Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> KFC
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 20 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #1

Guests

Seriously, the slowest bunch of ne'erdogooders (not sure if that's a word but I'm making it up now if it's not).

Firstly there's the car park. It's pathetic. You can hardly fit 4 cars in let alone the 8 provisioned. If one car wants to enter and one wants to go out, it holds up the whole of the road!

Anyway I park (eventually) I go in, place is a mess. I'm greeted by someone who couldn't give a crap whether he was there or nor (the short, rounded indian fellow) and I order "2 Regular Godfather meals" (only 1 was for me before you ask), both with Pepsies (plural of Pepsi I suppose), and as the sides as one beans, one coleslaw. No problem you'd think.

They are £4.99 each so the bill should come to £9.98... so imagine my surprise when it came to £10.80something. I said "Uhm, you're a bit off there aren't you?"

Well turns out he had LARGED both of the meals without a) asking me for it or B.) me asking for it or c) even telling me.

The jammy bugger didn't even give me my coleslaw huh.gif

Some of the staff in there are OK but I go there probably once a week (normally a Friday, nice lunch for at work) and nearly always half of their workforce is slowly putting stuff in bags, not in any rush at all. Waddling around the floor...it's called fast food, idea is there's some element of urgency. I could cook a juicy steak in the time it takes for them to serve me half the time.

Also that advert where they show it as being fresh chicken, hand cooked on site; it's all lies.

Constitutes a rant, does it not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Sep 20 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 20 2011, 08:24 PM) *
Also that advert where they show it as being fresh chicken, hand cooked on site; it's all lies.

Really! blink.gif *irony*

+Quote Post
Berkshirelad
post Sep 20 2011, 07:36 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 271

Otherwise known as "Kentucky Fried Rat"

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 20 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 55

KFC standards are usually very good and the chicken is prepared freshly on site. However, the one in Newbury has always been terrible since the day it opened. Do yourself a favour and go to the one at Membury Services. It is far better.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Sep 20 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 20 2011, 08:59 PM) *
KFC standards are usually very good and the chicken is prepared freshly on site. However, the one in Newbury has always been terrible since the day it opened. Do yourself a favour and go to the one at Membury Services. It is far better.

Or go to a shop and buy some decent food.......

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 20 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Such as?

+Quote Post
Andy1
post Sep 20 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 121

QUOTE (Strafin @ Sep 20 2011, 09:28 PM) *
Such as?

KFC Membury services lol. Great recommendation, pay twice as much to eat crap.

+Quote Post
Strafin
post Sep 20 2011, 08:56 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Well if someone is going to go to KFC they might as well get a good one. And it's the same price there as on the high street.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 20 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,100

Three quotes about KFC:

1/
In 1983, writer William Poundstone examined the recipe in his book Big Secrets. He reviewed Sanders' patent application, and advertised in college newspapers for present or former employees willing to share their knowledge. From the former he deduced that Sanders had diverged from other common fried-chicken recipes by varying the amount of oil used with the amount of chicken being cooked, and starting the cooking at a higher temperature (about 400 °F (200 °C)) for the first minute or so and then lowering it to 250 °F (120 °C) for the remainder of the cooking time. Several of Poundstone's contacts also provided samples of the seasoning mix, and a food lab found that it consisted solely of sugar, flour, salt, black pepper and monosodium glutamate (MSG). He concluded that it was entirely possible that, in the years since Sanders sold the chain, later owners had begun skimping on the recipe to save costs. Following his buyout in 1964, Colonel Sanders himself expressed anger at such changes, saying:

That friggin' ... outfit .... They prostituted every ******* thing I had. I had the greatest gravy in the world and those sons of ******-- they dragged it out and extended it and watered it down that I'm so ******* mad!

2/
KFC has used partially hydrogenated oil in its fried foods. This oil contains relatively high levels of trans fat, which increases the risk of heart disease.

In the United States, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) filed a court case against KFC with the aim of making it use other types of oils or make sure customers know about trans fat content immediately before they buy food. In October 2006, KFC said it would begin frying its chicken in trans fat-free oil (<0.5g per serving) in the United States. This would also apply to their potato wedges and other fried foods, however, the biscuits, macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes would still contain trans fat. Trans fat-free soybean oil was introduced in all KFC restaurants in the U.S. by April 30, 2007, and CSPI dropped its lawsuit.

However, outside the United States the company has continued to use other types of oil that have drawn criticism over their health effects. In Australia, KFC was reported to be using palm oil with up to 1 per cent trans-fat and 52 per cent saturated fat content as late as 2007, after restaurants in the United States had changed to trans-fat free oil

3/
KFC in the US has been accused by Greenpeace of a large destruction of the Amazon Rainforest, because the supply of soy used for chicken food that KFC receives from Cargill has been traced back to the European KFC. Cargill has reportedly been exporting soy illegally for several years. The Greenpeace organization researched the issue and brought it to the attention of the parent company YUM! Brands, Inc. The parent company denied the illegal operation, and said that their supply of soy is grown in parts of Brazil. Greenpeace has called on KFC to stop purchasing soy from Cargill, to avoid contributing to the destruction of the Amazon.

