Andy Capp
post Jun 22 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 317

Newbury information panel unveiling
Saturday 23rd June 2012

On Saturday 23rd June at 11.00am Richard Benyon MP will unveil a new interpretation panel to commemorate the First Battle of Newbury. The battle, which was fought on September 1643, saw a Parliamentarian army under the Earl of Essex fight off a Royalist attempt to prevent them from returning to London. Funds for the panel, which is the first information board to be erected on the site of this major civil war battle, were raised by local Newbury residents with the assistance of the Battlefields Trust and Newbury Town Council.

After the ceremony, which will take place on the Recreation Ground, Wash Common, Newbury RG14 6QU, there will be a short talk about the battle by historian and guide Chris Scott.

http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/event.asp?EventID=438
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 22 2012, 08:50 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 22 2012, 05:09 PM) *
Newbury information panel unveiling
Saturday 23rd June 2012

On Saturday 23rd June at 11.00am Richard Benyon MP will unveil a new interpretation panel to commemorate the First Battle of Newbury. The battle, which was fought on September 1643, saw a Parliamentarian army under the Earl of Essex fight off a Royalist attempt to prevent them from returning to London. Funds for the panel, which is the first information board to be erected on the site of this major civil war battle, were raised by local Newbury residents with the assistance of the Battlefields Trust and Newbury Town Council.

After the ceremony, which will take place on the Recreation Ground, Wash Common, Newbury RG14 6QU, there will be a short talk about the battle by historian and guide Chris Scott.

http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/event.asp?EventID=438

How much did this one cost & how long before it is trashed??

+Quote Post
Exhausted
post Jun 22 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 320

I think this must be one of the new 'Vision' efforts to make Newbury a tourist spot.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 22 2012, 09:06 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 22 2012, 09:50 PM) *
How much did this one cost & how long before it is trashed??

The other one up there seems to have survived.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 23 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,011

Haven't actually seen the panel yet but I went along the the unveiling though I couldn't stay for the history talk.

An interpretation panel is good and certainly better than nothing, but there was hardly anyone under fifty there today, and that's not good - it is a park after all, so where were all the kids and the dog walkers? Panels like this get vandalised because they're put up in public places without involving the people who use the space, and that disenfranchisement generates hostility. More than that, our history is important because there are lessons we need to learn and because understanding our history anchors us to our present and gives it meaning. I would like to see a lot more done to involve the whole community in our heritage.

--------------------
Right an injustice - give Simon Kirby his allotment back!

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 23 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 23 2012, 05:49 PM) *
Haven't actually seen the panel yet but I went along the the unveiling though I couldn't stay for the history talk.

An interpretation panel is good and certainly better than nothing, but there was hardly anyone under fifty there today, and that's not good - it is a park after all, so where were all the kids and the dog walkers? Panels like this get vandalised because they're put up in public places without involving the people who use the space, and that disenfranchisement generates hostility. More than that, our history is important because there are lessons we need to learn and because understanding our history anchors us to our present and gives it meaning. I would like to see a lot more done to involve the whole community in our heritage.

I think your movements for the day possibly demonstrates why others weren't there. wink.gif Besides Saturday morning is the time when kids get their shut-eye! tongue.gif

The other thing of course is: little publicity.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 23 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 23 2012, 06:13 PM) *
I think your movements for the day possibly demonstrates why others weren't there. wink.gif Besides Saturday morning is the time when kids get their shut-eye! tongue.gif

The other thing of course is: little publicity.

It's not so much that people didn't know, more that it's nothing to do with them - this is the challenge for the Big Society. People are accostomed to being uninvolved and it will take a significant social change to reverse that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 23 2012, 07:40 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 98

Second that. A massive challenge; not only for the laity, but also the powers that be.

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 24 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 23 2012, 08:40 PM) *
Second that. A massive challenge; not only for the laity, but also the powers that be.

