IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Community Radio for West Berkshire, Want to get involved?
Simon Kirby
post Oct 6 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #301

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,011

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 6 2012, 11:01 AM) *
If true, that is one for the council, although I'm confident I know the reason. I can't see Richard has any obligation to answer that one.

Richard applied to the council for a booking to hold a public meeting on allotment self-management and I understand from him that it was offered on commercial terms and that a free community booking was declined, so he is in a reasonable position to say why the council refused that free booking, and as he presents himself as one of the organisers of the public meeting on community radio it is also reasonable that he say whether that booking was free or on ordinary commercial terms, and if the community radio booking was free I would like him to comment on that discrimination of one community meeting over another. It's not a difficult question and it's a reasonable one to put to him.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 6 2012, 11:51 AM
Post #302

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 6 2012, 12:20 PM) *
As regards him publishing minutes of Councils, again not for him to do and I doubt he has the authority. A better question would be 'Which Councils support the CR project?', then you can ask those Councils for the Minute you seek.
He is still under no obligation to reply, unless he is a Director of a company and you are a shareholder. he would be wise to be open with the community, but he has no obligation.
Plus, we are no more representative of a Community than he is

It was Richard's claim that the so-called community radio project had the support of the local councils. I believe this claim to be false, but I would like to give Richard the opportunity either to retract the claim or to substantiate it with the evidence. He is not obliged to substantiate his claim, but I'm entitled to draw my own conclusions if he is unable or unwilling to do so.

Richard is also under no obligation to publish the memorandum and articles of the two media companies incorporated by Swift-Half, but he is presenting himself as a joint organiser of the community radio initiative so he should have access to this information, and as he is also presneting it as a community initiative then it is only proper that the governance, directors, funding, and remuneration are transparent and open. Richard has already claimed that no directors will be paid, and I would like him to substantiate that claim by publishing the clause of the articles that prohibits directors receiving remuneration. Again, he is not obliged to provide this information, but I'm entitled to draw my own conclusions if he is unable or unwilling to do so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 6 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #303

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 6 2012, 12:42 PM) *
Richard applied to the council for a booking to hold a public meeting on allotment self-management and I understand from him that it was offered on commercial terms and that a free community booking was declined, so he is in a reasonable position to say why the council refused that free booking, and as he presents himself as one of the organisers of the public meeting on community radio it is also reasonable that he say whether that booking was free or on ordinary commercial terms, and if the community radio booking was free I would like him to comment on that discrimination of one community meeting over another. It's not a difficult question and it's a reasonable one to put to him.

It is a reasonable question, but it was not his decision to make either meeting free or not. As he is likely to wish to promote the radio venture, he is unlikely to want to make himself a nuisance. We all know where that gets us.

Like I said, a perfectly reasonable question, but I don't think it is reasonable to 'expect' him to answer it. At the end of the day it is Newbury Council your quarrel is with, not Richard; he tried to help.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 6 2012, 11:52 AM
Post #304

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Agree 100% with your last sentence on each point.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 6 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #305

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Oct 6 2012, 12:52 PM) *
Agree 100% with your last sentence on each point.

I do think that ownership of the proposed station should be made public at some point in the event it is promoted as a 'community radio' station and the council make any form of commitment to it, whether financial or council time.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Oct 6 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #306

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

Agree with that too.
These days badges are applied to projects to give people the impression it is a 'good thing'. Then there is no question/objection re any costs that arise - good things are worth paying for, after all. Just as in commercial marketing, much time is spent trying to make people want that which someone else wants them too. Nothing is free, and if a Council is involved then I'd be sceptical none of the cost comes from a form of expenditure by that Council

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 6 2012, 12:09 PM
Post #307

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 6 2012, 12:52 PM) *
It is a reasonable question, but it was not his decision to make either meeting free or not. As he is likely to wish to promote the radio venture, he is unlikely to want to make himself a nuisance. We all know where that gets us.

Like I said, a perfectly reasonable question, but I don't think it is reasonable to 'expect' him to answer it. At the end of the day, it is Newbury Council your quarrel is with, not Richard; he tried to help.

