Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Driving Manners, What would you do?
Rachel
post Apr 27 2011, 06:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 258

Here's the scenario. You enter a narrow road having previously given way to a car - it was their right of way. You get three quarters of the way down the narrow bit, when a second car approaches, speeds up, exceeding the speed limmit, & blocks your path. The driver gestures to you that it's their right of way then accelerates at your car before stopping bumper to bumper. What do you do?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 27 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Rachel @ Apr 27 2011, 07:13 PM) *
Here's the scenario. You enter a narrow road having previously given way to a car - it was their right of way. You get three quarters of the way down the narrow bit, when a second car approaches, speeds up, exceeding the speed limmit, & blocks your path. The driver gestures to you that it's their right of way then accelerates at your car before stopping bumper to bumper. What do you do?

Sit & wait for them to reverse.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 27 2011, 07:08 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,265

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 27 2011, 08:02 PM) *

I agree. If nothing else they are wasting their apparently valuable time.
Of course, the other driver would have a different perspective....

+Quote Post
Biker1
post Apr 27 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 103

The days when most drivers were courteous have long gone I'm afraid.
It's now every man (or woman) for themselves as they and their needs are more important then you and yours.

+Quote Post
user23
post Apr 27 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 27 2011, 08:02 PM) *
Indeed. If you have a paper to hand, start reading it, blocking your view of the other driver but not their car. wink.gif

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 27 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

One small precaution - make sure your doors are locked.

+Quote Post
GMR
post Apr 27 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 33

Take his number and call the police; intimidation. Say you fear for your life. That will teach the bastard!

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 27 2011, 08:13 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE (JeffG @ Apr 27 2011, 08:52 PM) *
One small precaution - make sure your doors are locked.

Or use a persuader

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 27 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 317

1 If you enjoy fighting, jump out of your car, Effin' and Blindin', gesticulating at his window. Maybe give his car a kick or two.

2 If you don't like fighting but like to cause a scene, jump out of your car, run up to his window, tear the neck of your shirt and start screaming, "help, rape!"

3 If you don't like fighting and don't want to cause a scene, reverse up and let the fellow through.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 27 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 27 2011, 09:17 PM) *
1 If you enjoy fighting, jump out of your car, Effin' and Blindin', gesticulating at his window. Maybe give his car a kick or two.

2 If you don't like fighting but like to cause a scene, jump out of your car, run up to his window, tear the neck of your shirt and start screaming, "help, rape!"

3 If you don't like fighting and don't want to cause a scene, reverse up and let the fellow through.

Or get out, lock the car and walk away

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 27 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Apr 27 2011, 09:26 PM) *
Or get out, lock the car and walk away

Causing an obstruction?

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 27 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 27 2011, 09:40 PM) *
Causing an obstruction?

Oh dear, how naughty to avoid a confrontation, in fear etc.......
The offence is 'unnecessary obstruction' and I reckon a 'Rachel' could win that discussion......

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 27 2011, 09:01 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Apr 27 2011, 09:54 PM) *
Oh dear, how naughty to avoid a confrontation, in fear etc.......
The offence is 'unnecessary obstruction' and I reckon a 'Rachel' could win that discussion......

Maybe, but for your own safety, I would recommend getting out of the way and to not leave your car. Sadly something Stephen Cameron learned to his cost.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 27 2011, 09:03 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 27 2011, 10:01 PM) *
Maybe, but for your own safety, I would recommend getting out of the way and to not leave your car.

That may be your solution, it is not the only one......

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 27 2011, 09:06 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (NWNREADER @ Apr 27 2011, 10:03 PM) *
That may be your solution, it is not the only one......

You have dropped of your usual high standards lately! I never said it was the only solution, but I suggest it is possibly the best reaction for someone who had to ask the question in the first place.

+Quote Post
NWNREADER
post Apr 27 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 27 2011, 10:06 PM) *
You have dropped of your usual high standards lately! I never said it was the only solution, but I suggest it is possibly the best reaction for someone who had to ask the question in the first place.

Long days in the office, plus a long commute amongst the sort of numpties Rachel referred to......

70% of people, if asked, would say they are 'above average' drivers.

+Quote Post
Rachel
post Apr 27 2011, 10:25 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 258

Mmmm all very interesting, & I did indeed, consider each of them. What did I do though? I smiled, sat & thought for a minute, decided that although it would be wasting his time it would also be wasting mine, that I quite like my car & my face the way they are, that ringing the police wouldn't warant the price of the call, that I wouldn't stoop to bad language or even waste my breath on words &.....as slowly as my clutch control would allow, reversed, eventually allowing him to pass with vast amounts of room, raising my hand & mouthing "thank-you" with a smile. He passed with a smug, ungracious grin. I'd like to say he didn't win, but of course, he did, as he occupied my headspace-something I don't give away easily (let's be honest, I need it more with age!). But I can't help wondering if he went away & boasted to his mates about "beating some woman at the narrow road & making her reverse", & what sort of pleasure he'd get from that? It really doesn't matter, I know, but it was interesting to read your responses....even if it appears that I "wimped out" when most of you wouldn't have! Thank-you all!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Apr 28 2011, 08:49 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Rachel @ Apr 27 2011, 11:25 PM) *
Mmmm all very interesting, & I did indeed, consider each of them. What did I do though? I smiled, sat & thought for a minute, decided that although it would be wasting his time it would also be wasting mine, that I quite like my car & my face the way they are, that ringing the police wouldn't warant the price of the call, that I wouldn't stoop to bad language or even waste my breath on words &.....as slowly as my clutch control would allow, reversed, eventually allowing him to pass with vast amounts of room, raising my hand & mouthing "thank-you" with a smile. He passed with a smug, ungracious grin. I'd like to say he didn't win, but of course, he did, as he occupied my headspace-something I don't give away easily (let's be honest, I need it more with age!). But I can't help wondering if he went away & boasted to his mates about "beating some woman at the narrow road & making her reverse", & what sort of pleasure he'd get from that? It really doesn't matter, I know, but it was interesting to read your responses....even if it appears that I "wimped out" when most of you wouldn't have! Thank-you all!

Maybe it is a male/female thing.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Apr 28 2011, 11:00 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Apr 28 2011, 09:49 AM) *
Maybe it is a male/female thing.

Or a thick/intelligent thing.

+Quote Post
JeffG
post Apr 28 2011, 11:12 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Apr 27 2011, 10:01 PM) *
Sadly something Stephen Cameron learned to his cost.

Gosh, you have a long memory.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:37 AM