I see the challenge as being almost entirely one for the powers that be. We're naturally social creatures so social involvement comes naturally, but it suits the business plans of the Big State establishment to keep us all in our veal crates, and they're not about to let us out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 25 2012, 12:28 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

People don't go to this kind of thing for one reason & one reason alone - they are not interested. Nothing to do with 'Big State establishment'

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 25 2012, 12:40 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 25 2012, 01:28 PM) *
People don't go to this kind of thing for one reason & one reason alone - they are not interested. Nothing to do with 'Big State establishment'

Give them bread and circuses laugh.gif

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 25 2012, 12:42 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 25 2012, 01:40 PM) *
Give them bread and circuses laugh.gif

Don't give them anything - let them make their own minds up.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 25 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

That's not true. Other reasons will be not knowing it was on, and not being available, although I conceded that the biggest reason will be a lack of interest.

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 25 2012, 01:01 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

People don't get involved because they're not involved, but that's not a natural state of affairs. We're inquisitive social creatures and are naturally curious about our environment, so a demonstrable lack of interest in social and civic activities in public places is a sign of the absence of a Big Society in its fullest sense, and the Big Society can't happen until the Big State creates an exit strategy. That takes much more than just inviting people because those people have to be given back their interest and ownership of their society first.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 25 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 25 2012, 02:01 PM) *
People don't get involved because they're not involved, but that's not a natural state of affairs. We're inquisitive social creatures and are naturally curious about our environment, so a demonstrable lack of interest in social and civic activities in public places is a sign of the absence of a Big Society in its fullest sense, and the Big Society can't happen until the Big State creates an exit strategy. That takes much more than just inviting people because those people have to be given back their interest and ownership of their society first.

No - People don't get involved because they are not interested.

+Quote Post
Andy Capp
post Jun 25 2012, 02:34 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 25 2012, 02:05 PM) *
No - People don't get involved because they are not interested.

If that were true, then this thing wouldn't have happened.

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Jun 25 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Andy Capp @ Jun 25 2012, 03:34 PM) *
If that were true, then this thing wouldn't have happened.

Obvoiusly a few are. But not many.

I would like to see a lot more done to involve the whole community in our heritage.

The whole community does not care. A few do & they get these kind of things done.

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 25 2012, 04:17 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE (dannyboy @ Jun 25 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Obvoiusly a few are. But not many.

I would like to see a lot more done to involve the whole community in our heritage.

The whole community does not care. A few do & they get these kind of things done.

Amazing what we can do if we all get together. Trouble is, that horrid 'we' - so subsumed by 'me' over recent years. One key reason why the present establishment don't want and don't encourage involvement is simply because they don't want 'my' idea and 'my' view changed. So today's leadership is tell / threat rather than hear / deliver.

If, on the other hand, you are right Dannyboy - then the advertising industry wastes a huge amount of money!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post
Simon Kirby
post Jun 25 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE (On the edge @ Jun 25 2012, 05:17 PM) *
Amazing what we can do if we all get together. Trouble is, that horrid 'we' - so subsumed by 'me' over recent years. One key reason why the present establishment don't want and don't encourage involvement is simply because they don't want 'my' idea and 'my' view changed. So today's leadership is tell / threat rather than hear / deliver.

So true.

And dannyboy is of course right, people aren't interested. But why. Everyone has a natural interest in where they live - both in things that are happening, and things that happened a long time ago - and a community in which that natural interest has been suppressed is an unhealthy community.

--------------------

+Quote Post
On the edge
post Jun 25 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE (Simon Kirby @ Jun 25 2012, 05:58 PM) *
So true.

And dannyboy is of course right, people aren't interested. But why. Everyone has a natural interest in where they live - both in things that are happening, and things that happened a long time ago - and a community in which that natural interest has been suppressed is an unhealthy community.

People have to be enthused, remember school, an enthusiastic teacher could bring life to the dullest subjects. Another example, I didn't think I'd like opera - until a few years back my better half presented me with tickets to the racecourse! She sold on the basis of a family picnic and look how much you'd be paying at Highclere. Go most years now. Great evening and even enjoyed the music. Thanks Greenham Trust!

--------------------
Know your place!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:25 PM