No, it's more involved than that. Richard presents himself as the campaigning Labour Party spokesman, but if his "community" activities compromise his independance and willingness to challenge his politically opponents lest he prejudices his personal position then the establishment as pwned him. I know that the Town Council are a repressive and anti-free-speech organisation as evidenced by their secret gagging clause to my allotment tenancy agreement, so it would seem to me to be entirely likely that the price of any NTC "support" is an agreement by all those involved not to criticise in any way whatsoever the Town Council nor anyone involved with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 6 2012, 12:23 PM
Post #308

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 6 2012, 01:09 PM) *
No, it's more involved than that. Richard presents himself as the campaigning Labour Party spokesman, but if his "community" activities compromise his independance and willingness to challenge his politically opponents lest he prejudices his personal position then the establishment as pwned him. I know that the Town Council are a repressive and anti-free-speech organisation as evidenced by their secret gagging clause to my allotment tenancy agreement, so it would seem to me to be entirely likely that the price of any NTC "support" is an agreement by all those involved not to criticise in any way whatsoever the Town Council nor anyone involved with it.

I would tend to agree if Richard was actually in political office; however, I do think the council's involvement is at very least, questionable, and I'm not sure it is appropriate. We should be entitled to know to what extent the council has committed to this, but I am unsure if asking Richard here is the best way. Although I admit that the Council have decided to ostracise you, so I can see why you have.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 6 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #309

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,212

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 6 2012, 01:23 PM) *
I would tend to agree if Richard was actually in political office; however, I do think the council's involvement is at very least, questionable, and I'm not sure it is appropriate. We should be entitled to know to what extent the council has committed to this, but I am unsure if asking Richard here is the best way. Although I admit that the Council have decided to ostracise you, so I can see why you have.

If the council are involved then that usually means taxpayers need to open wallets! It also, usually, means that the project will not run smoothly and extra costs will be incurred because it did not run smoothly! rolleyes.gif

I can see why Simon may be trying to provoke a response from Richard as we all know that it is nigh on impossible to get any information from out local authorities that they do not want us taxpayers to know!

It does seem mighty suspect that Richard has not come forward with his usually prompt replies of late?
Perhaps all politicians are the same? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Oct 6 2012, 03:57 PM
Post #310

Advanced Member

*wibble*

Don't worry Richard, I'm not bothered.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 7 2012, 08:26 AM
Post #311

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 6 2012, 03:44 PM) *
It does seem mighty suspect that Richard has not come forward with his usually prompt replies of late?
Perhaps all politicians are the same? rolleyes.gif

This is exactly why Julian Swift-Hook and his chums should not be involved at 'board' level. A 'community radio' station should be free from political influence and Richard Garvey seems now to be 'in the pocket' of the council.

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 7 2012, 04:48 PM
Post #312

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Oct 7 2012, 09:26 AM) *
This is exactly why Julian Swift-Hook and his chums should not be involved at 'board' level. A 'community radio' station should be free from political influence and Richard Garvey seems now to be 'in the pocket' of the council.

This silence bug must be very contagious Richard has caught it already and he has only been in contact with the council for a very short time? I wonder what the new spokesman for the Labour party will have to say about all this? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 7 2012, 06:17 PM
Post #313

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,076

QUOTE (user23 @ Sep 30 2012, 04:50 PM) *
What makes you think it would be Richard running the project?

It was mentioned at the meeting that £30k p.a may be needed for a project manager.

I guess this might be spent on someone with a proven track record of delivering this sort of thing.

Exactly right, an external candidate with a proven track record would be required.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 7 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #314

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Oct 6 2012, 08:04 AM) *
So anywho, Richard Garvie - you are promoting this radio station as a community thing, so will you now please answer the questions about its financial support and governance which the community have put to you. They're simple straight questions and if you can't provide simple straight answers then I have to conclude that the truth is just too embarrassing. I wouldn't pester, only you've made it quite your own style to do just that and this is all billed as a commuity thing so the community has a right to know, so please, answer the questions:

• Let's see the articles and memorandum of the media companies behind this radio station, with a list of the directors.
  • Say whether NTC let the council chamber for the public meeting as a full-price commercial let or as a free gift.
  • If the latter explain what your request for a free lettig to hold a public meeting on allotment self management was refused.
  • You stated that the locals councils were supporting the initiative, so either retract that statement and explain your misunderstanding, or publish the minutes of those council meetings and the resolutions of those councils to support the station.

No waffle please Richard, just the answers.

Simon, I will answer the questions again.

* I do not have access to the company documents as the company was registered by somebody else. There is no "media company" behind this project. There are also no directors, if there are any listed against any of the company names registered I would be most dissapointed.

* The council chamber was paid for by the Mayor of Newbury, a keen music enthusiast and I'm sure someone who would love to broadcast on the new station when and if it happens.