Yum, yum. Sounds exactly like the sort of thing we should be supporting.

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 20 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

Seriously folks, if you are going to eat any of that rubbish more than once a month you are seriously asking for a heart attack. Why do you think the offical Maccie D's term for a regular customer is a "heavy user".

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 20 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 20 2011, 11:24 PM) *
Seriously folks, if you are going to eat any of that rubbish more than once a month you are seriously asking for a heart attack. Why do you think the offical Maccie D's term for a regular customer is a "heavy user".

By that logic, if you don't eat "that rubbish" once a month and then loudly proclaim "can i have a heart attack please?" you will get served a KFC?
huh.gif

+Quote Post
Turin Machine
post Sep 20 2011, 11:41 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,104

As I always say "the good thing about the internet is that everyone has a voice, The bad thing about the internet is that everyone has a voice" If you want to clog your arteries with transfat laden, battery reared, badly cooked garbage then go ahead ! be my guest ! Have fries with it ! See if I care when you keel over.

--------------------
Gammon. And proud!

+Quote Post
cornflake
post Sep 20 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 3,243

Wow, you seem to be personally offended by "junk" food?

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 21 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 21 2011, 12:41 AM) *
If you want to clog your arteries with transfat laden, battery reared, badly cooked garbage then go ahead ! be my guest ! Have fries with it ! See if I care when you keel over.

We should all care if he/she keels over, since we'll all be paying for their treatment if they're on the N.H.S.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 21 2011, 09:52 AM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (Decarix @ Sep 21 2011, 12:45 AM) *
Wow, you seem to be personally offended by "junk" food?

Does seem to be a slightly touchy subject for Turin, lol. Maybe he/she/it got attacked by a beef burger at an early age. laugh.gif

As for paying for treatments on the NHS, out of your yearly tax (say £2000), about 50p goes to the NHS so quit the bitchin'. We also pay for old ladies who wet themselves, should we persecute them as well?

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Sep 21 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 20 2011, 08:24 PM) *
Firstly there's the car park. It's pathetic. You can hardly fit 4 cars in let alone the 8 provisioned

Obviously a conspiracy by the medical profession wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 21 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (xjay1337 @ Sep 21 2011, 10:52 AM) *
We also pay for old ladies who wet themselves, should we persecute them as well?

What a silly argument. I suspect a person has no control over whether they are incontinent or not.
No-one is suggesting persecuting anyone. Merely pointing out that there is a cost to the Health Service caused by artery hardening food, (which is self-administered). That is a fact. Don't become so defensive. Calm down.

K.F.C. are not the only culprits (other culprits are available), but junk food now costs the N.H.S. more than the cost of smoking related illnesses and alcohol related illnesses put together.

N.H.S. Junk Food Costs

+Quote Post
Jayjay
post Sep 21 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 357

QUOTE (Turin Machine @ Sep 20 2011, 11:24 PM) *

Not a regular user, but did have a zinger salad from there - seemed fairly health, grilled chicken and salad and about 200 calories I think.

+Quote Post
Dodgys smarter b...
post Sep 21 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Jayjay @ Sep 21 2011, 12:17 PM) *
Not a regular user, but did have a zinger salad from there - seemed fairly health, grilled chicken and salad and about 200 calories I think.

Zinger Burger? 481 Calories. 37.4% fat.

Zinger Salad? (no dressing) 287 calories. 42.4% fat.

Zinger profile.

+Quote Post
Guest_xjay1337_*
post Sep 21 2011, 12:22 PM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Dodgys smarter brother. @ Sep 21 2011, 12:11 PM) *
What a silly argument. I suspect a person has no control over whether they are incontinent or not.
No-one is suggesting persecuting anyone. Merely pointing out that there is a cost to the Health Service caused by artery hardening food, (which is self-administered). That is a fact. Don't become so defensive. Calm down.

I'm not being defensive and I'm always calm.

The reason they wee themselves is because they drink so much tea. Or because they enjoy the feeling of a moist, warm flow in the afternoon. (who doesn't?)

K.F.C. are not the only culprits (other culprits are available), but junk food now costs the N.H.S. more than the cost of smoking related illnesses and alcohol related illnesses put together.

N.H.S. Junk Food Costs

I was hoping to overthrow your use of a news website by saying "how dare you try using the daily mail in an internet debate" but since you used the Telegraph which is probably the best of a bad breed, I can't really ay anything.

I think alot of it is ease. Normally at work I will bring in my own food, bread rolls, ham, salad etc, or at worst will walk to Sainsburys (I work down Mill Lane) and grab some packet chicken (Bernard Matthews for a quid, can't complain).

At work I've only had 1 KFC in 3 weeks but when I go in there, I do see the "regular" users; some are fat, some are stick thin (and I think wow how do you manage that?). But the thing is, KFC/other takeaway is so much easier. Just walk in, order what you want, eat it, and throw it away! No need to prepare, or wash up, you can often eat it from the packaging.

Still..if we keep eating and all become obese, our country will flip over and we'll end up in a sunnier climate so I'm game.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:19 PM