IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbury Weekly News is Disappointing..
Blake
post Jan 12 2012, 12:12 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 75

I am not sure how others feel, but I find the Newbury Weekly News has less and less news to read. The issue last week had a series of two-page adverts. In addition, it also had a two-page spread of just photos of people who went out in Newbury on New Year's Eve. That to me is of supreme indifference.

Since when were photos of people on a night out in a small town newsworthy?

This is not only true of last week. I find there is a tendency for the newspaper now to be heavy on images and much lighter on text. Sometimes, facts and spelling are erroneous.

Less than ten years ago, the NWN was a superb paper with interesting articles on local people, events, places, history etc but I find that that format of news has dwindled significantly. It has also quietly dropped its TV guide and has not responded to my emails asking to have it reinstated.

Ironically, the price of this title has now gone from a reasonable 40p per week to 65p. It is also using less paper now than it did when a broadsheet.

How do others feel? I really would like to see the editors reshape this newspaper back to the standard it was before it goes totally downmarket.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
theone09
post Jan 12 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 341

you'll be even more disappointed when I tell you it's 70p not 65p!!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 12 2012, 12:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

Biker1 will be pleased! tongue.gif

My guess is that they are struggling against other media outlets, including their own website. Use it or lose it as they say. I will say I don't think the editorial, nor the journalism is as good as I would like, but I remember 'grown-ups' saying the same things when I was a lad.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Jan 12 2012, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 12 2012, 12:56 PM) *

Lol yes he most certainly will. laugh.gif

I think the problem is just journalism as it is...it's a dying industry because people don't report news anymore, people report gossip and celebrity nonsense. I wish NWN would post up interesting facts but unfortunately chasing foxes on horses and eating cakes at pubs don't really interest me so...I'm at a loss from the start.

To be honest the most interesting thing I've read have been what NothingMuch has sent me via email, war journals and stuff.
Better than hearing about a multi-car pileup on the A34.

+Quote Post
Blake
post Jan 12 2012, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 75

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 12 2012, 12:56 PM) *

My guess is that they are struggling against other media outlets, including their own website. Use it or lose it as they say. I will say I don't think the editorial, nor the journalism is as good as I would like, but I remember 'grown-ups' saying the same things when I was a lad.

But you missed my point, I'll not want to buy it unless it of a certain standard which it is not at the moment.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 12 2012, 02:14 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Jan 12 2012, 02:10 PM) *
But you missed my point, I'll not want to buy it unless it of a certain standard which it is not at the moment.

I didn't miss your point. I know exactly what you said and mean. I was filling in with some possible reasons for its alleged decline wink.gif

Blake:- "When I pay for a local paper for news, I expect to see the local news."

NWN: "You CAN see Newbury's news! It's over there, in the pages!"

Blake:- "Well, it's just not good enough!"

NWN:- "Well, may I ask what sir was expecting to see in a local newspaper? Sydney Opera House? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?"

Blake:- "I expect a discount"

NWN:- "Why? Because Krakatoa isn't erupting at the moment??"

tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 12 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 12 2012, 01:56 PM) *

About what?

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 12 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Blake @ Jan 12 2012, 01:12 PM) *
I am not sure how others feel, but I find the Newbury Weekly News has less and less news to read. The issue last week had a series of two-page adverts. In addition, it also had a two-page spread of just photos of people who went out in Newbury on New Year's Eve. That to me is of supreme indifference.

This is not only true of last week. I find there is a tendency for the newspaper now to be heavy on images and much lighter on text. Sometimes, facts and spelling are erroneous.

Less than ten years ago, the NWN was a superb paper with interesting articles on local people, events, places, history etc but I find that that format of news has dwindled significantly. It has also quietly dropped its TV guide and has not responded to my emails asking to have it reinstated.

Ironically, the price of this title has now gone from a reasonable 40p per week to 65p. It is also using less paper now than it did when a broadsheet.

How do others feel? I really would like to see the editors reshape this newspaper back to the standard it was before it goes totally downmarket.

Totally agree.

But I still fail to see why the presence of a failing quality, increasing above inflation price local newspaper should make me pleased.
Unless you mean because someone actually agrees with me?? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 12 2012, 03:55 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 12 2012, 03:13 PM) *
About what?

I was being ironic!

QUOTE (Biker1 @ Jan 12 2012, 03:15 PM) *
Totally agree.

But I still fail to see why the presence of a failing quality, increasing above inflation price local newspaper should make me pleased.

I presume you are being ironic too? wink.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 12 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Funnily enough I was talking to the postman about the NWN. He said there is never anything in it, but his wife always buys it and then moans that it is crap. Quite a few people have said the same. I presume people buy it because they think they have to, then once bought they spend the rest of the week trying to think of the logic in why they purchased it, until the next Thursday comes along and again they make an instinctive purchase. It is probably like purchasing bad drugs; you know it is bad for you, but all your friends do it so you think you must.... eventually you are hooked.

I must confess that I am one of those that every time I go to Sainsbury's I purchase a copy of the NWN and then spend approximately 30 seconds to 2 minutes reading it, and then into the bin. At least 70 pence a week is a cheap moment of madness. I could have been hooked on drugs and spending a fortune; and also wrecking my health. So I do feel that I've come away lately!

+Quote Post
TallDarkAndHands...
post Jan 12 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 60

A lot of older people buy it for the obits to see who they have beaten!!! blink.gif

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 12 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

I buy it, and will do for the time being. I don't bin it when I've finished, we re-cycle or keep it for decorating, packing, etc.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Jan 12 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

I read it every week, sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I don't. I have noticed that where I used to look and see who had graduated or turned 18/21 I do now look more at the hatched, matched or despatched bit.

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Jan 12 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

I still think it wonderful that people seem to have the courtesy to die in alphabetical order.

It must be something to do the British habit of queuing.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Jan 12 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 12 2012, 05:33 PM) *
I buy it, and will do for the time being. I don't bin it when I've finished, we re-cycle or keep it for decorating, packing, etc.

Wallpaper you can read?

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jan 12 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Jan 12 2012, 08:16 PM) *
Wallpaper you can read?

If you can put-up with the substandard editorial and sloppy journalism! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
GMR
post Jan 12 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 12 2012, 05:33 PM) *

That is what I keep my papers for. You never know if you need spare old papers for. Like mopping up, soaking, covers, covering dead bodies etc.

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Jan 13 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 12 2012, 04:55 PM) *
I was being ironic!

Oh!

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jan 12 2012, 04:55 PM) *
I presume you are being ironic too? wink.gif tongue.gif

No!

+Quote Post
Penelope
post Jan 13 2012, 09:48 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,392

Its very good for lining the cats litter trays !

+Quote Post
Brewmaster
post Jan 13 2012, 10:02 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 201

QUOTE (Blake @ Jan 12 2012, 12:12 PM) *

This is not only true of last week. I find there is a tendency for the newspaper now to be heavy on images and much lighter on text.

I agree. You will note that almost all these totally uninteresting pictures have a reference number beside them. This is to generate revenue by encouraging the subjects to purchase pictures of themselves. Much more lucrative than reporting news!

There are one or two good things still. The classified ads, especially the free 'For Sale' ones, are almost worth the price of the paper themselves. 'Local History' with its 'Picture from the Past' is always worth reading, and so is 'Country Matters'.

As for the rest - pah! Especially the Letters page, which seems to be written by humourless automata.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:03 PM