* I guess that nobody was willing to sponsor the allotment meeting. I very much wanted (and still have some interest) in seeing a discussion on self management to establish the facts of what (if anything) could be saved financially. If you want to split the cost of a meeting room, I'm happy to still organise that but whether the councillors would turn up, that is something between you and them. THIS IS NOT A COUNCIL PROJECT< AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ALLOTMENTS.

* I apologise. Members of local councils have shown a willingness to explore the possibility of a community radio station. Council funding is unlikely, so would be more of a moral support if anything.

I'm sorry if you don't like the answers Simon, but that is the best I can do. I'd love to say that I could give you the documents, but it wasn't me who registered the names. I'll ask for them to be brought to the next meeting, but I'm not sure how relevant they are as the project is still only an idea at this stage, with working groups and a steering group being set up at the next meeting to begin the project. If the names had not been registered, there was a possibility that somebody could have tried to register them first. That's the explanation I was given, and I accept that.

Just as a side note. I've been nothing but supportive of you in the past on the self management issue. The way you have conducted yourself on this forum about the community radio project is a little unfair, and it's not surprising that some people have chosen not to engage with you. I'm not saying that is the right action, but you have to realise that personally attacking everything that moves because the town council shows an interest is eventually going to alienate people from your views on the issue that you care about.

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 7 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #315

Advanced Member

Apologies for the lack of replies too, have been away at conference and also managed to suffer personally inflicted whiplash on a kayak simulator, resulting in several pulled muscles in my neck / shoulder!!!

As for catching silence bug or being in the pocket of the council, really??? Do you not read the paper / attend council meetings??

I can assure you that I'll never be seen to give the council an easy ride, and in future, if you put a question on here and I don't reply, it's probably because I haven't seen it. If you want a promt reply, email me (richard.garvie@gmail.com) or text / call 07411 488324 and I'll log on and reply straight away.

As somebody else has written on a post, I tried to help you Simon and am still willing to do so in any way that I can. Just because the Mayor of NTC donated a room to the radio cause and a few Tories / Lib Dems are helping to establish the project, don't use that as a reason to try and attack it. Come to a meeting, judge it on it's own merit and who knows, there could even be a gardening / allotment spot!!!

Anyway, enough with the Richard / Labour / Council bashing, can we not just discuss the pro's and con's of such a project???

PS. NWNREADER, as Breakfast Show Presenter on one community station, I had an audience of around 30,000 out of 100,000. I also sold sponsorship and advertising on a few stations in my time, so have got commercial and community experience. As described at the first meeting, this isn't about me having my own radio station, I don't even have to be involved in it. I put the idea forward, I'd love to present a show if possible and the rest is down to people in the community. Already we have around 50 people interested in getting involved, you could get involved too???

+Quote Post
Cognosco
post Oct 7 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #316

Advanced Member

Thanks for responding Richard getting worried you had crossed the house so to speak? laugh.gif

Hope the neck improves quickly?

You must understand some of us have had dire problems with our local councils and it will take a lot of time and effort on their part to overcome the complete lack of mistrust this has caused us to have towards anything they do or say.
Until they prove otherwise anything they do or say has to be mistrusted and we try to ensure they know we are watching, not that it does a lot of good as they seem to be a law unto themselves, and I would have thought they would be the last people that you would want to be associated with any community project? They always seem to kill anything decent off or completely make such an mess of it that it has to be revamped, all at extra cost of course? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Vexatious Candidate?

+Quote Post
Richard Garvie
post Oct 7 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #317

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Cognosco @ Oct 7 2012, 08:32 PM) *
Thanks for responding Richard getting worried you had crossed the house so to speak? laugh.gif

Hope the neck improves quickly?

You must understand some of us have had dire problems with our local councils and it will take a lot of time and effort on their part to overcome the complete lack of mistrust this has caused us to have towards anything they do or say.
Until they prove otherwise anything they do or say has to be mistrusted and we try to ensure they know we are watching, not that it does a lot of good as they seem to be a law unto themselves, and I would have thought they would be the last people that you would want to be associated with any community project? They always seem to kill anything decent off or completely make such an mess of it that it has to be revamped, all at extra cost of course? rolleyes.gif

I totally understand why people feel suspicious of the various local authorities etc. I feel that way too. But sometimes you must work together to achieve things, it's sometimes the only way to get things done. Council politics should not be party political anyway, save that for national politics. What the council needs is a broad and diverse range of candidates that best represent the community, but that's another thread!!!

As for the radio station, it really is something that can benefit the community if it gets going. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Oct 7 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #318

Advanced Member

We await your criticisms of the Newbury Town Council.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 14 15 16
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:40 PM