> Conservative Newbury councillors vote against “inexperienced” deputy leader
blackdog
post May 26 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 130

Full story

Always more interesting when Cllrs step off the party line - it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Will Cllr Kent be selected by the Lib-Dems at the next election after failing to toe the party line?

Will the Tories do anything about Kuldip Singh-Kang's failure to vote Ruwan down?

And what have you done to upset Cllr Kent, Ruwan?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post May 26 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 26 2014, 02:22 PM) *
Full story

Always more interesting when Cllrs step off the party line - it will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Will Cllr Kent be selected by the Lib-Dems at the next election after failing to toe the party line?

Will the Tories do anything about Kuldip Singh-Kang's failure to vote Ruwan down?

I expect it has something to do with inviting all and sundry to join the Lib Dems.........can't have just anybody obtaining the remote chance of getting elected as a NTC Councillor you know? Just where will it all end? rolleyes.gif

Still not to worry RUP unless a small miracle occurs then all Lib Dems will be obsolete at the next local elections? I should advise you to inform Simon he will have a far better chance at election as an independent than as a Lib Dem and there is not much chance of that in Newbury is there? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
MontyPython
post May 26 2014, 02:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,755

QUOTE (Cognosco @ May 26 2014, 03:17 PM) *
I should advise you to inform Simon he will have a far better chance at election as an independent than as a Lib Dem and there is not much chance of that in Newbury is there? rolleyes.gif

More chance with the Monster Raving Loony Party than LibDems

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 26 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (blackdog @ May 26 2014, 02:22 PM) *
Full story

I think people like Mr Stretton need to realise that credibility will only be restored to the council's reputation through efforts by people like Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera. RUP is the only councillor I'd trust with my vote.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post May 26 2014, 05:20 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I feel the opposite, posting on a forum during a meeting? That is self serving and disrespectful.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post May 26 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Strafin @ May 26 2014, 06:20 PM) *
I feel the opposite, posting on a forum during a meeting? That is self serving and disrespectful.

How? huh.gif Notwithstanding that the room's full of people like that.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 26 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ May 26 2014, 07:51 PM) *
How? huh.gif Notwithstanding that the room's full of people like that.

laugh.gif

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Ruwan Uduwerage-...
post May 26 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 303

Dear Forum Members,

I thank the contributors for all of their thoughts, both positive and negative. As the old saying goes there is only one thing worse than being spoken about and that is not being spoken about!

As for being disrespectful, or even self serving, well I can live with these accusations because I feel that the public have a right to know what is going on and how their elected members are representing them. Newbury Town Council is not and should not be seen as an elite club that is too secretive for the public to be made aware of what is going on.

Of course if Newbury Town Council were a member of the 21st Century then meetings would be video streamed to increase its transparency and by default engagement with the public. The reality is that this is really a non-story for it can never be said that I do not participate in meetings, in fact the opposite is normally said of me.

As I have said elsewhere I have the fortune or disadvantages of wearing hearing aids and since we now have a audio system, I cannot escape whatever is being said. The amusing thing is that I actually hear conversations that my Tory colleagues are not aware of when they forget to switch the system off, so please do not let them know as it comes in very useful.

Needless to say I will continue to report what is being said during public meetings so long as I am Deputy Leader and the Liberal Democrats run the Council. If the opposing group wishes to change the rules, then it is simple, they can win control of the council.

I look forward to continuing my dialogue with both Forum and other members of the public.

Yours sincerely,

Ruwan Uduwerage-Perera
Newbury Town Council - Councillor for Victoria Ward & Deputy Leader

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post May 26 2014, 07:55 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

I'm still chuckling at Stretton. RUP is an absolute breath of fresh air, and I'm grateful that he brings his significant professional experience to the town council, and it's just such a crying shame that he's not getting the support he needs from his colleagues to shake the administration up as it needs to be shaken.

But Stretton needs to look to his own role, because he's leading an utterly hopeless opposition. The town council administration is unaccountable because it chooses to ignore criticism, but Stretton and his Tories don't ever criticise! They might have the odd lame snipe at some individual Lib Dem, but they should be ripping into the Lib Dem administration, tearing apart their budget, and excoriating them for the obscene waste of the tax-payer's money on non-jobs and busy work.

I don't like Stretton, not the smallest bit, but in fairness to the man I have to say that he is, to my knowledge, the only councillor ever to speak out against the cost to the tax-payer of providing the Chirstmas lights. But other than that he leads a toadying sycophantic shower of establishment apologists and is as responsible as the Lib Dems themselves for the hapless ineptitude of the Lib Dem administration.

He mentions the cracks debacle and the need to have a deputy leader of the council well-versed in the ways of the council - actually what the public need is the hydrogeological reports so we can make our own minds up about the thing, and Stretton and his Tories would serve the public interest well if they would challenge the Lib Dem administration's failure to disclose those reports - but we get not a peep. That's rubbish.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post May 26 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

An elected representative reporting contemporaneously, as opposed to the heavily .......... edited Minutes produced later? Must be stopped. Next people will be wanting cameras....
I remember the 'complaint' was that RUP was posting to the Forum. I suspect he was not, but would welcome a steer as to where the report is available....

+Quote Post
On the edge
post May 26 2014, 08:43 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

I loved their complaint about RUP taking the Council too seriously and not voting for their candidate in the fancy dress parade, then immediately after we get a complaint that he's not being serious because he's playing with his Phone. And this is from the self same party who felt the CEOs pre Christmas antics should be dealt with quietly. Opposition, but not as we know it!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:59 PM