's the wrong shade - but we've got one!

If it closed down and they demolished the building - do you honestly think a 'right'one would be uilt elsewhere in Newbury? Do you honestly think that re directing any subsidy would make any difference to WBC's financial situation?

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Timbo
post May 29 2012, 08:19 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,715

I struggle to understand this at times; I think having the Cinema in Newbury is a good thing and there are worse looking buildings in the area. What's the fuss?
Can't please nobody in this day and age. :|

+Quote Post
andy1979uk
post May 29 2012, 08:21 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,697

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 29 2012, 09:19 AM) *
I struggle to understand this at times; I think having the Cinema in Newbury is a good thing and there are worse looking buildings in the area. What's the fuss?
Can't please nobody in this day and age. :|

Have been a handful of times, its never very busy and is pretty expensive. I think with things like 3D TVs people are not going out as much, just downloading the film and staying at home.

+Quote Post
blackdog
post May 29 2012, 09:32 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 130

QUOTE (Timbo @ May 29 2012, 09:19 AM) *

I couldn't give a tinker's cuss if there is a cinema in Newbury - I'm not against the idea but equally I am unlikely to go to the cinema more than once or twice a decade so a trip to Basingstoke or Reading would not be a problem.

However, I am against Council Tax revenue being used to support a cinema, especially at a time when our council is rated as one of the three worst in the country for their support for vulnerable adults.

I don't even mind the cinema being where it is - apart from the fact that they had to kill off plans to build an unsubsidised cinema in Lower Way in order to make it viable.

My real disgust with the cinema in Newbury is about its design - too big (about a storey taller than the artist's impression gave us to believe), and more appropriate to an industrial estate than an old town centre. As for there being worse buildings around - that's debatable, but there are certainly other dreadful buildings in Cheap St - however, I don't think that planners should redesign our town centre by accepting a developer's argument that 'it's not as bad as the one down the street'.

This design was pushed through planning with indecent haste to make political capital at local election time - everyone involved should be ashamed.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 29 2012, 09:48 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 29 2012, 10:32 AM) *
I couldn't give a tinker's cuss if there is a cinema in Newbury - I'm not against the idea but equally I am unlikely to go to the cinema more than once or twice a decade so a trip to Basingstoke or Reading would not be a problem.

However, I am against Council Tax revenue being used to support a cinema, especially at a time when our council is rated as one of the three worst in the country for their support for vulnerable adults.

I don't even mind the cinema being where it is - apart from the fact that they had to kill off plans to build an unsubsidised cinema in Lower Way in order to make it viable.

My real disgust with the cinema in Newbury is about its design - too big (about a storey taller than the artist's impression gave us to believe), and more appropriate to an industrial estate than an old town centre. As for there being worse buildings around - that's debatable, but there are certainly other dreadful buildings in Cheap St - however, I don't think that planners should redesign our town centre by accepting a developer's argument that 'it's not as bad as the one down the street'.

This design was pushed through planning with indecent haste to make political capital at local election time - everyone involved should be ashamed.

I don't even see a building, all I see is an advertising hoarding. And it's fair ruined the view of the bus depot. wink.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Baffers100
post May 29 2012, 12:14 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,653

I've been quiet a few times. Sometimes I go to Basingstoke as it tends to be quieter but it's much of a muchness. I don't really go to the Newbury cinema on weekends as you generally get interruptions throughout the movie from kids, so we do late night mid week showings.

Given how expensive a trip to the cinema for 2 people is these days, I'd guess they're running at a healthy profit.

I don't get why the painted the ground floor white though? It looks awful with all those grotty marks up it. Seems like a waste of space and somewhere for the loutty types to "hang out."

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 29 2012, 02:00 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 29 2012, 10:32 AM) *

Not quite convinced that the lack of a Cinema or the removal of a subsidy would have had any effect on this decision. Spending decisions have to be made and if the sentiment and clear politicing that's going on here was stripped out we could have a reasoned discussion. However, that's a separate thread!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:11 AM